Hotel Posada San Pedro
US$154
US$130
  • Breakfast included
US$206
Hotel Las Camelias Inn(Antigua)(Great Value!)
US$54
US$48
US$186
US$153
Hotwire.com
All reviewstop floorcentral parksmall hotelaguaguatemalaplaza
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 19 December 2013

For the price (see my photo) one gets a very nice lodgings in the heart of the city.
The hotel is pretty basic but clean and well kept. No breakfast is offered on hotel premises but just next block there's a great coffee bar serving excellent a la carte breakfasts in the morning (great selection of coffees and cakes rest of the day).
The room sizes vary, those on the ground floor (with direct access from the patio) are big (some 30 sq.meters) and the upper floor ones are approx 20-22 sq. m. - strangely, the hotel tariff does not reflect that.
Antigua is quite safe but the main entrance to posada (great ancient hallway) is locked at all times - one needs to ring the bell for the receptionist.
We would choose Posada San Pedro again, mainly for its perfect location and the old colonial feel we like very much.

Room Tip: Try to book ground floor rooms - they're bigger than the upper floor ones
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank jaybee4133
Reviewed 2 December 2013

This hotel was an excellent value for the money in November of 2013. Very clean, excellent service at the front desk and right in the hub of town. I read another review about someone getting mugged outside the front of the hotel, but my sister and I stayed there alone without feeling at all unsafe at anytime. We also returned late at night without a problem. The staff was so nice and accommodating, I can't imagine saying anything bad about them or my experience there.
I ordered a hotel taxi to take me to the airport for 270Q because the regularly scheduled shuttle (for 9Q) was inconvenient. The hotel set the whole thing up with no problem. The driver they hired works for them (Eswardo Juan) and he was prompt, friendly yet professional and very safe. He even wore his seatbelt, which I hadn't seen before in that country! Overall a great experience!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Cindy M
Reviewed 8 October 2013

The 3ra av. Sur location is such a great choice. It is not far away from the night and day action, and the hotel is really clean and comfortable. It feels like if it was a big house owned by a friend who just let you use it. The bathroom was O.K. the toiletries weren´t of very good quality. Wi-Fi didn´t have the beast reach and there is no T.V. inside rooms. If you are travelling with your car, there is only 1 space available, inside the house and during the night only. The street at night is really lonely so you might want to watch out and be on the look-out when you get in late. It is the kind of place you are looking for if you aren´t interested in something else other than just sleeping comfortably and safely, and taking a shower and feeling clean and fresh. It has the ideal price just for that. It is a really a basic accommodation but really enjoyable. There aren´t many guests at one same time, but when there are, it is a great place to meet and socialize with them, since there is a common Wi-Fi and T.V. area. I will really go back to this place on my next visit.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 October 2013

My girlfriend and I were mugged and attacked outside this hotel last week (7a Av location). We were coming home from dinner at 10pm and were waiting outside after pressing the buzzer for them to let us in. The hotel took ages to open the door and while we were waiting, a man came up behind my friend, ripped her bag from her, and hit me over the head with a glass bottle. It all happened extremely fast.

My girlfriend was screaming and banging with her fists on the door and we were actually surrounded by strangers who wanted to help us BEFORE the hotel staff finally opened the door. I was covered in blood and my girlfriend had to scream at them to call the ambulance as they were just standing there doing nothing. If a local tourist guide hadn't helped us interpret with the ambulance and drive us back to the hotel after the hospital, I don't know what we would have done. I even had to return a bloody towel to the hotel before leaving in the ambulance as they wouldn't let me keep the towel (seriously? they were going to wash it and use it again?)

I had 3 stitches to my head and overall it was a very scary and frightening experience for both myself and my friend. We had a wonderful trip in Guatemala overall and the people we met along the way were so friendly and helpful. However this hotel and it's staff were not amongst them. It was our first night in the hotel and they did not warn us that we should be careful coming back or that it would take them a long time to open the door. It also seems suspicious that the mugger and his friend on a motorbike were standing across the road from the hotel when we returned, combined with the length of time it took them to open the door for us. I'm not sure if the hotel was in on the mugging but if you decide to stay here, please please for your own well being, be very careful coming back and be sure to look around you at all times.

The hotel staff hardly said anything to us when we returned from the hospital and said nothing when we left the next morning.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
7  Thank Tien P
Reviewed 4 July 2013

We stayed at the 7a Ave Norte location. While nondescript on the outside, the building has two lovely inner courtyards. It has been well restored with lots nice decorative touches. While breakfast was not provided, there is a kitchen and dining area, and we were able to use the refrigerator to store a box breakfast/lunch prior to a 4:00AM departure for Copan. Filtered water is provided and a lockable storage drawer. Nice shower with hot water. We had a comfortable 2 floor double room with cross ventilation (no need for air conditioning) and views of the courtyards and surrounding mountains (which were nearly always clouded in). There are several pleasant sitting areas. The staff were helpful (though being able to speak Spanish was an advantage). The quality of the rooms seemed variable, so it would be wise to check them out before accepting one. The location was quiet, except for the firecrackers that are set off frequently all around the city until late at night (a problem anywhere in Antigua). We would certainly return to this quaint hotel.

Room Tip: Check out more than one room if possible. Rooms on the second floor between the 2 courtyards are probably best if you like cross ventilation and views.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple