“compassionate help”

Hotel Los Encuentros
Ranked #19 of 135 Antigua B&B and Inns
Reviewed 16 June 2014

After many times in Guate I finally caught a stomach bug. Driving into town, I remembered this little hotel from a previous visit and how to get there. We arrived at Hotel Los Encuentros without reservations, with me being fairly sick. The proprietor Irma and her family members also were so kind to help us out with calling medical personnel, and Irma took care of logistics and clean-up for us. -- The small hotel is centrally located, 5 blocks or so from central park. It's clean, has hot showers, although there was no daily room service (perhaps because I was sick?). We had a private bathroom, which was great. The breakfast was outstanding! We met such interesting people while we were there and while I recuperated. We will definitely come again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 3 June 2014

What a great place, the location is terrific, it's clean, comfortable and has actual hot showers, the first I had in my entire experience in Guatemala. I will definitely stay here again, and as a single woman traveling alone, I felt very well taken care of by the hostess Irma who really went out of her way to help me.
It was also a quiet place where you could get some rest.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 18 May 2014

After my stay here I received several emails from Irma asking me to write a review. To me that seems pushy, I have never experienced that before. So here's my review... Location is good. Irma does not speak much English, I only speak a little Spanish, this make communication a bit difficult. Irma is very nice but that does not make up for several shortcomings of the place. My bedroom has 1 window with no screen. To keep the cool air, or any bugs out, the wood door of the window had to be closed, which made the room very dark, almost claustrophobic. Room was looking run down, wobbly furniture, dirty mirror, in need of a deep clean. I was here for four days and there was never housekeeping in the room. Housekeeping did not visit the shared bathroom either. The trash can in the bathroom was overflowing and if you know anything about how Central American plumbing works, you know how disgusting that is. The bathroom trash can was not emptied until my last day. My stay here was decent, but I don't think I would return.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank Wanderlust6336
Reviewed 17 May 2014

My wife & i stayed at Los Encuentros for two weeks in April/ May 2014 whilst doing volunteer work in the nearby village of San Mateo. Irma provided us with lots of help and friendship so we felt like we were living with friends not just at a hotel. The breakfasts were delicious and filling, and the atmosphere was very nice. The double room with bathroom met all our needs. It was lovely to sit on the roof area , to sunbathe or just chill away from the noise of the town ( especially as one week was Semana Santa when things get a little manic).
The hotel was only a short walk from all the main sights in Antigua, Cathedral, Merced church, Central Square and even the bus station. We found a nice local restaurant just across the road ( Fogon de la Abuela) which served lovely evening meals, large portions and excellent prices, well worth a visit.
We would recommend this to anyone needing a nice , friendly, comfortable hotel near the centre of Antigua at the right sort of price

Room Tip: Ground floor double in the courtyard was good especially as it had an en suite and was quiet
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 April 2014

Los Encuentros is centrally located in Antigua. Irma makes delicious breakfasts and was very helpful in answering all our touristy questions and inquiries. The hotel is very clean, beautifully decorated, and homey. It was a wonderful experience. Highly recommended!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 April 2014

We happened upon this hotel, and are very happy we did! The hotel is in a GREAT location and Irma is just fantastic. So nice, helpful and willing to serve you how ever she can. Her and her husband also make a great breakfast! The facilities are good, especially for the price you pay! I would definitely recommend and stay at Hotel Los Encuentros again.

Room Tip: Bathrooms are shared by 6-10 people which was PERFECT for our group of 8. We felt like we had the en...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 April 2014

I really enjoyed my 8-day stay at Hotel Los Encuentros. Irma is just lovely. She made all the arrangements for me to and from the airport, served a delicious breakfast every morning, and did everything she could to make us feel welcome and comfortable. I had a private single room with a shared bath in the back. It was very quiet, simple furnished and comfortable. Given its location away from the open roof part of the hotel, it was a little warm at night, but not at all uncomfortable.

Hotel Los Encurentros is right in the center of Antigua, 5 minutes from the central park and easy to walk to everything. It perfect for my stay and at a very reasonable price.

I come to Antigua twice a year and plan to stay here every time in the future. For the price, I don;t think I could possible find a better value

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo