“A wonderful step into the past” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sand Hills Lighthouse Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ahmeek
Sand Hills Lighthouse Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Ahmeek B&B and Inns
Farmington, Missouri
“A wonderful step into the past”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2013

I had the wonderful opportunity to spend the night at the Sandy Hill Light House this summer. From the minute I arrived until I left, Mary and Bill treated me as family. What a wonderful history the lighthouse has and Mary loves to share it. They have definitely put their heart and soul into restoring Sand Hill.

After we arrived, Mary gave us a tour. In the evening, she served us homemade dark chocolate brownies with raspberry sauce and ice cream as she played the grand piano. She is an accomplished pianist.

The sunset and sunrise on Lake Superior is beautiful. We were up before dawn to walk the shore line and watch the sunrise.

Breakfast consisted of strawberry preserves made the day before, homemade English muffins, a baked egg dish, turkey ham, a potato dish, and the most incredible danish I have ever had..

The lighthouse is filled with wonderful antiques. The rooms are spacious, decorated with interesting antiques, and each room has a private bathroom.

Sand Hill Lighthouse is just one of those little pieces of heaven still left on this earth and Mary and Bill are the loving keepers

If you have the opportunity to visit the UP, which is some of the most beautiful country I have seen in the US, make plans to spent some time at Sand Hill. I definitely plan to return..

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank nancy s

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2013

According to the sign posted at the road and by a lighthouse web site the property is open to the public daily from 12-4 pm and the owners offer a tour of the lighthouse daily at 3:04 pm. After 4pm only registered guests are allowed on the property. We arrived at 2:00 pm and while walking around the property a woman came out of the lighthouse and said "Hello" and asked where we were from. We said Midland and my wife asked if there was a restroom available. She said "not at this time and said there was a road side park a half mile down the road" and she preceded to get into a van with a man (I am assuming her husband, I am also assuming that they are the owners, because their license plate said SNDHILL, and because check out time for guests is 12 pm). We left when they did and went to the road side park. We came back at 2:30 pm and checked the main entrance, but it was locked and no one was there and there was no sign on the door. So we waited until 3:30 pm for the owners to return, but they never did. The woman could have asked if we had come for the tour, however she did not. This was a complete waste of time, effort and gas to go way out there just to see the lighthouse and do the tour. After this experience and reading the bad reviews of this place I would never go back for the tour or to stay there. The owners could not be bothered and did not care.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Jsboettch
Lincoln, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2013

The location is just absolutely beautiful. Bill and Merry Mary have done wonders with this place understanding where they started in 1961 and where they are now. Mary takes you on the tour and likes everyone to be there so she doesn't answer the same question over and over. The lighthouse does not operate as a lighthouse today but the view from the top is breath-taking. After the evening tour Mary plays her baby grand piano as the guests eat home made cake and ice-cream. Breakfast is quite tasty and plenty of home-cooking to eat and again Mary plays the piano during breakfast. The rooms are nice and the beds very comfortable. There is an abundance of what-knots around.But Bill and Mary are gracious hosts and this is a very unique Bed & breakfast.

Middleville
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2013

My husband and I travel to the UP every summer, and to the Keweenaw almost every other year. It is one of the most, if not the most beautiful areas in Michigan. If you love the UP (and it's not for everyone - thank goodness!) you will love Sand Hills Lighthouse Inn. By the end of the tour given by Mary and Bill, you have the history of why and how the lighthouse was built there, and the information on how Bill and Mary took on this enormous adventure of restoring it. But more importantly, you have already become part of their inner circle, and you realize how special it is to be there. They truly welcome you into their HOME and treat you like long time friends. It's a very personal experience. Our room was a balcony room with jacuzzi tub. It was clean and the bed was comfortable. The Birch Mint lotion was perfect. But the best part was going up the tower to watch the sunset. There is not a more beautiful site than a Lake Superior sunset. Mary had chairs for us to use as we sat up there over an hour by ourselves that night. We went up the next morning too. We love Sand Hill Lighthouse and we'll be back, hopefully with our kids next time....or not!

