“Great Space, Average Staff”
Review of Earth Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Antigua
Earth Lodge
Reviewed 2 September 2013

Positives:
The Tree House and it's private bathroom were a wonderful space. We loved just relaxing on our private deck and the quiet. The view was spectacular. It was clean.

Negatives:
You really have to eat your meals there unless you want to go all the way back to Antigua which is a bit counter intuitive given that you wouldn't want to leave the tree house. Dinners are on a scheduled time and you have to sit and eat with all other guests. Great if you're traveling solo or wanting to meet other young people, but not so much if you want privacy/alone space.

The staff were a bit too high strung (again, fine if you want to meet other young people, but not so much if you'd prefer a quiet and relaxing time without having to make small talk).
Dinner was served 30 mins late. The meals were also too pricey as far as Guatemala standards go AND they didn't mention a tip that they automatically added to our bill when we were checking out. I'm happy to tip, but they should have informed us that, or passed a jar around after the meal, or simply added it on to the meal that already had a pre-determined price anyway.

Also I had to walk back up to the reception area to request towels for our bathroom.

Getting to the location from the closest van drop off point is steep and on un-smooth paths -- we didn't have any warnings if not we would have carried packs vs. luggage cases.

Room Tip: The treehouse has a private bath and is separate from other spaces, so it's private and undistur...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
brihavey, Owner at Earth Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 9 September 2013

Hello, thank you for your review of Earth Lodge. I'm sorry you didn't completely enjoy yourself, but I would like to respond to a few things you mentioned. First of all, the walk down to the lodge is mentioned several times on our website as well as in several reviews here on TripAdvisor. I'm sorry you didn't know about it, but we do encourage people to not bring rolling luggage. For those reading this, please leave the rollers at home and bring a backpack.
Our staff is encouraged to be social, and we are a lodge that is known for it's family style meals, which encourages guests to chat and socialize. Again, this is mentioned in several places on our webpage and on this site, I guess you weren't in the social mood when you came here!
As far as the service charge, it is listed on our menus that we add 10% propina (tip) to the food cost, which goes to the kitchen staff. I guess you didn't see this, but it is required by law in Guatemala to inform the guests when there is a service charge added. I have reprinted this in larger letters to add to our menus.
In summary, if those reading this are traveling with rolling luggage, are not up for the walk down the hill and/or from their room, and don't feel like socializing, then perhaps Earth Lodge is not the best place to come. We do realize that we can't make everyone completely happy, but we try our best with what we have!!
Thanks again, happy travels.

Reviewed 11 August 2013

We made the trek up to Earth Lodge after hearing about the vistas and the restaurant. Wow, are we happy we did. The property is beautiful with a laid back yet professional vibe. We did not stay at the property but we did tour the rooms and they were more than adequate. Indeed, the views and the environment are what Earth Lode is all about. We also had a quick bite at the restaurant, the guacamole and salsa were out of this world! After several days in Antigua - the prices were fair to us!

Don't be fooled, at Earth Lodge - what goes down (The property is down a steep hill on the side of a mountain) must come up! The walk up feels much shorter - but it is an effort!

Highly recommended!

Room Tip: The tree house is awesome!
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 August 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed here and it was wonderful. We did get lost and had to be chased down by two Guatemalan children who obviously knew we had no idea where we were going. After that it was a decent walk to the hostel. Anyway, all I can say is what a great atmosphere. You can spend hours just watching the clouds roll over the hills, hiding the volcanoes, and then revealing them in all their splendor just minutes later. The staff is awesome, down to earth, and always helpful. We stayed in the tree house, it had its own bathroom/shower facility, both with views to match. The food and drink are great, you won't go hungry, just keep an eye on your tab. I drank more than I realized during happy hour, but it's worth it. The hot water is hot, so that was pleasant. My friends and I enjoyed the Mayan sauna, it takes a little to get started, so bone up on your Boy/Girl Scout skills. Transportation to Antigua is nice, bumpy (as expected). It's the perfect location to catch up on reading, make new friends, play cards, and otherwise enjoy being alive. Hiking in the area is great, it can be as challenging as you make it.

