“Wonderful hospitality and a peaceful atmosphere”
Review of La Villa Serena

La Villa Serena
Ranked #5 of 133 Antigua B&B and Inns
Kobe, Japan
“Wonderful hospitality and a peaceful atmosphere”
Reviewed 13 December 2010

We stayed there for 3 nights and had a great time. It is located in a quiet area,but not far from the squire(10 min. walk). Each rooms are nicely decorated and comfortable.The owner, Marina speaks English very well and she always smiled and made us feel at home.We had tamales for breakfast and tasted really great, so we asked for her to have it again and she prepared for our last day.
When we returned from Pacaya Volcano at night, we were too tired to go to the restaurant and she offered some bread and tea in her kitchen.
Thanks Marina!

• Stayed November 2010

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
New York City, New York
Reviewed 20 July 2010

I was supposed to stay only one week in Antigua but I ended up extending my trip by an additional week due the charm and hospitality of this place and its owner. I found here something that I rarely find in my trips. In Villa Serena you can find an absolute dedication to every detail, an incredible sense of beauty and excellent taste. Every detail has been carefully thought through.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled solo
sydney
Reviewed 9 April 2010

I went to Antigua for Semana Santa and was lucky enough to get a room at La Villa Serena at relatively short notice. ( I doubt people will be able to do this in the future when word spreads however)

The rooms each have a unique theme which have been done really well ( even an aussie one for me !) and are of the same standard as a 4 star hotel.

As there are only 6 rooms around a great little courtyard it has a great friendly family atmosphere . Make sure you head up to the roof deck to take in the incredible view of the looming volcano from the comfy banana lounges !

I really enjoyed sitting in the kitchen at breakfast and discussing my adventures with the dynamic mother daughter duo of Marina And Marietta ( they spoke better english than me !) and in many ways my time there felt like i was on a home stay .

Being a 10 minute walk from the center it felt like you were staying in the "real " Anitgua and meant that it was super quiet which combined with the excellent beds i was always bouncing out of bed to take on another day in Antigua.

I even got help with my spanish
stay here - its great

kevin gibson

• Stayed April 2010, travelled solo
Long Beach, CA
Reviewed 23 March 2010

My wife and I took a break from cruising on our boat to visit Antigua. We stayed 4 nights with Marina and her daughter Marietta at Villa Serena. We were lucky to be there during the build-up of the Easter processions. Marina went out of her way to ensure we saw the sights, restaurants, events.

Our room was beautifully appointed in a Turkish style. Each of the 6 rooms has a different theme. Marina has used tasteful antique furnishings throughout. The rooms are large, exceptionally clean, with full bath. A complete breakfast is offered each morning either in the lovely patio or the splendid kitchen/dining area: coffee, juice, eggs, toast, fruit.

This is a quiet, comfortable, friendly little hotel where you feel right at home. It was nice to return each night from the bustle of the city to a quiet evening and a good sleep in a comfortable bed with down pillows and comforter ( it gets cool in Antigua compared to the lowlands). The price per night for the room was terrific value. Though the location is a touch outside the central area it is an easy walk (10 minutes) and well worth it for the peace and quiet. We'll return.

John and Mary Newport, Long Beach, California

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 21 March 2010

My husband and I only had a few days off work, so we found La Villa Serena B&B had availability for the short time we would be in Antigua. It was wonderful and perfect for a couple who likes being away from crowded touristy areas. We were kept well informed by Marina, the owner (who is charming, caring, and professional), about all details pertaining to our arrival at GUA, transportation she arranged to and from the airport, information about Antigua, arranging a day trip to Volcano Pacaya (which we recommend doing), and any other special needs we had. Marina runs a clean, organically beautiful B&B, where the rooms are small, quaint and intimate. The views from the rooftop deck are stunning. Breakfast was served by her wonderful staff who tolerated our lack of spanish speaking abilities. The outside entrance is subtle and well kept, and once inside the doors, it is an oasis of lush plants, orchids, antique furniture, and spotless. It is a safe area all over, and an easy walk into the city center of Antigua, about a 10 minute walk to the Central Park. A grocery store is 5 minutes away walking. The beds are comfy, shower and bathroom well maintained, soap and shampoo provided, rooms cleaned each day. We stayed in the Moroccan room with nice breezes flowing through the windows and deck doors. We recommend this to anyone who enjoys peace and quiet, kind service with a smile, simple accomodations, and a home away from home feel. Thanks Marina!

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ume03
Auburn, CA
Reviewed 26 January 2010

I stayed at the Villa Hotel Serena for 3 days in January, 2010. It was absolutely delightful. I was somewhat hesitant, because I could find no reviews. But, I wanted to be near the Hotel Soleil where my friends were staying and I didn't want to spend as much. It couldn't have worked out better. I paid $55 USD/night for a room with 1 person and thought my room was nicer than those at the Hotel Soleil (which was almost double the price).

The B&B is located in a quiet area in the SW corner of town. If you're looking for it, you need to turn onto the Callejon Espiritu Santo (an alley off of the larger Calle Espiritu Santo). The area seemed very safe, though I was careful not to go walking after dark.

Marina, the proprietor, and her daughter, Marietta, were both delightful people and went out of their way to make me feel at home. They both speak English beautifully and were a great source of information about things to see. Beyond that, they gave me "extras" above and beyond what was expected including afternoon tea on one day and a light breakfast with much-needed coffee on the morning I arrived (after an overnight flight).

My bed was very comfortable. The shower was hot with good water flow. Soap and shampoo were both provided. I was able to borrow a hair dryer whenever I needed one. And, there was a safe in the room to keep my belongings secure.

Everything I could possibly say about this place is positive. My only hesitation is that my comments might drive up the price or prevent me from being able to get a room the next time I want to stay there.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled solo