“Recommend to everyone!”
Review of Music House Museum

Music House Museum
Ranked #1 of 4 things to do in Acme
More attraction details
Owner description: The Music House Museum is located on US31 just north of Traverse City, Michigan. Now in their 30th year, the museum presents one of the most unique music museums in America. Ninety-minute tours demonstrate fully-restored mechanical instruments dating from 1870 to 1930.Guest will also see Models of buildings from Traverse City 1930’s era. Music boxes of all sizes, a mechanical street organ, one of largest dance organs built in Belgium in 1922 , Weber Duo-Art reproducing grand piano,1924 Wurlitzer theater organ used to accompany silent films.
Reviewed 11 August 2014

My husband and I just got back from driving the Lake Michigan Circle Tour. I had planned little stops here and there: museums, activities, towns, beaches, lighthouses, etc. I planned so far in advance I couldn't remember what some of the things I'd written down were. I remembered being very interested in the Music House Museum. My husband and I pulled up and right away we get out of the car and hear organ music. My husband looked at me like "what did you bring us to". We ended up having the best time! This was by far one of our most talked about stops on our whole trip. The museum is in a restored barn. It shows the history of automated music machines: automatons, player pianos, dance hall organs, you name it. They plan over 15 instruments for you. Admission is a low enough cost and goes toward a great cause. Our tour guide was very friendly, very informative and entertaining. They show a Laurel and Hardy clip accompanied by one of the organs. It was so much fun and since I've been home I've told everyone about it! It is a must see for those who like unique history and off-the-beaten-path stops.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

Stop here if you’re interested in music boxes and organs. The tour lasts about an hour or so with the very knowledgeable guide giving the history of the restored pieces before playing a selection or two on each. The gift shop has good section of music related items.

Reviewed 21 July 2014

The museum is housed in a former dairy barn/grainery. The original building was built in 1870. It became a museum in the 1980s sometime.

Our guide, Becky Gagnon, told us all of the mechanical music machines on her tour was created between 1860 and 1940. A two-hour tour that included music. Lots of music. And complete explanations about the player piano, jukebox, nickelodeon, phonograph or organ she was demonstrating.

The first piano Becky told us about was a Conover vertical grand piano. Think about taking hold of the back end of a grand piano and bending it upward just beyond the keyboard. There were only 50 made, and only four of those are left. There may be just one of the Paul Lochmann crank-up music box made in Germany in 1899. And that one is in this museum.

The only totally automated piece is a caged bird that tweets and moves its head and tail. In stark comparison to the little bird, the museum has a huge 1913 Bruder Brothers brass organ with 197 pipes, snare and bass drums, along with cymbals and enough volume to blow out the barn roof. It had been in a New Jersey amusement park wiped out by Hurricane Sandy.

The 1924 Cinderella Wurlitzer organ music accompanied a silent film clip starring Laurel and Hardy. A clip in which 3,000 pies met their demise.
There is almost too much to take in at the Music House Museum. But try. It's really, really worth it.

Reviewed 19 July 2014

Artifacts were varied, well preserved & functional. Lectures were well informed. Enjoyed viewing & hearing the instruments.

Reviewed 15 July 2014

Just awesome, loads of musical instruments with particularly attention to automation. Great tour. Some highlights - hear Gershwin playing his own compositions, see one of a kind stuff, Play one of only four of the type of a piano left in the world. Hear massive cinema and dance hall orangs. I cannot recommend this museum too much.

Wheelchair access only to first floor. Stairs but no lift to second floor.

Has a great little shop with some unusual products at a fair price. Nice musical themed jewelry and clothes.