“A gem in Northern Michigan”
Review of Music House Museum

Music House Museum
Ranked #1 of 4 things to do in Acme
More attraction details
Owner description: The Music House Museum is located on US31 just north of Traverse City, Michigan. Now in their 30th year, the museum presents one of the most unique music museums in America. Ninety-minute tours demonstrate fully-restored mechanical instruments dating from 1870 to 1930.Guest will also see Models of buildings from Traverse City 1930’s era. Music boxes of all sizes, a mechanical street organ, one of largest dance organs built in Belgium in 1922 , Weber Duo-Art reproducing grand piano,1924 Wurlitzer theater organ used to accompany silent films.
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“A gem in Northern Michigan”
Reviewed 24 July 2013

A fascinating museum of antique musical instuments. The docents are excellent and all the instuments are demonstrated and played which adds to the magic.
A must see.

1 Thank Pauline R

Gulfport, Florida
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Music, History, Nostalgia and Retro Tech!”
Reviewed 22 July 2013

This is a fun visit. If you love music, it may be thrilling, too.

The guides are knowledgable and enthusiastic. You can appreciate it in hour, but it takes two to experience everything.

Don't wait for a rainy day; you might miss it.

1 Thank Yonderlust
Novi, Michigan
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“If you like creepy people, you will like this place”
Reviewed 15 July 2013

The museum was interesting, but has an extremely creepy vibe about the whole place. The people are nice, but unsettling at the same time. I think they are trying to go for a haunted mansion feel, and succeeding. The history and the instruments were worth seeing if you are a music lover, but for sure go with a large group of people if you want to feel safe. I left the tour to use the restroom and when I came out, one of the men was standing right outside the door as if there were a hidden camera he was watching while people are using the facilities. I thought it would be much better than it was based on the other reviews I read. It was much smaller than I thought it would be and VERY awkward unless there is a large group of people. Honestly it felt like my day was ruined after going here, I would have rather done something different, but hind sight is 20/20.

2 Thank MichiganResident13
Birmingham, Michigan, Usa
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Musical fun for ears & eyes”
Reviewed 6 July 2013

We had visited the Museum of Musical Instruments in Phoenix in March & were quite impressed so when my friend told me about this museum in Acme, I thought it could not compare with the 3 year old one. I was so wrong! This place & the guide who gave us a tour were wonderful. We stopped just before noon thinking, "we'll be here an hour" & we stayed for 3! The wonderful part of this museum is the guide gave us the history of each of the exhibits & then put a coin in & played each one. There is so much to see & I guarantee you'll have a great time & take lots of pictures.

Visited June 2013
1 Thank Senior82
Fort Worth, TX
160 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 166 helpful votes
“Great, eclectic museum!”
Reviewed 10 June 2013

The Music House is a collection of keyboard and other musical instruments set in this large barn-like structure. It's put together very well, and provides entertaining, educational and informative displays about historical instruments and how they developed and have been used.

Visited July 2012