1 Thank Alexis S
Conway, South Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2013

My husband and I chose the Sandhills Lighthouse B&B for both our honeymoon and our ten year anniversary celebration! We love to travel and have visited many B&Bs and a magnitude of lighthouses. When deciding where to go for our tenth anniversary, we both knew no other place could compare. Even though we arrived at the lighthouse later than we anticipated, Mary met us warmly outside and ushered us inside for one of her delicious homemade desserts. Once inside, the friendliness of Mary, Bill, and the other guests--as well as dessert, and piano playing, made ten years feel like yesterday. I love everything about the lighthouse: the lighthouse itself, the great views, the grand decor, the beautiful room we stayed in which included a whirlpool tub and a private balcony, the great breakfast, evening dessert & music, and especially Mary & Bill. I am so thankful we were able to return to Sandhills. This visit was just as fabulous as our first there.

1 Thank JennyLeigh723
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2013

My husband and I were looking for a unique bed and breakfast to celebrate our 10 year anniversary. Sand Hills Lighthouse Inn was an amazing experience. Our first impressions weren't what we were expecting. But after our detailed tour we started to look at everything different. Mary and Bill inspired us with all the faith, time, commitment and energy the put into restoring the destroyed lighthouse. You can feel their passion and love for the location, history and people. What a blessing it is that they will share their lives and home with us. I felt sick to my stomach as I read some of the reviews after our amazing stay. If we would have read these prior we probably wouldn't have given the lighthouse a shot. I pray this review encourages other couples to find out for yourself all the beauty, mystery and love in the Sand Hills Lighthouse inn. Life is all about perspective - will you focus on the piles of books or dive into those piles and fall in love with the history? That is up to you. If you are only looking for a 5 star deluxe suite then this probably isn't the inn for you but if you are wanting an amazing, beautiful, unique experience book your room now. Thank you Mary and Bill for welcoming us and taking amazing care of us with delicious food, beautiful music and inspiring stories. We will be back next summer with our kids:)

• Stayed July 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank DrTara
Kansas City, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2013

I read some of the reviews where the reviewer starts with I have not stayed at many B&B, read the review with this in mind. Personally I have stayed in B&Bs in 8-10 countries and many in the United States. I no complaints , only praise. Bill and Mary are wonderful hosts and they go far beyond what is the norm.. They will set up reservations at restaurants and give you their best advise about traveling in the area. A lot of the activities(tourist stuff) does not begin until after June 15th. So if going to a lighthouse via a boat or down into a mine remember when their season opens.. Mary played request for both my breakfast and wonderful dessert sessions. Also they can tell stories about the few difficult visitors that they have had in the past but mainly they will talked their wonderful guest and how interesting they find people.
If you need help locating the usual tourist sites they are great at putting directions into an easy to understand format. But they can get you to more off beat places if that is your desire. The visitor has to understand that this is their home and adjust to two people trying to care for up to 16 other people.. That is why dessert is at a certain time, but Bill and Mary try to be accommodating about breakfast times and menu options. I thought the history of the lighthouse and what they did to make it into a home and B&B was very interesting. If you are looking for a impersonal location try one of the local motels or hotels where you leave or arrive at your own pace.. True there is virtually no cellular coverage, but isn't that why you come to the UP to get away for a few days from the stresses of modern life and all of its problems? I found the beds to be a good compromise between extra firm and pillow top. With only 8 rooms the B&B can offer only a certain number of options. I plan to bring atleast some of my family back in the future so they too can enjoy the hospitality of Bill an Mary

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank nighthawk779
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ahmeek
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Calumet
#6 of 7 in Houghton
Super 8 Houghton
Super 8 Houghton
#2 of 7 in Houghton

Been to Sand Hills Lighthouse Inn? Share your experiences!