“Serene boutique hotel”

Camino Real Antigua
Ranked #5 of 75 Hotels in Antigua
Reviewed 27 May 2013

We arrived at night at the Camino Real and found ourselves in another world - a peaceful, unique atmosphere that I have to say is different from any hotel I've stayed at. The lobby was open-air and cozy at the same time and we were greeted with glasses of a refreshing green tea beverage when we arrived. The welcome drink is always a nice touch. There was a little snafu with our reservation (we'd booked via Expedia earlier that day), but we were able to resolve it by emailing the confirmation to the front desk. So, if you do book online, just be sure you have your confirmation with you in some form. Once that was taken care of, we were led to our room - it almost feels as if you're walking through a little town...all of the rooms are off of pleasant little courtyards. It was just very quiet and nice. It's rainy season now, so that may have been why it was so peaceful - we only saw a few other guests.

We'd arrived late and hungry and were happy to find that the bar was still open and serving food for a late dinner (open until 12am) - and the food (hamburger and nachos for us) was very good as well. In fact, everything we ate in Guatemala was quite good. Room service operates 24-hours as well, so there's always an option. We didn't eat in the main restaurant, but it looked nice as well.

The rooms are nice, too. Very modern (partly why I'd chosen this hotel over its competition in town). I believe the hotel is newly built. You wouldn't think so, because it has so much character - but the good thing is that everything is very well-appointed and comfortable. Hair-dryer, iron, toiletries, etc. in the room - everything you'd expect from a high caliber hotel. Coffeemaker, but coffee was charged at $2.50, so I didn't sample (this was one small thing...I think a hotel should provide coffee in the room for free, especially in a country like Guatemala which is know for it's coffee. Just would have been a nice touch). Very high ceilings, flatscreen TV, minibar, comfortable beds, huge thick comforters (almost too much, unless you keep the air conditioning cranked). It poured buckets the first night - so, it was a bit hard to sleep. Obviously no fault of the hotel, just something to be aware of if you're visiting during rainy season.

The hotel also has a large jacuzzi - billed as the largest in Central America. It was quite nice - and you can order drinks from the phone there. No pool - it was too chilly for us to use a pool anyway though, the jacuzzi was just what we needed. There's also spa services, though we didn't take advantage.

Antigua overall felt very safe. We didn't walk into town - though we did take a taxi on one night. I think it would've been a bit too long of a walk in the rain (and I walk everywhere), but it depends on the person.

Overall, really nice place, not to mention a really great value. I'd stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Ximena R, Manager at Camino Real Antigua, responded to this reviewResponded 22 June 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your time comment about our hotel, it is very important to receive such appreciation from our guests. It´s always motivating to receive guests feedback, this help us to improve every day.

Reviewed 23 May 2013

Was here with a group of co-workers. This hotel is more than amazing! The rooms are glorious..where can I get those comforters?! The food is good. The buffet is well stocked. The staff is more than gracious and helpful. The only problem is it can be a little noisy in the wee hours of the morning....heard some type of animal crying. Not a big deal but bugged me slightly. No real pool but a gigantic jacuzzi is the way I would describe it. The price was also reasonable but I was with a group so dont know the "regular" prices. Plan to return and stay here again for certain. The surrounding area requires some caution but just be wise when traveling anywhere. My room was uber large...floors are hardwood. Has jacuzzi tub too! P.S. dont drink the water if from the states, otherwise...a must visit!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business

Reviewed 16 May 2013

My wife and I stayed at this hotel as part of a Guatemala tour. Our view is that the Camino Real Antigua is the best hotel we have been in during this tour. The hotel looks very prestigious, rooms are very nice and staff is very helpful. It should be mentioned that the staff speaks English, which is not always the case in Guatemala.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 5 May 2013 via mobile

A friend recomended the hotel and stayed there for a weekend, and it was a very pleasant stay. Rooms were comfy the general impression was great! The restaurant very delicious too. In Antigua the best way to transport is walking, so distances were good like a 5min walk from Parque Central.
It has a big jacuzzi which was very relaxing specially at nights. when I have the oportunity I will stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2012
Ximena R, Manager at Camino Real Antigua, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time of writing this review from our hotel. It´s a pleasant received such amazing comments which help us to keep our high service standard. Your compliments are really a positive stroke and push us to keep a high standard personalized service toward our guests.

We hope to see you soon again in Camino Real Antigua.

Reviewed 30 April 2013

The hotel is a new 5 star in La Antigua. It is beautiful and inviting. We have visited the restaurant twice. Our friends go every7 Sunday. The food is top quality and presented as something special. It is not located in the center of town so is not highly visible. Word of mouth will definitely work. This would be a special place for birthday or anniversary celebration. Prices are very reasonable. We will be bacl soon

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear guest,

We are very glad to receive this kind of comments about our hotel; we really appreciate a positive stroke that pushes us to keep a high standard personalized service toward our guests. It is always motivating to receive such appreciation from our guests.

Reviewed 29 April 2013

As part of a Business trip I have just concluded my stay at this hotel.
Staff is very friendly and are always eager to listen to your questions and answer them!
The hotel from my understanding is pretty new (just like 3 or 4 years) but you wouldn't notice because all the decor is classic Spanish colonial style which matches perfectly the architectural design of the hotel.
Rooms are very clean and beds are quite comfortable.
Food is pretty good, but, why eat always at the hotel when you can walk your way through town and enjoy the great amount of restaurants it has to offer!
One of the few drawbacks that I encountered and the reason of losing a star on my review is internet. They limit you to just 1 (one) device!!
Imagine if you travel with your spouse or your whole family, how many devices do you carry typically? At least 1 per person. I had 2, my smartphone and my laptop, and was unable to connect my laptop.
The stupid answer I got when making the observation was "hotel policy".
Casa Santo Domingo (the best hotel in Antigua) doesn't limit you on devices....
So just keep in mind that you may end up paying extra $$$ for internet connection depending on the amount of devices you have.
Overall, a great stay.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business

Dear Guest!!

Thank you for a great comment it always motivating to receive such appreciation from our guests, this help us to keep our high service standard.

I will take the liberty to put your comment in our info staff board as it always motivating to receive such appreciation form our guests.

Reviewed 26 April 2013

As part of a Business trip I have just concluded my stay at this hotel.
Rooms are very clean and beds are quite comfortable.
The stupid answer I got when making the observation was "hotel policy".
Casa Santo Domingo (the best hotel in Antigua) doesn't limit you on devices....
Overall, a great stay.