“Crooks I agree!”

The Roberts House
Ranked #19 of 38 Nantucket B&B and Inns
“Crooks I agree!”
Reviewed 25 July 2014 via mobile

The aggravation of staying in a bad hotel can turn you vacation into hell and this is what happened to me. I was placed in a room where there was constant pipe noises kind like a leak noise. The A/C was not working making the room hot and steamy. The solution they gave me was to open the windows that faced the street and courtyard adding more noise to the room. My first day there, Housekeeping never came and cleaned my room. And fire allarm was triggered twice while I stayed 3 nights making me not feel safe. Breakfast that they offer for a B &B is just a disaster. To top it off I booked through booking.com and a few days later, I needed to change my booking. I called 4 days prior to my trip and the manager said he could not change my booking due to poor internet access ( obviously a lie as they have wifi) and told me to call on the following day. I did, they still said they could not help me cancel my last night that no refund was going to be given to me as per their cancelation policy.
The solution came when I checked in: they offer to put my room back on the market and sell it. Well they did sell but they notify me on the same day at 12 pm saying for me to check out and get my things out of the room. Basically they kiked me out! I told them I was not happy with that but that I would leave immediately that I was on my way to collect my things. At this point I am panicking because I was stranded on the Isalnd with no hotel and no way of going home as all my plans were for the following day! I was trying to make arrangements to leave immediately paying all penalties for flights and car. Once I got all solved and got back to the hotel to collect my things, management told me they were not giving me my money back because they could not wait for me to make up my mind which I did not understand as I told them I was going. They also blame it on my phone saying because I did not have a voice mail, they could not notify me earlier (lie as I return all my calls and i had no missed calls from them)
The hotel had moved the guest that bought my room to another room in order to accommodate my unhappiness they also made it clear they were doing me a FAVOR. I told the hotel that I made changes and paid a lot of money for penalties so I could leave now. They said go ahead and leave now but we will not refund your money. Without an option I stayed the last night and I had once again to undo all the arrangements I made to leave on the original day paying penalties again. They already done that with another customer that left and got no refund even after he left. If you book make sure you stay in this terrible B&B as they have terrible customer service and out of 4 nights could not canceled the last!

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank 879rafal
ReelsnRods, General Manager at The Roberts House, responded to this review, 26 July 2014
Although negative, we thank you for taking the time to fill out a review of our property. We're sorry you had a negative experience while staying with us, but we do stand behind our cancellation policy. Unfortunately, as you outlined in your review, you had a desire to shorten your stay within 4 days of the arrival date. You did book your stay though Booking.com, a third party online vendor. On your confirmation from Booking.com, which is followed by our own hotel confirmation email, any changes within 14 days of your arrival date are non-refundable. We are located on an island 30 miles out to sea, and while we enjoy a very busy summer season, our guests tend to book far in advance, and not at the last minute. Last minute changes like yours can often leave the hotel vacant, which is why all hotels on Nantucket have a strict 14 day cancellation policy. Prior to your arrival, as well as when you checked in, you asked the Front Desk to try to resell your room for the last night of your stay, and made a note on your registration card to do the same. At 10am on the day of your updated departure date, The Front Desk called to inform you that we had just been able resell your room. At that point you said that you were staying, and hung-up. When I personally called you back over the next hour to confirm that you were staying, you answered on my third call, and yelled at me to stop calling, and that you were now checking out. At this point we had already moved the person we had sold your room to, as we where under the impression that you were staying. When you arrived back to the desk two hours later, you informed me that you were in fact leaving, to which I told you that you were still responsible for the evening unless we could resell the room... again. A half hour later, you called from your room to inform us that you were in fact staying for the evening. We're sorry to hear that you incurred multiple change fees with your airline, It sounds like they have a similar cancelation policy similar to ours for last minute changes. We do wish you safe travels in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 23 July 2014 via mobile

This is our second year in a row staying here and this year we opted to upgrade & pay $440/night (including taxes) for the newly renovated Gate House. Reasoning was that 1) newer is better & 2) my husband is 6/3" & the shower in the main inn was situated in a dormer so he couldn't stand up straight. I am 5/3" 120 pounds & I could barely turn around.
The only good thing about the Gate House was the bathroom. It was nicely sized (marble with Warerworks shower fixtures). The rest of the room was the size of a Manhattan style room where you only have a bed & a nightstand on each size. There was no dresser so we had to hang a few items in the miniature closet that is 1/2 taken up by a fridge & safe. There is no floor space in the closet. Then we had to live out of our bags for items not hung in the closet. For $440/night, that's not right. The room itself is decorated nicely & clean but it's just not functional for a couple for 3 night. We were so cramped! We had friends in other rooms/bldgs who paid less and had much larger rooms.
In addition to that our air conditioning broke one night which was really uncomfortable. When we first arrived there was some other persons leftovers in the mini fridge. Gross... Lastly, our lock was loose when we arrived. It was clearly noticed by a maid but not reported. We didn't think it would cause us problems bc it seemed to function properly. On the last day we were locked in. We called for "help" & someone came quickly. We left for breakfast and returned to find our room door open (all our belongings umma tended) with the lock just scattered on the ground. This wasn't right. All in all, not a good experience on our second visit. We expected more.

