“Great Service”
Review of Black Cat Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Antigua
Black Cat Inn
Ranked #89 of 135 Antigua B&B and Inns
Reviewed 26 February 2013

The employees are all so nice and helpful, no matter what you're looking for they will help you fid it. Its close to the central square but also far enough away that it doesn't get too loud. The food is good, great deal for the price.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 11 February 2013

I found it really average, while traveling alone they charged me 200 for the night for a room which was really dark and not that clean. The bed comfort was very average, and there was no air entrance to the bathroom which means all the room gets humid after a shower.

The only very positive point is the breakfast which you can take on a terrace upstairs and the location, it's very central.

Apart from that I found better places cheaper than that in Antigua.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 9 October 2012 via mobile

The place is a bit rustic, geared toward the backpacker. But the staff is friendly, the The view from the terrace is incredible, the Wi-Fi signal is good, and the breakfast is delicious. The only negative is the quality of the shower. In all a good value for your money.

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank Sinko
Reviewed 30 July 2012

I stayed at this hostal multiple times when I was travelling Guatemala. I always came back to it as my base, because it was comfortable, clean and the best thing was the staff- they were sooo nice!!

Strong points included comfortable, clean beds, spacy rooms with storage space, free lockers to put your valuables in, gorgeous grounds (garden with fountain, clean comfortable dining area, roof terrace, reading area which was very secluded and perfect for alone time), security at night i.e. a night guard, free breakfast with a lot of choices off the menu, and they were mostly very good, i had nearly all of them!! There was also free internet including a computer to use if you didn't have wifi. The showers were always hot, and there was always handwash and toilet paper available in the 3 bathrooms. The central location was brilliant, and it was literally just around the corner from the Black Cat Hostal, if you want more of a party vibe (but that one isn't as nice). The dorms are about $8USD a night, which is good value for money. So much nicer than the Jungle Party Hostal.

The staff were extremely helpful, funny, friendly and kind. Rosario even went out of her way to quickly package my breakfast up for me in a takeaway container when a shuttle driver, who arrived early, unreasonably refused to wait 2 minutes for me to eat it (but he waited 10 minutes for some boys who we later picked up, just because they were in a group of 7). they will also give you a free sandwich, which is very good, if you miss breakfast for whatever reason, including if you check out before 8am.

Plus one day when it was raining, Rosario brought my clothes in from outside where I'd left them to dry, as I was out all day.

I would thoroughly recommend this hostal, particularly if you are looking for somewhere quiet or relaxing rather than a party hostal.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Angel889
Reviewed 27 July 2012

My wife and I stayed at Black Cat Inn for 2 nights. It was the first place we came across that had availability, looked decent, and was cheap. The staff was very helpful and the breakfast was pretty good for only 2 USD more a night. We stayed in the "dorm" which meant cheaper rates but shared living space. The rooms are sufficient enough. The beds (get the wooden ones if possible) were comfortable with bedding.

Overall we enjoyed our stay. We would have rated it better had my wife not found bed bugs in her bed on the 2nd night. We understand that with so many people coming and going and with the rates so low bed bugs can sometimes be an issue. It still doesn't make it any easier to sleep in a place that you know has them. We did inform the staff and showed them the bugs and they promised to take care of it.

If we visit Antigua again and don't see any more reports of bed bugs for Black Cat Inn, we may stay there again. But, most likely we will pay a bit more and try to find a better place.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jhanes8425
Reviewed 22 July 2012

Dominick runs the place with his beautiful, belly dancing girlfriend/wife. the rooms were shared with 3-5 other beds, but not always full. It only cost $5-10 USD and offers a great fresh breakfast from a full menu. They will even package it up for you to take, in case you have early day plans like taking a tour of the volcanos near-by. For the price, you couldn't ask for better!! but this is more of a "traveler's" type of hostel.

Room Tip: 3rd floor is best... but wi-fi is better on the first floor.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank NickP1972
Reviewed 19 July 2012

I went to Guatemala to install solar panels and help contruct a bajaréké wall. Our first few and last few nights were in Antigua and I was extremely happy to stay here.

Location: so close to the center plaza as well as the markets. Perfect location; very well lit and there is a 24 hour security. There is a staircase that leads to the roof where you have a nice view of a volcano. Great place to have breakfast

Food: Always go for the smoothies. They were phenomenal. I would try all different types of dishes they have to offer.

Service: They were very helpful and attentive. Whenever we had questions or needed something, they were quick to give or find us the answers. They can set up shuttles and tours of the Antigua or other cities nearby or even to the airport.

They have one desktop computer near the front that anyone can use, however the internet is a little slow. But it enables you to get business done if you do not have a computer. If you do, they have wifi, which i was able to use with no problems or delays.

Room Tip: Choose rooms further away from the front; they are quieter and away from the hostel style bedrooms...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business