“Excellent value hostel”
Review of Base Camp Hostel

Base Camp Hostel
Ranked #39 of 111 Speciality Lodging in Antigua
Reviewed 29 August 2012

Not much to say - hot shower, clean sheets and towels, great staff, just a minute away from the Sky Cafe where you can watch an amazing Guatemalan sunset or lightning storm. A snip at just Q70 for a dorm bunk.

Room Tip: Dorm bunk is spot-on if you've a night to kill.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Base Camp Hostel

Reviewed 23 August 2012

The staff here are very friendly and the hostel has a great atmosphere. This was my second time in Antigua staying in a hostel, and this was a much better experience than the last hostel I stayed in(at the last one, staff were hard to even find, and I brought bed bugs back to the states from that one....) Everything is clean, no bed bugs, and they make a hot breakfast for you. I think I saw something that said they have a continental breakfast(which means cold stuff to me...) but they actually made us huevos and frijoles this morning, which were both very good. Maribel (?) the employee who prepares breakfast was very friendly and patient in communicating with us in Spanish. They have free wifi.

They have a water heater for the shower, but it only gets warm, not hot -- that's the most that I can complain. Also, the walls are SUPER thin -- you almost have to whisper for travelers in other rooms to not hear you. Overall, I would definitely stay here again and recommend it to others.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 July 2012

I stayed at the Base Camp Hostel (OX) for 3 nights with 7 friends. Our original plans at another hostel fell through, so we ended up reserving the whole dorm at OX on short notice. They emailed back right away and were very nice - the first good sign. The dorm has 6 beds, 3 in each bunk (high but sturdy.) They put in an extra mattress for us, no problem. There are lockers in the dorm where you can keep your stuff, and we were told upon arrival that we would need to use our own padlocks. We didn't have any, and the staff gladly lent us one. We put our electronics and passports in a locker, and left the rest of our stuff in the dorm whenever we were out. Even though you can't lock the whole dorm, I felt that my stuff was secure there - and nothing was taken. It helps that the front of the hostel is just an office for their adventure stuff, and it doesn't say "hostel" anywhere, which in my opinion makes it more secure.The room was very nice, with its own bathroom which contained a very nice shower - great pressure and hot water! The bottom and middle beds have curtains which you can close, and all the beds have a reading light coming out of the wall. Excellent. The dorm has a nice window seat looking out onto the street, as well. The rest of the hostel was very nice, too. TV, ping pong table with good paddles, nice lounge area. I didn't see the two private rooms but I'm sure they were great. My friends and I all felt very at home there. The kitchen is great, it is big and has tons of pots, pans, plates, etc. that anyone can use, as well as plenty of fridge space. We were able to cook a few meals there with no problems. The location of the hostel is great as well, only about 4 blocks from the Parque Central, and across the street from the Cafe No Se, which is a great spot! Also, when one of my friends had to leave early due to a medical emergency, the staff at OX expressed their concern and promptly refunded my friend's money for the last two nights. All in all, I highly recommend the Base Camp Hostel. I had absolutely no problems with it, and I will definitely be staying there on any future trips to Antigua.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 June 2012

Friendly staff, great services, lots of nice perks. The hostel and room are spacious. Lots of hang out spots and big beds with plenty of plugs and warm showers. Right next to Cafe No Se which is a great bar I would recommend. I would also recommend their awesomely outfitted excursions. Volcano hikes and bike tours are rad.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 June 2012

One night I found myself in Antigua on a cold rainy night. I had a bus to catch at like 4 in the morning, and decided not to get a hostel bed and just wait around for the bus. Problem is that the bars all close pretty early, and I had nowhere to even wait out of the rain. So I shuffled into the base camp hostel and begged some shelter for a few hours. To my delight and surprise the fellow at the desk greeted me warmly and showed me to a nice warm couch where I could sit down and relax. It was a true moment of hospitality and charity, he didnt charge me a thing and only asked that I return the favor by writing a review. So this review is a little late in coming but here it is. The place is really charming, small and quaint but very clean and well put together. If I ever went back to Antigua I would certainly stay there. Thanks guys, for helping out a weary traveller.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 25 January 2012

This hostel is a bit quieter then some of the others (one dorm room), but the rooms are decent, staff are great, and shower is hot. Each bed in dorm has its own power plug and light which is really handy. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 4 December 2011

My only dealings with Base Camp was finding out two weeks after making a reservation that they had "overbooked." The manager's excuse was she was new to the reservation system. Any place that takes two weeks to figure out they were double booked should probably be avoided.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family