“DIRTY!!!!”
Review of Black Cat Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Antigua
Black Cat Inn
Ranked #88 of 133 Antigua B&B and Inns
“DIRTY!!!!”
Reviewed 17 September 2013

Filthy hostel. The shower and bathrooms were disgusting not to mention the rooms. We had a private room and it was like a dungeon, the matters was about 5cm thick and my partner got riddled with bed bugs. Not one or two but about 50-60. Would never stay here again due to the dirtiness. Good breakfast though.

• Stayed September 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Citrus Heights, California
Reviewed 21 July 2013

Has its charm with a nice courtyard with columns. Centrally located near the city square. There is a restaurant and a rooftop bar. It is nice and quiet, provided there are no noisy guests. The day and evening front desk personnel is very friendly, well spoken, educated, and helpful and ready to assist any way possible. English is spoken. There is a restaurant/kitchen on the premises and a rooftop terrace.
The room I was given was large, but had some electrical issues. The TV did not work, which was because of those odd problems. Not a big problem, they immediately gave me another room. An excellent breakfast was included. They arrange tours and transportation to many location in and outside of Guatemala.

A two minute walk takes you to the central square where you will find, on the side across from the Cathedral, banks that have ATM rooms.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 20 June 2013 via mobile

Stayed at the black cat inn in Antigua with a friend of mine. It was very authentic, comfortable and clean. Short walking distance to the center of the city and food is decent. They have some tasty vegetarian options as well. They organize shuttles for you to other cities at a decent price if you don't want to take the chicken buses. Black cat inn is also an easy place to meet other travelers so I definitely recommend staying here when you come to Antigua. They have a black cat hostel as well.

• Stayed March 2013
Prescott, Arizona
Reviewed 6 May 2013

We had arrived at the Black Cat Inn way late at about 12:20 am. It was the end of a very tiring and frustrating travel day and we were BEAT. The older gentleman met us at the door and showed us to the dorm room and told us we could choose our bed. We had a quick look and decided on a pair which were close to each other. We passed right out.
At about 4am, I'm awoken to an itchiness on my arm (!). Right away, i grab my flashlight besides me and click it on--- !?!? WTF !?!? --- a HUGE bed bug! I then grab for my camera and take a picture. I crush the bug and ( grossed out, but far too tired, far too late to do anything else about it) past back out. When i woke the next morning, i felt as though i had been attacked by mosquitos in the night, but i knew better...
I went to the woman at the front desk and told her about the bed bugs- She doesn't believe me- "We've had them before, but now we clean very well". I show her the picture i took in the night- she still doesn't believe me (?!). I ask her to follow me into the room and show her the blood spot from the smashed bed bug- her doubt is wavering now. Right then, i grab my flash light and search the bed frame- there are casings and bed bug crap all over- "That is from before" she says (in spanish). Then i notice a crack in the wall above the head of the bed, so i shine my light on it--- full of bed bugs!!! Now she believes me for sure.
She ends up offering a bottle of bed bug spray killer so we can spray our bags, and she also offers us $3 off the bed.
This place gets a terrible because of the way our host reacted and also because after we paid and were spraying our bags, they were showing backpackers the room, not closing it for proper treatment.
Also worth mentioning, there was another guest who asked us why we were spraying our bags. After we explained, he told us that he'd been there for a few days and just thought that he was waking each day with a lot of mosquito bites, in lines, across his legs and back. Nope, bed bugs. He was in the next room over.

I'd be willing to bet that this place was not cleaned/ treated effectively at all after we left.

Other than the beds, we can't say how this place was, but if the beds are filled with parasites, who cares?

There are other affordable and clean (bed bug free) hostels in Antigua. Keep looking.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank onlinepersona

Travellers are raving about these Antigua hotels

New York, New York, United States
Reviewed 28 February 2013

This place is very casual, quiet, and homey. The staff was very helpful in planning our excursions, the beds are comfortable and there is a great rooftop patio that is good for hanging out. There is free breakfast, and my friend and I missed it because of having to leave really early so they kindly packed us sandwiches to take on the road. The space feels very open and airy. They also offer free internet.
A reliable place to stay!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
San Diego, California, United States
Reviewed 26 February 2013

The employees are all so nice and helpful, no matter what you're looking for they will help you fid it. Its close to the central square but also far enough away that it doesn't get too loud. The food is good, great deal for the price.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 February 2013

I found it really average, while traveling alone they charged me 200 for the night for a room which was really dark and not that clean. The bed comfort was very average, and there was no air entrance to the bathroom which means all the room gets humid after a shower.

The only very positive point is the breakfast which you can take on a terrace upstairs and the location, it's very central.

Apart from that I found better places cheaper than that in Antigua.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled solo