“Home away from home.”

and 1 more site!
All Suite El Marques de Antigua
Ranked #36 of 135 Antigua B&B and Inns
Reviewed 6 January 2014

I'll be honest, I like this place. I stayed there first a couple of years ago and stayed there again last month for 3 nights. I like for so many reasons. It's not hard to find, just a few blocks away from the main area. It's safe, security lets you in and lets you out again. You have all of the comforts of home right there. If you are staying for a longer period of time and want to cook, or even if you don't feel like going out there is the well equipped kitchen. If you do want to go out there are dozens of places to eat in Antigua and if you can walk to most of them. There is a fireplace, I took my own wood and bought kindling in the local market/bodega. This past time since it was so close to the Christmas holiday I took my own decorations lights and all and the mantel was perfect to hand a stocking. While you have the conveniences of home you also have the nicest parts of a hotel stay - when you come back to your room everything is clean again, the bed made, the fireplace swept out, fresh towels await. On this last visit the woman came to clean and we had gotten a slow start that day and she actually asked what time would be good for her to return! I find the service very personalized and friendly here. When I next stay in Antigua, this is where I'll be!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 6 January 2014

I went to Guatemala last week and stayed two days at El Marques with my family. This hotel was fantastic. It was clean, beautifully decorated, and spacious. The guard was incredibly friendly and diligent. The woman who ran the hotel was very helpful and gave us tips on places for 9 to eat, and connected us with a tour of the volcano Pacaya. Since I only stayed two days, I did not make use of the washer and drier. I only used the kitchen to boil water (before realizing the treated water was available). The bathroom was very clean.
The only problems with my room was that the code for the safe did not work, so I had to borrow the hotel's master key. There was an echo from our neighbors, but it wasn't terrible or unusually loud. My parents stayed in the room next to the street and had no issue with noise. The hotel is set a few blocks away from the city center in a quiet area. I felt safe walking around.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 December 2013

My wife and I spent 3 weeks at this apartment hotel and were totally satisfied with our accommodation.. It was very clean and bright and one of the best equipped places we have ever stayed at. This was a very important feature for us because my wife likes to cook a lot when we are away and normally the lack of good kitchen utensils limits what she can do but this was not the case here.

The location is great being within easy walking distance of the Parque Cenral and the great restaurants in the centre of Antigua. Lesley and her staff were superb and responded very graciously to every request we made.

We will certainly stay here again on our next trip to beautiful Antigua

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 September 2013

Once we arrived we were greeted at the closed gate by the 24 hour security guard. We were pleasingly surprised when we walked into the condo. We had a small living room, dining room, full kitchen with cooking utensils, washer & dryer and private open air outside sitting area downstairs. Upstairs was the bathroom and bedroom with ample room. Our walk into town discovered a very small grocery store 1 block away for basic needs but a larger grocery store on the other side of the main town courtyard about 6 blocks away. Everything you need to do such as shopping and restaurants is within walking distance and a car is not needed while at this location. We did use the car to go sight seeing, off the complex, to the Filadelfia Coffee Plantation.

The only negative feature was the television as it is upstairs in the bedroom, We were there with our daughter and her friend (they had their own condo) but when we visited each other it would have been nice to have a television downstairs.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 July 2013

This rental place was just perfect for our needs. A very comfortable apartment with a very basic kitchen was our home in between our trips to lake atitlan and Tikal. The hotel accomodated our wish to leave some luggage there even though we didn't pay for the room the nights that we were gone. The doorman greeted is cheerfully at 4 am when we had to catch our bus to the Capitol on each occasion. Our two boys loved the loft and being able to toss things to each other.. They asked a couple of times after we left that hotel, "will the next hotel was nice as the one in Antigua?" The hotel is located in a residential part of town, so the only noises we dealt with were the fire cracker on July 4.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 May 2013

Quite wonderful modern condo, with all the modern amenities: full kitchen with microwave, washer and dryer, dining table, ceiling fan, fan unit and cable TV. I had #9 which is next to office and a single unit, meaning no other condo in front/behind, so my stay was perfectly quiet.

Nice have the gated 24 hour security: Andres and Fernando are kind and helpful. Right next to the guard station is a filtered water unit, so you can fill up with water regularly (they provide a good size pitcher for this). Loved having this as it saved the effort of bringing in from the market. The wifi is quite (very) weak, though the norm for all of Antigua: appear to have all bars of reception but just can't get to Internet pages, very sketchy at best, but again issue not specific to the condo.

Wish the TV was downstairs so can enjoy in the living room, instead of the bedroom, which is not a private room, overhangs looking down to the living room...just know if in case you are having guests or for the echo. Also wish they had stronger lighting or screens on windows, as it means being completely open and lots of Mosquitos in. Have comfortable dining table and sofa with coffee table. There is not AC, but a ceiling fan in

Had a fireplace but no wood, so on your own to provide. Patio is in a small claustrophobic 4 high wall square. Not very comfy to feel that you are enjoying enjoying being outside. The weekly cleaning woman, sometimes would be able to lock the door....which I just couldn't ever figure out, it is safe but just a bummer so claustrophobic, wish there was a common outdoor area to relax, enjoy being outside. For this, you will have to go around the corner to Panza Verde for their rooptop terrace. Hotel Antigua about a 1 1/2 long blocks away, you will find an ATM machine right inside their doors better to use than those in then in Central Parque area.

Speaking of area: to me the downside of the condo. Yes in a quite, tranquil, nicer area...but too quiet and at a distance from the center of town. The avenues are quite long, and without many stores; so at night, feel too quiet and remote. Also means finding a tuk tuk (local simple taxi/moped) is not so easy to obtain., even in the day. The Mercado and Supermarket (La Bodegona) are a good 15-20 minutes walk away, so with lots of groceries, you will need a tuk tuk.

No tuk tuks operate after 10pm, so streets are really very very quiet and empty if trying to walk home,

Overall very much enjoyed my stay. Really well appointed condo and staff (the guards and of course David and Lesly). Very reasonable price (though it was interesting, always had to remind them of their original price they quoted me - I extended my stay - , as when I waited to confirm, somehow the price would increase exorbitantly, but they always then honored the first and lower price)

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 5 January 2013

Well it's been about a year since my fiance (who's indigenous to Guate) and I stayed at El Marques for 5 days.... overall we found the suite charming and livable. The staff was very accommodating, polite; We found the weekly rate very low given the amenities and size of the split level loft style units. There's a patio off the living room w/a little sittee we enjoyed having fresh brewed coffee and breakfast we whipped up before a day of site seeing..... the kitchen and rooms were always made up upon our return!!
Yes we would recommend & consider returning to El Marques in our future travels to Antigua.

Room Tip: If you're considering extended stay the kitchen is stocked w/dishes, flatware, pots & pans...