All reviewsrain showerjunior suiteamerican breakfastprivate gardenconverted conventhot tubvisit antiguaspacious roomquiet streetsitting areasecond floorspent two nightsroof terracelake atitlanan oasisguatemala citythe location is perfect
Reviewed 9 July 2012

After reading reviews of several hotels at the Tripadvisor, I had booked a romantic package at this property and me and my wife were treated as royal guests. The room was fantastic not less than any 5* star hotel with rain shower and for this package they placed roses on the bed. Since the reservation included dinner & breakfast Executive chef Titi Bruderer prepared delicious fish with excellent spices and a full breakfast.

All the staff particularly those at the reception were very cooperative. This hotel is also walking distance to all the attraction and therefore those in search of outstanding property in Antigua must stay at this hotel instead of any big expensive property.

Reviewed 1 July 2012

I stayed for 3 nights, and I had never slept so good in my life. The beds are like a pool of down feathers you never want to leave. The hotel is beautifully designed. The spaces feel warm and comfortable, like it were you house. The lighting is beautiful and the people couldn't be nicer. But I do have to say that I find it strange that in a coffee producing region, there is no coffee maker in the bedroom. I stayed in a suite with a private terrace and a jacuzzi, but I have to say that I don´t think it´s worth it. The jacuzzi is more like a man made tub, big enough for one and it was raining quite a bit so we couldn´t really take advantage of the terrace. I asked and regular rooms have the same beds.
One more thing: they have a "renowned" restaurant, but everything in the menu has coffee in it, and the prices are ridiculous. We decided to always eat out. Antigua is full of excellent restaurants with far better prices.
Although it seems to be far from the park (center of Antigua) it really is only a 10 minute walk. And I find the location to be excellent as you are far from all restaurant and bar noise. Free parking is available in the back.

Reviewed 26 June 2012

Gorgeous Hotel
No follow through with request to help cancel an extra room upon arrival
Week long visit
No wireless
No working in room telephones for 3 days
Medical professionals unable to keep in touch with practice
Unwilling to negotiate breakfast for lack of wireless or telephone

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
2  Thank Meander269719
Reviewed 20 June 2012

We only carved out two nights to visit Antigua from our recent trip to Guatemala. As soon as we entered the city limits we knew we would regret not booking at least 2 more days!
It is a surprisingly short, 40 minute, drive from Guatemala City, on a perfectly manicured 4 lane roadway, with mountaintop views of the surrounding countryside. Entering the "city of doors", as some call it because of the beautiful walled in properties and ornate doors and passageways, we found the cobblestone streets impeccably clean. Brightly painted stucco, red tiled roofs and flowers everywhere welcomed us as we made our way towards city center and the El Convento Boutique Hotel. If it weren't for the modern cars that are allowed to drive on the cobblestones, one would think they've stepped back in time.
El Convento Boutique Hotel is directly across the street from the Templo Convento de Capuchinas (church and convent of the Capuchin nuns). The hotel itself may or may not have been part of the original convent structure, but it certainly is historical and a perfect example of Spanish Colonial architecture in this former Spanish Capital of the Americas. All of the rooms are unique to themselves and beautifully decorated. The beds are incredibly luxurious and comfortable. Our very large bathroom had a tub that was built into a grotto with lovely stones and mosaic. The bedroom was quite spacious with an indoor fireplace and patio with plants, a tree, bistro table and chairs and a large jacuzzi! If there weren't so much to see in this Unesco World Heritage city, we wouldn't have left our room!
Public spaces at the hotel were delightful. An outdoor living room w/fireplace was a comfy place to sit in the evening and the warm fire was welcoming in the cool air, even in June (Antigua lies nearly 6000 ft above sea level). A winding staircase leads to a second floor bar and lounge area, all open air. The pool is small, and lap designed, but beautiful with dark, dark blue tiles. The plants in the courtyard are breathtaking and we saw several hummingbirds in residence!
The restaurant is lovely and the food skillfully prepared by a renowned chef that has recently taken over the kitchen.
The staff was extraordinarily friendly and helpful in every way.
This is a gem in Antigua!

Room Tip: We stayed in room Dona Anica, a junior suite.
1  Thank smar530
Reviewed 5 June 2012

El Convento is a lovely hotel in Antigua, Guatemala. The property is an old colonial convent that has been transformed into a beautiful boutique hotel. I have stayed in several hotels in Antigua and I'd say that this one is the most sophisticated in terms of amenities. The public areas of the hotel are beautiful, complete with a cozy living room & fireplaces, a relaxing lap pool and surrounding courtyard with benches and other seating, to a rooftop bar and balcony with beautiful views of the volcanoes and rolling hills.

I traveled with one other girlfriend and we stayed in a double room with central air, soft cozy beds, large flat screen TV, powerful (awesome) hair dryer, and L'Occitane toiletries. Turn down service is wonderful.

The staff were all very accommodating from front desk, to bar staff, to housekeeping.

I will certainly return if I'm ever in Antigua again. You can't go wrong here.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends