“Full of character”

El Convento Boutique Hotel
Ranked #2 of 75 Hotels in Antigua
Reviewed 26 December 2012

I loved this hotel but then I just loved everything about Antigua! It might seem a bit of a rabbit warren but there is a long narrow courtyard and the rooms are off that. I loved the huge skylight in our room in place of a window. The room was large enough and the bathroom had a very large shower recess, great for hanging any hand washing to dry. The large orange owl piece in the lobby was the symbol of Antigua and of course I found them in town and bought one to take home. However they did not give me a wake up call at 4am as requested and the breakfast box to go did not materialise so the last morning was a bit disappointing in terms of service, but the doorman had a smile and the porter came and got my suitcase. Free wifi here worked well. The food was very nice - I had lunch and breakfasts - not large servings but delicious.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends

Reviewed 20 December 2012

Nestled away behind a large unassuming brick wall is this quiet hideaway. Several lush outdoor courtyards leading to the 20 odd rooms make this hotel appear smaller than it actually is. We stayed here for 2 nights (each one on different ends of our trip to Lake Atitlan). Both our rooms featured an extremely comfy king bed, ample room, a living room (large flat screen tv), a good sized bathroom with lovely enclosed glass shower (rain shower with pressure control), huge soaker tub and a private grotto/garden with our very own outdoor jacuzzi. The staff was amazing, accommodating, pleasant and went out of their way, time & again to give us top notch service with a smile. The in house restaurant was very delicious, inexpensive and serving good portions. On our last night there we invited some friends to the hotels rooftop garden lounge, sat by the fire, ordered wine, beer and a cheese platter. We were undecided on where to eat dinner that night, after wandering the city much of the restaurants had closed. We returned to the hotel and the staff happily sat us down and weighted on us with impeccable service despite the late hour.

Be sure to use their black tiled lap pool located in the center courtyard garden. I recommend a warm soak in your private Jacuzzi and a dip in their serene pool (located under a 100 year tree canopy with lanterns). A perfect way to unwind after seeing the sights in Antigua and before you enjoy a great meal (make sure you hit Hector's, a local hole in the wall gem with divine food). After doing my share of world wide travel, this is the hotel that all hotels will now be measured up against. There was just something inexplicably amazing about every second spent here. A true gem. Well done!

Room Tip: Make sure you try their restaurant. Not only was the food delicious, but the service, atmosphere &a...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 December 2012

A medium sized boutique hotel, decorated with very good taste and with wonderfully comfortable beds. I would definitely recommend it!! I had no problems with the service despite the fact that I had heard this issue from some friends.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 November 2012

this is a beautifully restored building, good central location, the interior design is pretty and the rooms are comfy.
however there is something lacking in the personnel/management of the property. its hard to put my finger on what was wrong but just a few examples:-
the wifi was out for the first couple of days of our stay and although i kept informing the same two receptionists (i did this each time i had to walk down the street to a coffee shop to use their wifi), however each time i reminded them of the problem they acted as if it was the first they'd heard about it (another guest over heard me complaining and informed me they had been telling the same people for four days, with the same reaction).
there is a beautiful roof top lounge and bar area with a pretty outdoor fire place that was perfect for watching sunsets but in the three hours i spent there over two evenings no staff was ever present and no one ever appeared to see if we would like a drink or food.
our room had no information about the hotel, services available etc., no room service menu, no price list for the mini bar etc. again i informed the hotel but when we left four days later we still didn't have them in our room.
the property is pretty, location good and the rooms are nice but something is off here, perhaps its a lack of management.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank divenuts
Reviewed 18 November 2012

Charming hotel but they need to get their act together.

We called the hotel to request someone pick us up at the airport in Guatemala City and followed to request confirmation. No one got back to us. When we arrived at 11:00 p.m., no was there to pick us up (Guatemala City can be scary place). We called the hotel and were told that the driver had mechanical problems (never did they try to make other pick up arrangements. The next morning the reception manager told me the travel agency failed to make the necessary pick up arrangements. What travel agency? We made arrangements through their hotel. Their idea of making it up to us was to deliver chocolate covered strawberries to our room.

At check out, we were not given a detailed billed (their printer wasn't working). I was assured that they would email it to me but I have yet to receive it.

Yes, it's a beautiful hotel but our experience was not pleasant.

Room Tip: Get a room upstairs. Downstairs rooms are very noisy.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank Barron432
Reviewed 2 November 2012

We had a delightful meal here with friends, they have created a very tranquil place inside the Hotel and the food was stunning.and staff attentive. We viewed the roof terrace and would have dined there but it was late and I wanted to avoid Mosquitoes. We were shown around the Hotel and the accommodation by the staff as we would like to stay in this Hotel next time we visit Guatemala.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 October 2012

An absolutely beautiful transformation with great attention to details. It's very hard to remember you're in the third world. The staff are excellent. They are very knowledgable and helpful. The rooms are gorgeous, clean and excellently equipped. There's free wifi in each room, a wood burning fireplace and excellent amenities. I got some of my best sleep of my trip here. It was much needed as well.

Room Tip: If you're on the first floor, make sure no one's above you. It can get noisy.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple