“A small place to enjoy heaven”

El Convento Boutique Hotel
Ranked #2 of 75 Hotels in Antigua
Reviewed 14 July 2013

My wife and I got engaged and had our civil wedding here. We decided to stay at El Convento for our wedding night. It is a boutique hotel offering outstanding service, friendly customer service and exquisite cuisine.
Our room was a suite called ¨Bella Epoca¨. We were greeted with champagne and rose petals in various places in the room. We purchased a package for dinner, which was offered directly in the room. It had free internet access. All bathroom amenities were included (robe, towels, etc.).
We ate in the restaurant for the continental/american breakfast. Previously we had lunch and dinner there too, and we can testify that the food exceeds the expectations of those with good taste for food.
The architecture is aligned to the colonial form of Antigua, which makes the hotel a romantic, unique and high quality place to stay.

Room Tip: The Bella Epoca suite is an excellent room for those who are traveling as a couple and want somethin...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mechdig

Reviewed 7 July 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed at El Convento for four nights in July. I am extremely particular about cleanliness when traveling. El Convento was spotless. The rooms were spacious and lovely and the bathroom was huge. The bed was so comfortable and cozy. The entire hotel was immaculate and everyone catered to our needs. We did not eat at the hotel, as we prefer to explore restaurants in the city. The menu did look good and the restaurant was gorgeous. I will most definitely return to this gem of a city and when I do, I will stay at El Convento once again.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank HPMcSWIGGINS
Reviewed 30 June 2013

rooms are amazing at a very reasonable prize, restaurant is great but wine selection is not too good. Located in a very central position, everything is at walking distance. It is a must if you go to visit antigua

Room Tip: The suites are amazing
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 May 2013

I Highly recommend this hotel. Beautiful spacious rooms and gracious service. Wonderful food in the restaurant. Charming character and easy walking distance to everything. Can't imagine a better place to stay in antigua. The only problem: we arranged for them to send a car to meet us at the airport and it never showed up.

• Stayed: November 2012
2  Thank Debra G
Reviewed 25 May 2013

I just read the less favorable reviews and I do not see any observable signs of the complaints listed from past guests. There is a new management and the desired improvements must have been made because all I see is a lovely manager who is present and attentive, lovely, friendly and helpful staff, a gorgeous hotel, a gorgeous suite (I'm in the Hermano Pedro suite)-- immaculately clean-- and, wonderful food both in the restaurant and in room service. My personal opinion as a repeat visitor in Antigua (I come once a year) is that this is the best hotel. I do not understand why the currently rated #1 hotel is the one currently listed as such. I find Hotel El Convento superior in all aspects described above, and, additionally, the location is top notch and more desirable. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank cbeb9
Reviewed 18 May 2013

We stayed at El Convento for two nights recently. We had a gorgeous room on the ground floor with an outside Jacuzzi. The bed was deliciously comfortable and the bathroom was spacious and well designed. The hotel arranged for us to have a massage in our room one evening and it was the best I have ever had anywhere in the world, which is saying something! My only negative comment would be that the restaurant staff did sit around a lot chatting amongst themselves and there didn't appear to be any management around at all to manage them. None of the waiters spoke English, which made ordering anything other than what was offered for breakfast (fried or scrambled egg) a bit frustrating. We didn't eat dinner at the hotel so can't comment that. The roof terrace was gorgeous but it was too windy on the afternoon we went up there to stay for too long.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank arentwelucky
Reviewed 15 May 2013

We stayed one night while in Antigua and this place was perfect. Very tastefully designed, friendly staff and centrally located. Great find. I would love to stay at an El Convento everywhere I travel.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple