“7 years +”

Straight Wharf
Ranked #12 of 140 Restaurants in Nantucket
Price range: US$50 - US$50
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Child-friendly, View, Bar Scene, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Groups
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: End of Main Street
“7 years +”
Reviewed 8 July 2014 via mobile

It's our 25th anniversary and our 7th year straight at Straight Wharf. Always a great time with tremendous service, food and drink. We always come with friends and love the food. Everyone enjoys.

Cambutal, Panama
“Great meal, great service and great atmosphere!”
Reviewed 7 July 2014

I'm a big believer in Tripadvisor so I pay attention to what's been said and more particularly, when.

Every restaurant has off nights in the kitchen and on the floor, so not surprising to see a bit of sour grapes by folks expecting more. That said, Nantucket has a way of making one angry with typically poor service and yes, very poor meals. It's the way it is here!

Honestly, our meal at the Straight Wharf was just stellar and if possible the service was even better.

From start to finish we were treated with respect and prompt service. We were greeted with a smile and seated promptly which set the tone for the rest of the evening.

Starting from drinks: I had singularly one of the best martinis ever. Not simply gin with a garnish, the drink had Vermouth and was mixed perfectly. Chilled and served "up" it was good enough to have two before dinner.

Dinner arrived at the proper moment and was frankly "perfect". Not one item on the clambake was over or under done and my scallops were perfection on a plate and done to a turn. I also had the peas/carrots with my meal and was wowed by the freshness and taste.

Dessert consisted of Nectarine Bluberry Galette and a cheese plate. Both were perfect examples of how fine dining "should" be; a fitting end to a great meal. I had a lovely Madeira with my cheese plate and was happy with both price and quality of the drink.

Now, about all those reviews regarding bad service; we experienced absolutely none of the less than perfect service that others have complained about. From start to finish, the service from everyone we encountered was exemplary.

Perhaps because I'm a restaurant owner, I was paying attention to how others were being treated and could not find fault with anything I saw. If I had the chance I would have hired our server on the spot to work for me as she was only sightly less than "the best ever".

So in a nutshell; a great meal, appropriate portion size, honest drinks and very attentive service by all. If you have not given this restaurant a try, I suggest you do so. It's the best meal we've had on the island.

Of importance to me is the fact that at no time did I feel rushed to clear the table. Service was discretely in the background; there when you needed it, otherwise we were left alone.

Recommended without hesitation. Expect a hefty tab, heftier if you have wine with your meal. Our experience was; "fine dining at it's best".

• Visited July 2014
2 Thank Ronzo4600
New Orleans, Louisiana
“Good food, snotty service makes me NEVER want to return.”
Reviewed 25 June 2014

We dined here in June. When we approached the podium, I asked if we could be seated outside, since we the FIRST to arrive for a reservation. The hostess said, "Well I am sorry, we don't have anything outside for 3." REALLY? I looked outside and there was NO ONE SEATED THERE! So we were seated inside. I have to admit that I was furious when other patrons, with parties of 3, were seated outside. It ruined my dinner.

When we were seated, I ordered an iced tea. The waitress said that they had not started to brew iced tea yet. Really? That's just unacceptable.

The food was good, but not great. I ordered a soft shell crab appetizer. Being from New Orleans, I have a high expectation for soft shell crab, and I know that how it is supposed to be cooked. Okay, the crab was raw inside, not cleaned properly, and was missing all of it's legs. Again, really? It was a HUGE disappointment.

The lobster entree was very good. It was the highlight of the meal.

I will not return to this restaurant, based on the seating and the raw crab. There are too many fine restaurants on Nantucket to put up with this foolishness, and pay dearly for it on top of that.

5 Thank Lisa M
new jersey
“A Must Visit When on Nantucket”
Reviewed 22 June 2014

I visit Nantucket each year and am lucky enough to have a friend with a house on the island who always knows the best places to go. On my first visit to the island -- over 10 years ago -- we went to Straight Wharf and had an average meal that (like everything on Nantucket) was pricey. And then my friend never wanted to go back until this year -- she had started to hear great things about this restaurant after many years of it being average.

We absolutely LOVED our visit. The atmosphere is simply lovely - a casual sophistication that wasn't too noisy. We couldn't figure out what kind of wine we wanted and the sommelier was not only friendly and helpful but very patient with us. The meal was top notch - each of us with different entrees and everyone loving their meal. Friendly and efficient service as well.

Reservations are highly recommended in the summer -- and I believe you can request outdoor covered seating (we sat inside for our dinner) and they will make best efforts to honor. And while we were in too much of a food coma to want to go for drinks afterwards, the bar seems to be quite lively.

I look forward to returning on my next visit to Nantucket.

2 Thank Tracy S
Halifax, Canada
“Great spot to try high quality local seafood”
Reviewed 22 June 2014

This is an excellent restaurant.

The staff our young but for the most part are very well trained.

The location is quite nice, located at the base of Straight Wharf on the Nantucket waterfront.

They have both indoor and outdoor (but covered) dining areas, I dined outdoors.

There wine list is short but good and they have some nice unique beers.

Similarly, the menu is short but very interesting.

I started with the wood grilled Nantucket Oysters; they were done quite well and were enjoyable.

For a main I had the Chatham dayboat scallops and asked that the chef be careful not to overcook them.

The chef prepared them pretty closer to perfect with a nice crust on one side and the slightest of grill on the other side.

All in all, I would highly recommend this as a great spot to try high quality local seafood prepared in interesting ways.

1 Thank Seafoodtraveler