Room Tip: The tree house provides a lot of privacy and its own bathroom/shower. I visited August 2012, not 20...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 July 2013

If you want peacefulness, good views, vegetarian food that's delicious, and great hospitality then this place is calling your name! About 20 minutes away from Antigua proper, you get the best of both worlds: city life in Antigua during the day and tranquility in the evening. The owners and the staff are VERY friendly and knowledgeable! The grounds are beautiful and the cabins are cozy.
I wish I had the opportunity to stay in their famous treehouse -- next time! I would definitely recommend this place to anyone who wants a unique experience in Guatemala!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 8 July 2013

Well I'm from Guatemala and somebody recommended the place. Its a great place if you are into nature and green, its a great place to rest and forget about everything! The staff its great, very nice owners and volunteers

TO DO
There's not much to do around but they have a great selection of movies, books and board games you can use. There's a computer and WIFI. There's also hiking trails and a temazcal (sauna). All these with no extra cost.

FOOD
The food is really gooood! But its kinda expensive though, its about Q40-60 ($5-7), in quetzales its expensive :P... Drinks are between Q25 and up. ($3 and up)

ROOMS
I rented the Canopy Cabin wich is very cozy and nice, they share a bathroom with 2 other cabins and these are pretty neat. The prices are great. I would've loved to try the Tree House

GENERAL RECOMMENDATIONS
Bring a lantern and mosquito repelent. Its not a place for senior people (unless their physical condition is great) because there's an uphill road you have to walk to get to the lodge and cannot bring a vehicle.

Room Tip: Recommended Tree House or the Canopy Cabins.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 June 2013

Great and tranquil place. Awesome views and a good vibe. Nice, helpful staff, cosy cabins, morning yoga and free sauna.

The food here is really good but also quite pricy for Guatemalan standards. There aren't really other options for food around and no kitchen to use at the Earth Lodge so you depend on their pricy (but good!) restaurant.
The dinners at 65Q were super good and you can normally get seconds. Breakfast and lunch was too expensive and in my opinion falsely advertised when for example the "HUGE bowl of yoghurt and granola" barely was what I'd call big. Their porridge is the best I've ever had!

The wifi is ridiculously slow but you wouldn't wanna spend your time online when staying at this awesome place anyway. I recommend you have your further travels planned and arranged before coming here so you don't rely on an annoying Internet connection.

All in all a very recommendable place. Especially if you enjoy tranquility and are okay with a food budget of 150+ Quetzales per day

Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 June 2013

My son and I had the pleasure of spending two days and nights at the Earthlodge in early June 2013. I had seen the Earthlodge in the Moon guidebook to Guatemala and it sounded interesting so I looked them up online and reserved the Deluxe Tree Cabin for a Friday and Saturday night. We spent our first two nights in Antigua and then took a shuttle, arranged through Earthlodge, up the hill with a group of pre-med students who were also staying there. It is a bit isolated but that is part of the charm of the place. We found the tree cabin to be very clean and comfortable. The only minor issue was while we were there a torrential downpour hit and because there is a tree trunk going through the cabin there was some water leakage into the cabin. In the morning I had moved the pillows from my bed to the bench next to the tree to write in my journal while staring out the window at the gorgeous view. We were up at the lodge when the rain hit and when I returned to the room one of the pillows was completely soaked and the other one damp on one corner. Not a big deal as I was able to get dry pillow cases for the slightly damp pillow.

The food was outstanding and I feel reasonably priced for the quality. We enjoyed the family style dinners on Friday and Saturday nights. Breakfast and lunch were ordered off the menu and were equally as delicious. The staff was friendly and helpful. One day we decided to hike around the hills near the property. We were given a map and directions on where we could hike. We took in some gorgeous views of the area although we did run into a couple of dogs on the trail who weren't happy with us being there. After we moved through the dog's territory we were OK but we picked up a couple of "walking" sticks just in case. We hiked a fair distance back into the hills and became a little lost- we could have backtracked but instead we kept going and eventually ran into some people working to clear a patch of hillside. They gave us directions to get back and we chose a trail to avoid the dogs.

I would definitely recommend the Earthlodge and would love to stay there again if my travels bring me back to Guatemala. A couple of caveats though for potential visitors. First, it is bit of a steep hill to get into and out of the property from where the shuttle drops you off. Not a problem if you're used to carrying a backpack but potentially an issue for some. Also, because of the hillside location there are quite a few stairs to some of the cabins. To our tree cabin there was rather steep set of stairs to access the cabin. Also, that particular cabin doesn't have a private bathroom so it means climbing up and down the stairs to use the facilities. There are lots of activities to do at the Earthlodge- games, reading, conversation, chilling in a hammock or deck chair, etc. but if you're a Type A needs to be active during the day you may want to think about what else you're going to do other than hiking or you may go a bit stir crazy. Our two night stay was perfect for us.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family