“This is a great place to stay!”

Star of the Sea Hostel
South Windsor, CT
“This is a great place to stay!”
Reviewed 15 September 2013

This is a great place to stay, it has a community feel with a sense of privacy. We take this trip every year and we wouldn't stay anywhere else. When we stay at the Nantucket Hostel, we are treated like family! Janet, "The Hostel Mom" keeps everything clean and comfortable. Breakfast is included, and usually consists of oatmeal, yogurt, homemade granola, toast and jams, and coffee. This weekend it also included blueberry pancakes, that were far better than the fifteen dollar pancakes downtown. There is a full kitchen (stove/oven, sink, guest freezer/fridge, cooking area) where can buy and cook your own food.... A wonderful bonus when traveling with a large family.
There are indoor showers but the outdoor showers are my personal favorite.
Take your bike, and enjoy a great trip at this historical treasure!

• Stayed September 2013
4 Thank Ncaron76

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
New York
Reviewed 21 June 2013

Nantucket lodging can be crazy expensive so this hostel is a great way to keep within a budget especially if you're traveling by yourself. It's clean and the staff is great. Available to you is a big kitchen and some other odds and ends like a barbecue and beach chairs. Your linens and a towel are provided during your stay. It's location is across the street from the beach, surfside beach. It is located on the other side of the island from main st. so a bike or car is necessary to get to the bulk of the restaurants,shops and/or ferry. I will be making a trip back there again soon. Thanks for a great stay. Eric

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank zerolimit
Attleboro, Massachusetts
Reviewed 29 July 2012

I spent a long weekend at Star of the Sea with my 80 year old mother. It is in a beautiful location near Surfside Beach. It was my first time staying at a hostel. The facility was clean, the staff were helpful and friendly and we made new friends with some of the other guests. We were provided a bed, linen and towels, including beach towels. There are kitchen facilities and we were able to store food we brought in the kitchen. We had to get used to a few things like lights out in the dorm at 10 -- the common rooms were open for us night owls ... so we were able to chat and read in the common areas past 10. Although the best way to get around are bicycles, this was not feasible for us. We were able to rely on taking the bus and taxis. The bus stop is a block and half away from the hostel and runs every 40 minutes until 5:30 pm. The taxi ride from town to the hostel is $14 for two people. There is no bus service after Labor Day.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
7 Thank Texjade
Wicklow, Ireland
Reviewed 11 July 2012

We had to make a trip to Nantucket and this was one of the few places available in such short notice. I'm nearly sure there are private rooms available but only single sex dorms were free because we booked the night before. It is far from Nantucket town and you definitely need a bike if you are planning on staying for a while. When we arrived the lady at reception was helpful told us about the beach passage straight across the road, gave us a map, asked if we needed a bike to be delivered to the hostel etc. You can't check in until 4pm but we had to be back in Nantucket town so we just left our stuff there. We had to get a taxi to and from the hostel which costs 14$ each way but it is a far enough place. We got the bus back which at the time only stopped 15-20 minutes by foot down the road. We arrived back to the hostel and were put in male and female dorms. This was a bit daunting as I was staying in a 20 bed dorm which wasn't huge and I hated having to find a place for my huge suitcase (up a flight of stairs-bit of a nightmare). It's an open-plan dorm so you have to be careful not to wake people up. They lock up at 10pm which is early so we went to bed early. Bring mosquito spray because I got badly bitten whilst there!! The basically private beach across the road is amazing and whilst we were swimming seals were bobbing around us! Really picturesque place to stay and the building is cute and quaint! They have a great kitchen so you can cook your own food and store stuff in the fridge or freezer which is nice because the hostel isn't near hotels. The other guests were in there 40s-60s so we had no trouble with them and they were very polite and having a great trip! Great if you are on a budget especially as Nantucket is expensive! Breakfast is provided as well and they have wifi and a computer.Really rustic hostel!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank SarahKinsella
Burlington, Canada
Reviewed 30 June 2012

My friend and I rented bikes in Nantucket town and made the short ride down to the hostel. We were thoroughly impressed! The location is great, right across the street from the beach and the ocean and a short ride to many of the attractions in the area. The room was clean and well-cared for, and the staff were super nice.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank Rachel084
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 April 2012

I was backpacking around the US and hadn't planned going to Nantucket, but went after a recommendation from someone in Boston. I was there a few days before the 'season' started and the bus to the hostel part of the island wasn't running. Luckily a local who I got talking to on the ferry offered me a ride up there. The hostel has contacts with a bike company who will deliver to the hostel which was great as I could then get around the island as and when I wanted, and I got a discount.

The staff were lovely, very accommodating and baked fresh food for breakfast like yummy banana bread. For the first 2 nights I was there, it was practically empty. The beach is almost on the doorstep and they have beach towels that you can use. Don't feel overwhelmed by the 20 bed dorm, it's a massive space, beautifully done out and there's a mixture of bunks and single beds. I've stayed in far worse 4 bed dorms and given the option, I'd go for this!

The girl scouts appear to use the hostel on a regular basis, but the group who were there when I was, were incredibly well behaved and when they had left over food they offered it to me which was fantastic as a budget conscious backpacker!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank Caroline K
Beau Vallon, Seychelles
Reviewed 16 October 2011

I stayed here for the first weekend of the season, and it was fantastic! It was extremely quiet, and the staff were so warm and friendly. There is a beautiful beach across the street, and Nantucket Town can easily be reached by bicycle. The hostel has a huge communal kitchen, internet, comfortable beds and is in a perfect location. For $37.00, there is not a better bargain!

• Stayed May 2011, travelled solo