“We Really Enjoyed This”

and up
Hands-on Cooking Class in Antigua
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Take home the rich culture of Guatemala by learning how to prepare the local cuisine at Antigua's premier cooking school! Begin with a personalized, hands-on class with local chefs and then enjoy your meal in our beautiful dining room or patio. Spanish to English translators are provided, and complimentary wine, beer, or soda are served during the class.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities
Reviewed 5 April 2014

First of all, take the market tour with Luis and go through the Antigua marketplace if you decide to do this class, there is so much to see and take in. This is worth the extra time. Luis let us decide what we wanted to cook, so that determined what we needed to buy and off we went. It was just my wife and I, and so we got a lot of hands on time with Felicia in the kitchen, chopping and preparing, with lots going on at once. We made chili rellenos with tomato sauce, guatemalan rice, black beans, beet salad, an assortment of local fruits, and mole with fried plantains for dessert. It all came off wonderfully and we had enough food for 2 dinners, one of which we took home with us! The staff was pleasant and we feel like we got to know them. We'll be trying these recipes when we get home!

Reviewed 3 April 2014

My husband and I began with taking the market tour with Luis. He's a delightful host that speaks perfect English. We bought some ingredients for class, and explored the inner workings of the incredibly large and interesting market. You would almost never know it is there, off the main street, in fact we walked by it the day before. It is a place to be explored. We'd probably still be lost in there if we did not have our guide! Such a wonderful array of produce, flowers and goods. The meats were a little scary, they had been out all day... Then back to the school, which is so conveniently located just off the main plaza. Two women from Australia joined us and we began our hands on class, working non stop, drinking wine, and having a great time. Guacamole, Pepian, Rice, Beans, and Chocolate stuffed plantains. When completed, we sat to eat, but it was early and we weren't really hungry, so we all tasted. Then we took home doggie bags for dinner a few hours later. What a delight. So good, that tonight I have made Pepian for a group of 6 friends here in Illinois! It took a lot longer doing all the steps by myself, but I have prepared a whole amazing dinner with the recipes from the website.... Que Rico!!!!

Reviewed 30 March 2014

You have to take this class. I didn't know what to expect, and had a great time. Our class was small - 3 people, which made it very informal. We started by heading out the market with Luis, sampling coconut milk from a coconut, and learning about different ingredients, as we purchased some items for our menu. Back in the kitchen, our teacher was a wonderful lady, who didn't speak english but didn't have to. Her patience and sense of humour were outstanding as she showed us what to do. The food was the best, and we all sat down to eat the meal together - family style. We were encouraged to sit, visit and enjoy the company and conversation. It was too bad our teacher couldn't have joined us to eat.

Reviewed 29 March 2014

I love to eat. I enjoy cooking for this reason. My cooking class with Frijol Feliz was so much fun! In my class there were three people participating. We prepared guacamole, tortillas, potato tamales called paches, chilaquilas made from güisquil (squash) and cheese, and mole with plantains. The class went by really fast. It was only when I paused long enough to untie my apron strings, did I realize how hungry I had gotten! We sat down to our feast and the flavors were outstanding! The school has a website with a list of all the foods they make with he recipes in English. I have since made two of the three dishes for my friends and it was just as easy to do in my own kitchen. I highly recommend this to anyone that appreciates the flavors of Guatemala!

Reviewed 22 March 2014 via mobile

This cooking school is phenomenal!! We had a free evening before a wedding here and decided to take this class based on tripadvisor recs. It was so wonderful! We made the chiles relinos and many other accompaniments -- so good and so much more satisfying that we made them ourselves vs a restaurant! Also Luis the owner was a pleasure to hang out w during the class. And there was unlimited wine during the 3 hr class, which made it additionally fun! Awesome evening. Totally recommend it.