Stayed July 2014
2 Thank Deena B
ReelsnRods, General Manager at The Roberts House, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to give a review of your stay at the Gate House. You comments mean a lot to us, and I will be speaking to the staff about your specific issues to make sure they are aware, and that we improve. Regarding the size of the room, your review is truely spot on. The room you booked is one of our more affordable Petite King rooms, of which we have six in the Gate House. The space around the bed is tight, and as you mentioned, we have tried to maximize the use of the closet to provide a safe and a refrigerator. Hopefully you plan to return to the Roberts Collection in the future, and I hope that you'll consider calling me directly, so that I can make sure you are placed in a room that best suits your needs. Sincerely, Scott Allan
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
Reviewed 15 July 2014

We had a great weekend at the Roberts House Inn in Nantucket. I loved that they let us book two nights during high season when most of the hotels and Inns require a 3 night stay. We had originally booked and paid for 2 rooms in February through Booking.com. Two days before our trip a member of our group had to cancel and we only needed one of the rooms. After speaking to the hotel, they agreed to refund 90% of our booking if they could re-book the room. They were able to re-book the room in less than a day and we were able to get our money back.
Additionally, our room was lovely, clean and nicely sized for an older in. The front desk personnel were extremely nice and helpful and the location is fabulous. I wish we had had more time to take advantage of the outside courtyard and other amenities. I would definitely stay there again!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Kellie L
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 21 June 2014

I booked through booking.com. A few days later, I needed to change my booking. We made two changes -- we changed the time from 5 days to 3 and we upgraded the room. The room upgrade went through, which proves we talked to someone. The time change did not. They stuck us for two days that we were not there. The booking agency tried to resolve it and Roberts refused.. Also, for a "B&B", cereal and bagels for breakfast is kind of weird. You can get that at a Hampton Inn.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank pjcamp1905
ReelsnRods, General Manager at The Roberts House, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Thank you again for taking the time to fill out a review of our property. We're certainly sorry that our property did not meet all your needs, but I would like to clarify a couple of points that you've made. You booked your reservation through Booking.com, and within two weeks of your scheduled arrival date, you called Booking.com to upgrade your room as well as shorten your stay. Shortening your stay is the same as cancelling room nights, and when you do this within two weeks of arrival, neither Booking.com or anyone at the hotel would make this modification for you. We were happy to accommodate your request for a larger room, but were not willing refund your last minute cancellation, that left the hotel without the time to resell your room. You will find that all hotels on Nantucket have this same cancellation policy. With regard to our breakfast, we serve exactly what we sell... a continental breakfast. While it is located in basement area, there are five windows that look out to the streets surrounding us, so not exactly the dungeon you've portrayed. Included in our breakfast are locally roasted coffees, fresh fruit, yogurts, cereals, fresh bagels daily from the bakery just down the street and fresh muffins from the restaurant next door. Hopefully you'll return to Nantucket again, and we do hope that you're able to find a property that better suits your needs.
Duxbury, Massachusetts
Reviewed 11 June 2014

I am not a fan of The Robert's House. We've stayed twice and did not enjoy our room on either occasion, The location is outstanding. We paid around $200 mid-week in early June, which I think would be considered the shoulder season for pricing.. I'm not sure how this compares to the prices in the newer rooms, but I wouldn't stay in one of the older rooms again. Our room looked nothing like the photos on the website.

We were in the main Robert's house building. The 4-poster metal king sized bed was very cheap looking and terribly squeeky. The linens were nice. The furnishings were cheap, worn out damaged wicker with very ugly outdated cushions.The lamp shades were burnt and yellowed. The carpeting was dirty. The bathroom had pealing paint and some mildew and what looked like 1950's lineoleum on the floor. It was an extremely ugly room. It did have an air conditioning unit that worked well and the room was clean enough.

The breakfast is served in the basement and is tacky for a Nantucket vacation. Did I say it was the basement? Doors to messy storage areas off the breakfast room were left open. The only bathroom available when you are in checking in is in the basement, right off the breakfast room, which is also a tacky location. The trays available to take breakfast to your room were cheap plastic gaudy flowered trays that looked like they came from a dollar store. The coffee was good and strong, which we like. Food included fruit, yogurt, cereal, coffee cakes, bagels and muffins. The criticism is really about the location. It would be fine if you were staying just off the highway at an discount chain hotel, but certainly not appropriate for staying at an Inn in a lovely destination like Nantucket. It seemed very oddly out of place, especially when you see the attractive website photos of the beautifully historic buildings, lovely furnished rooms, and charming courtyard. None of this ambiance existed in our room and definitely did not exist in the breakfast room.

The staff was pleasant and helpful. I asked if they had any iPhone chargers for guests and they brought one up right away explaining that it belonged to one of the staff. This was very kind.

Nantucket is a lovely place to visit. If I do decide to give Robert's House a try again i would only do it if I can specify a newly renovated room in the newest building, but my guess is the price will go up drastically. There probably isn't a place to stay in Nantucket for $200 in the heart of downtown that hits all the marks.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Barbara K
West Hartford, Connecticut
Reviewed 28 May 2014

This is a charming wonderful boutique hotel located at the crest of the hill overlooking downtown Nantucket. The location is spectacular...close to restaurants, shops and the bus line. The rooms are spacious, clean and modern plumbing fixtures. The courtyard is quaint with beautiful flowers. The staff is very accommodating and always aiming to please.

Room Tip: Let the reservation department help you choose.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Mark F
New York City, New York
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We rented one of the bedroom suites for Memorial Day Weekend and could not have been more impressed by the beauty of this hotel! High quality furnishings, comfy bed, and beautiful finishes in the rooms and the common areas of the hotel. The location was amazing and the staff was friendly and accommodating! Will definitely be back.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends