“Good Value”

Posada Don Diego
Posada Don Diego
Ranked #28 of 133 Antigua B&B and Inns
Reviewed 14 February 2014

The owner, Carlos, speaks perfect English and was more than helpful with local info.etc. We found the staff to be very courteous and fun. We had a large room facing the courtyard which was just what we wanted. Street level access without being directly on the street - coffee shop situated in front (served the best coffee!) great Guatemalan breakfast - reasonably priced.
The location was perfect - right across from La Merced and a short walk to shops and restaurants.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Posada Don Diego

Reviewed 31 December 2013

Located in the back patio of a coffee shop, these rooms allow easy in-and-out thanks to their ground level access in a central city location. We stepped out of our rooms and sat at nearby tables for tasty food and beverage. This place is a hidden gem.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 June 2012

We stayed at posada don Diego for 3 nights, this is a great family place, Carlos, the owner speaks perfect English and will help with every little thing, his family is great and we had an amazing time, the location is perfect, just too bad it didn't include breakfast and the beds were not comfortable....

• Stayed: April 2012
Reviewed 27 January 2011

We stayed six nights and found out that Posada don Diego provided us with everything we needed: safe place to stay, warm shower, comfortable beds, good location, clean rooms, internet connection, a view to the volcano, and transport to and from the airport at not the most convenient time of the day. Maria Isabel, Carlos and the dog give a personal touch to the Posada and look after their guests.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 January 2011

I just returned from Antigua and thanks to a tip for a fellow TripAdvisor traveler, I stayed at this little posada for 5 nights. I was doing a homestay with a family prior and it was not working out, so I moved here. What a great choice I made!! Carlos and all the ladies who work in the cafe are warm and are happy to accommodate you as much as possible. I got the sweet room in the very back which has a window to the backyard and the volcano. It was super quiet and the sleeping was good. Plus this room has a "regular" shower (not the usual electrical wired showerhead) that I really appreciated!! The location is awesome, right by the Merced church. I really recommend this place! It's not luxurious, but for the price, it's fab!

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 8 July 2010

It's in a safe location, central to anything you need. We stayed here for two weeks and the staff bent over backwards to accommodate us. We were in Antigua for 6 weeks and spent the beginning of our trip in a homestay. They are either hit or miss but I wouldn't suggest staying at one if you are a couple. Many of the families run their homestay like a business and it is not truly immersion. The hotel manager/owner is available to speak more Spanish to us than our family was. He also speaks English if you need that.

There are only a few rooms and that makes it really peaceful. There is free wifi and a computer you can use if you don't travel with one. Most of the rooms have TVs and they have around 80 channels. It's nice to reconnect with world events. There is a maid service everyday and fresh towels. Also the cafe in the front of the hotel is delicious. It is extremely affordable for how nice of a hotel it is. I highly suggest it.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 March 2010

I stayed at Posada Don Diego a few time during my two month visit to Guatemala. I enjoyed the safe, intimate atmosphere of this inn with its quiet sitting areas, friendly staff and the owner, Carlos, is helpful and warm (and serves the best coffee in Antigua). The rooms are clean with hot water and cable TV. Carlos even allows you to use the computer in his office area!! My favorite room is the new addition towards the back but if you are traveling with a group he has a great room with 4 single beds and lots of space. I can only comment on the two rooms I occupied, I didn't see other rooms available.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled solo