“Nice small hotel, good location”
Review of Hotel Lo De Bernal

Hotel Lo De Bernal
Ranked #9 of 139 Antigua B&B and Inns
Reviewed 12 April 2012

Small hotel, rooms are nice, if you can choose, choose second floor, first is noisy. Is 2 blocks away main street, so you can walk everywere. Breakfast is not really breakfast, just eggs ans cereal, but you can easily find something to eat in the area

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank AngelBravo

Reviewed 4 March 2012

Hotel is very nice and in a good location you walk 7 blocks to the main strip where all the bars and clubs are. Wont be necessary for a taxi I didn't take one while there for a weekend. If your going to Antigua stay at this spot its a safe neighborhood. Don't use the tour guides the hotel provides its bit of a rip off but if your there to party and drink Mono Loco is 2.5 blocks right then 5 blocks right.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 August 2011

They have the most confortable beds I have ever slept in!! Also the hotel is very cozy and well located, near the Calle del Arco. I would totally stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2011
Reviewed 8 May 2011

We stayed here for one night in January at the end of our trip, when we unexpectedly decided to come back to Antigua and our original hotel was booked up. We weren't expecting much, but I was quite surprised by how nice it was given the rate. I didn't hear the roosters that previous reviewers complained of, in fact, I slept better here than at Posada de Don Rodrigo due to it's slightly less central location and no traffic noise.

Postives
Small inn with boutique feel, including cute courtyard on both lower and upper levels.
Staff spoke enough English that it was never awkward.
Nice sized rooms, comfy beds, impecabbly clean, modern amenities but with quaint Guatemalan charm like wood beams.
Wifi that always worked, even on the second level, farthest from lobby.
Negatives
No bathtub - not a big deal if you like showers, and the showers were capable of getting HOT!
Close to the arch, but 10 minute walk to central park - which isn't a big deal as Antigua is such a picturesque town to walk in anyway.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank AureliaDifani
Reviewed 5 April 2011

I'm sitting at the lobby waiting for our ride back to the airport and I am still in awe of this hotel and the beauty and charm of Antigua.

My husband and I stayed here for 5 nights and not once were we bothered by noise. This is a very quaint B&B. Only 9 rooms and very private. The staff were excellent and ready to answer and help us in any way despite our "poquito" Espanol.

Our room (103) was a bit small but this did not bother me or my partner at all. Though the bathroom did not have a tub, the shower area was roomy and hot water abundant! We slept peacefully and the beddings were very comfortable.

Breakfast was adequate. Fresh fruits and made to order eggs (for an extra $1 and well worth it!) coupled with toast and Guatemalan coffee (yum!) or tea. We suggest adding other fruit varieties for breakfast though. Room service is available but we chose to venture out for dinner to local restaurants. Try the La Merced Panaderia by the way for fresh empanadas and bread! The panaderia is about 2 blocks away from the hotel in front of the La Merced church.

Lo De Bernal was a fantastic choice for us!!

Cheers and enjoy your stay here!

Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank yana21
Reviewed 12 March 2011

Having read another review that mentioned the crowing cockerel we tried to book another hotel with the travel agent, but were unable to do so for the first night of our stay in Antigua. All I can say is thank God we didn't have to spend all our four nights here!
The cockerel first started to crow just after midnight and then off and on for the rest of the night. A shame as the room was a good size and quite comfortable. The breakfast was continental style, but adequate. Free wifi. Overall I do feel sorry for the owners misfortune to be living next door to such a noisy bird!

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 January 2011

This is a fine enough boutique hotel I guess, but a couple things were off for us, so I would absolutely never recommend this hotel to anyone.

1. The rooster ruins your stay completely. He has no sense of time and woke us up first at 5 AM, then 4 AM the following day, then 3 AM the day after that. He is next door evidently, but it feels like he's right in the room with you. For $140 a night, it's ridiculous that we couldn't get a good night's sleep because of this. I asked the front desk if there is anything they could do, but they said they didn't know where the rooster was and that it was a neighborhood one with no home (though I sincerely doubt that). This is not a street with chickens running around, there really shouldn't be this problem. If I were the hotel owner, I'd make it my business to find that rooster and ask the owners if I could "relocate" it to a farm or something.

2. They charged us $1 extra per morning if we wanted eggs. REALLY? $1? Talk about nickel and diming. Again, for $140 a night, it seems silly to me to charge us extra.

Other than that, the hotel was decorated nicely and I could see how people could think it's cozy. La Antigua has so many other hotels to choose from though, so I'd recommend checking them out instead of this one.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank margot90066
Bernalrebonito, Manager at Hotel Lo De Bernal, responded to this reviewResponded 7 January 2011

Thank you so much for your review.

I´m so sorry you had such an inconvinience with the rooster, I can guarantee you that we are taking meassures on the subject on tryin to find the rooster and negotitating a deal with its owner. Hopefully this topic won´t be a problem anymore in the future.

I really hope we can be able to change your point of view about our hotel. And again we apologize for heh inconvinience you had.

Sincerelly,