“Bed Bugs!” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Black Cat Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Antigua
Black Cat Inn
Ranked #82 of 126 Antigua B&B and Inns
Vernon Hills, Illinois
“Bed Bugs!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2013

I thought the hotel was just mediocre to begin with (average rooms, not the comfiest beds, unreachable staff), but then my friend got bed bugs.... rather than give him a free nights stay and pay for all his clothes to be laundered, they gave him free laundry and a 20% discount on his stay. I thought that was pretty ridiculous.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Andrew P

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2013

The location was nice, the staff were helpful and the free breakfast in the morning was great... BUT my cousin and I stayed in a private room with a double bed and we were attacked by BED BUGS during the night. Nothing like bed bugs to ruin the rest of your trip. Itchy bites, how incredibly hard it is to get rid of them off your clothes and luggage, and the fact you are basically quarantined when you get home because it's so hard to be sure if they are completely gone! For that reason alone, that awful torturous night, we would never return to that hostel!

• Stayed September 2013
3 Thank canadagirlie

Travellers are raving about these Antigua hotels

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2013

Filthy hostel. The shower and bathrooms were disgusting not to mention the rooms. We had a private room and it was like a dungeon, the matters was about 5cm thick and my partner got riddled with bed bugs. Not one or two but about 50-60. Would never stay here again due to the dirtiness. Good breakfast though.

• Stayed September 2013
Citrus Heights, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2013

Has its charm with a nice courtyard with columns. Centrally located near the city square. There is a restaurant and a rooftop bar. It is nice and quiet, provided there are no noisy guests. The day and evening front desk personnel is very friendly, well spoken, educated, and helpful and ready to assist any way possible. English is spoken. There is a restaurant/kitchen on the premises and a rooftop terrace.
The room I was given was large, but had some electrical issues. The TV did not work, which was because of those odd problems. Not a big problem, they immediately gave me another room. An excellent breakfast was included. They arrange tours and transportation to many location in and outside of Guatemala.

A two minute walk takes you to the central square where you will find, on the side across from the Cathedral, banks that have ATM rooms.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2013 via mobile

Stayed at the black cat inn in Antigua with a friend of mine. It was very authentic, comfortable and clean. Short walking distance to the center of the city and food is decent. They have some tasty vegetarian options as well. They organize shuttles for you to other cities at a decent price if you don't want to take the chicken buses. Black cat inn is also an easy place to meet other travelers so I definitely recommend staying here when you come to Antigua. They have a black cat hostel as well.

• Stayed March 2013
Prescott, Arizona
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2013

We had arrived at the Black Cat Inn way late at about 12:20 am. It was the end of a very tiring and frustrating travel day and we were BEAT. The older gentleman met us at the door and showed us to the dorm room and told us we could choose our bed. We had a quick look and decided on a pair which were close to each other. We passed right out.
At about 4am, I'm awoken to an itchiness on my arm (!). Right away, i grab my flashlight besides me and click it on--- !?!? WTF !?!? --- a HUGE bed bug! I then grab for my camera and take a picture. I crush the bug and ( grossed out, but far too tired, far too late to do anything else about it) past back out. When i woke the next morning, i felt as though i had been attacked by mosquitos in the night, but i knew better...
I went to the woman at the front desk and told her about the bed bugs- She doesn't believe me- "We've had them before, but now we clean very well". I show her the picture i took in the night- she still doesn't believe me (?!). I ask her to follow me into the room and show her the blood spot from the smashed bed bug- her doubt is wavering now. Right then, i grab my flash light and search the bed frame- there are casings and bed bug crap all over- "That is from before" she says (in spanish). Then i notice a crack in the wall above the head of the bed, so i shine my light on it--- full of bed bugs!!! Now she believes me for sure.
She ends up offering a bottle of bed bug spray killer so we can spray our bags, and she also offers us $3 off the bed.
This place gets a terrible because of the way our host reacted and also because after we paid and were spraying our bags, they were showing backpackers the room, not closing it for proper treatment.
Also worth mentioning, there was another guest who asked us why we were spraying our bags. After we explained, he told us that he'd been there for a few days and just thought that he was waking each day with a lot of mosquito bites, in lines, across his legs and back. Nope, bed bugs. He was in the next room over.

I'd be willing to bet that this place was not cleaned/ treated effectively at all after we left.

Other than the beds, we can't say how this place was, but if the beds are filled with parasites, who cares?

There are other affordable and clean (bed bug free) hostels in Antigua. Keep looking.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank onlinepersona
New York, New York, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2013

This place is very casual, quiet, and homey. The staff was very helpful in planning our excursions, the beds are comfortable and there is a great rooftop patio that is good for hanging out. There is free breakfast, and my friend and I missed it because of having to leave really early so they kindly packed us sandwiches to take on the road. The space feels very open and airy. They also offer free internet.
A reliable place to stay!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends