“Excellent - highly recommended”
Review of La Villa Serena

La Villa Serena
Ranked #5 of 133 Antigua B&B and Inns
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Excellent - highly recommended”
Reviewed 31 August 2014

Lovely rooms, fantastic, helpful owner & nice staff. Good breakfast. Nice gardens to sit in/ hammocks etc. Very relaxing. Provided with drinking water. I would highly recommend this hotel. Travelled all over Guatemala and this was the nicest hotel we stayed in.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kathryn M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Bellevue, Washington, United States
Reviewed 24 August 2014

My stay at La Villa Serena in Antigua was one of the most pleasant experiences of my lifetime. Beautiful room and courtyard, and a rooftop setting that offers exquisite views of the city skyline, the volcanoes, rainbows, birds, butterflies and lightening shows. The hospitality far surpasses any experience I have ever had at a bed and breakfast, and the meals were delicious. The owner, Marina, is gracious and warm, guided us to places and sites that would align with our interests and her intuition on that was perfect. Truly a place filled with love. A very quiet part of town and yet you are just a 10 minute walk from the center of Antigua.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed 17 August 2014

This was one of several trips to Antigua, but our first at La Villa Serena. Now, this is the only place we'll stay when here. The owner, Marina, is the perfect hostess with incredible attention to detail. The location is quiet yet still close for walking to the city square. Breakfast is terrific. I only wanted coffee and fruit and it was available, fresh and plentiful. Marina also arranged our 4am ride to the airport, which arrived at exactly 3:59am! No worries at all. Can't wait to return.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
New York
Reviewed 9 August 2014

La villa Serena is such a nice Bed & Breakfast , it is located in a quiet area yet within walking distance of the main sights of Antigua. The owner Marina is so nice and she makes you feel at home. She gives you excellent suggestions for sightseeing and restaurants .
We had a problem with the luggage that had not arrived at the airport and she called the airline for us more than once , making sure we had everything we needed while we waited for it.
We rented a car and her daughter escorted us with her car to the outskirts of Antigua so that we would not get lost going to Lake Atitlan .
We can't thank them enough !

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank flarav
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 24 July 2014

Señora Marina and her beautifully landscaped Bed and Breakfast are true gems of the lovely city of Antigua. The very comfortable "Australian Room" was ours for four nights stretched over ten days. We felt La Villa Serene was our true home away from home. From arranging travel, to providing wonderful breakfasts with eggs, fruits, beans, plantains and good Guatemalan coffee, to hosting interesting discussions with other guests, Marina aims to please. We would like to return to Antigua just to stay with her and her pleasant staff and for, Mimosa.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 15 July 2014

We just returned from our Antigua trip and I have to say it was the best Bed & Breakfast experience I and my wife have ever had. The experience was so good that after over a decade of using TA, I decided to register and place my first review.

We went with a large group for a wedding. Everyone stayed at different hotels ranging from high end to low. I don't think anyone was happier with their accommodations than us.

I am a very critical traveler. I use TA and other sites and do a lot of research before traveling. I am always concerned about the negative reviews, but, anyone who had a bad experience here, brought it with them.

Our room (India theme, second floor) was clean, charming and more than ample size. Don't let the theme idea fool you. Theme elements are just tasteful flair, you always feel the Old Guatemala in everything. Design overall is tasteful, exotic and rustic. The bed was very, very comfortable and our room was cleaned perfectly everyday while we were out.

We loved our room, but the courtyard, the smells from the kitchen, the chirping of parrots and buzzing of hummingbirds just called to us constantly, bringing us outdoors. Add a pitcher of freshly squeezed lemonade offered by our hostess and you have one of those perfect moments you dream about as a traveler.

As for our hostess Marina, at no time did we feel like anything less than family. She was simply amazing. Always available, happy to help, call a tuk-tuk (taxi/rickshaw hybrid), offer maps, guides, advice and always looking out for our interests. She was genuinely interested in helping us to have what we wanted, never trying to push or sell anything, always letting us know the full range of options.

An example: On our first night a tuk-tuk came and she escorted us to it and negotiated the price down to the right amount, making sure we paid fair rate, not tourist rate.

Just one example of many.

As I said, I am very picky, but it is hard to find faults, but if I had to come up with something, here it is:

1- I am used to higher water pressure, but the view from the shower (yes the shower) was so pleasant that I didn't mind spending a few extra minutes.

2- It is about 1 1/2 blocks away from a main road. It was a little lonely walking it home at night so we always took a tuk-tuk back. Also if we left at night we took a tuk-tuk. But let me add, I never (and I mean never) felt unsafe here.

On the other hand, its probably the best location for shopping, as you are only 2 blocks from the artisan market and the general market. SEE THEM BOTH. The artisan market has all the souvenirs your looking for, but the general marketplace is a unique experience, a tight maze that seems to go on forever with vendors selling everything you can imagine. Hanging meats, bags of nuts and spices, jewelry, animals, t-shirts, electronics...I mean everything..

I don't think we would even consider staying anyplace else when we return to Antigua. Even if it was free. We look forward to seeing Marina and Mimosa again very soon.

As a final note, as others have stated, Marina was very responsive with our questions and request before we left and shes fully bilingual.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Michael M
Miami, Florida
Reviewed 14 July 2014

From the second we knocked on the door of this seemingly-unassuming bed and breakfast, we were treated like family for our entire stay. From the modest outside, you would never guess the beauty that awaits on the inside. An open courtyard with cafe tables, gorgeous plants, bookshelves filled with books, a shaded seating area with comfortable seats and magazines and free access to "agua pura" (a purified water jug) 24 hours a day which is a blessing in Guatemala! Marina, the owner of this adorable bed and breakfast, feels like a long-lost relative who wants nothing more than for you to enjoy your stay. Her laid back, "take-a-load-off" demeanor and always-at-the-ready-to-help attitude means she is not only a hands-on owner who greets guests, she is a friend who gives great advice on where to eat and visit in the area and how to get around. She also gives you your space and allows you to ask for assistance and is not pushy in the slightest. She is also a stellar breakfast cook who prepared an amazing veggie omelette with rosemary (wow! yum!), a side of fruit, bread and coffee when I told her I was vegetarian. I got the feeling that this place attracts equally as warm people as Marina as our first morning there, we ate breakfast with a couple who returns to this B&B nearly every year. We talked for hours with them and will certainly be keeping in touch. Our room and beds were very comfortable, clean, and a nice hot shower is always appreciated after a few weeks of travelling with unreliable access to heated water. There is a TV, a safe, a large table and chair and a large bathroom and tub. My only minor disappointment was that I booked a room with a queen size bed, but got a room with 2 single beds for me and my husband. I thought this was my mistake when booking, but realized after our trip that my confirmation of reservation reiterated that we booked a "Queen size bed." We only stayed for 2 nights, so it wasn't much of a problem - though it was part of our honeymoon. :-) It was a bit humorous. I would also say that the decor of the room we were in was a bit dark for my taste as I am someone who thrives in bright rooms, but that is just a preference thing. The bright courtyard and beautiful terrace with hammocks was just steps away from the room, so I just moseyed out there when I wanted to soak up the sun. Although the hotel is not directly in the city center, it is definitely walkable to all main areas of interest. Tuc tucs are 10Q per person to anywhere in the city - that is a little over $1 per person - when we didn't feel up to walking. Marina was lovely enough to book us a taxi to the airport on our last day with someone she trusted. This removed some stress from us. We got there safely and soundly in great time. All in all, we had a wonderful stay and would definitely return! Thank you, Marina!

Room Tip: Make sure you confirm how many/what types of bed(s) are in your room before you arrive.