“Bait and switch”

Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Adrian
Sterling Heights, Michigan
“Bait and switch”
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Checked into the assumed newly owned hotel. After entering the room all seemed well until my wife pulled back the sheets on the what seemed to be clean bed. To our surprise the bed actually both had hair and food crumbs wrapped nicely by the bed ruffle. We did get a new room however after talking to the manager if that's what you want to call him he told me he worked in this industry for seven years and it's common. Well let me tell you I have traveled for 30 years any bed with sheets not changed are discusting. Check you sheets when checking in no refund will be offered just a near $20 off the room. Won't stay there again go to the holiday inn about a mile away!

Room Tip: Try the holiday inn they have clean rooms
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Mike S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Other than the Holiday Inn this is the nicest hotel in Adrian. The rooms are nice size, modern, clean, comfortable... everything you can hope for at 100 bucks a night. This location is convenient to the highway and only a mile from Adrian College campus, set off the road a ways with a great courtyard and plenty of well lit safe parking. The indoor / outdoor pool looks great although I did not use it. Where this hotel falls miserably short is in the service delivered by its staff. Check in was ok although impersonal. Housekeeping provided a clean foundation but we stayed 2 nights and they only bothered to replace some of the towels and loosely make the beds during the day between. Trash remained, fresh soaps were not provided etc. The breakfast was neither stocked nor looked after; ran out of hot food and counters were covered with spills. Disgusting. I walked away from this. Worst of all was that this location has 2 banquet rooms and management felt it was ok to have loud music after 10pm. When I called down to ask if it was ending soon I was assured that the attendant was on her way to have the music shut off. When I finally got to sleep at 11:30 it was still on... I generally am not the person who complains about loud neighbors or music but this was excessive and obviously the interests of partygoers was more important than people who paid for a quiet night's sleep. I would like to stay here next time I am in town but will go elsewhere solely based on the performance of the service staff.

Room Tip: AWAY from the banquet rooms. Loud party are allowed to continue into sleeping hours.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Jackson, Michigan
Reviewed 8 June 2014

Indoor/outdoor pool not fully open because the maintenance guy did not come in, that meant the plastic partition was in place all weekend. Website we went to had claim of a jacuzzi and different prices. When we said something it was "you should go to our website" Took a shower and no water pressure and tub did not drain very well. Restaurant was closed and there was no room service available. Breakfast had only a few items the claimed (no waffles, no donuts, no bagels, no sausage gravy, fresh fruit was a bowl full of apples). Loved the bed!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Johnny M
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Reviewed 29 May 2014

I stayed at the Lodge for two nights on a business trip. It was interesting that I had to wait 10 minutes for a desk clerk. Even though she was within eye and earshot. Haha, I even faked a cough several times to try to get her attention. Let me just say, not the most pleasant staff and certainly not the most attentive from 10 feet away. However, it is a very nice property and looked just like a lodge upon entering. My room was clean and properly cared for when I was there. Could use a few updates. It seems they have a new owner and the bar/restaurant had no liquor license. I had asked the night before my visit if they had a pub and the answer was "Yes". Maybe explaining that Carlton has a pub.....but no license would be a great idea!
Don't get me started on the restaurant! I was the only customer ALL night....with good reason! I went to Wendys after ordering and taking three bites of the Carlton food.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Tom W
Also consider these accommodations in or near Adrian
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Dundee
Wingate by Wyndham Sylvania/Toledo
Sleep Inn & Suites
Sleep Inn & Suites
#1 of 1 in Milan

Been to Carlton Lodge? Share your experiences!