“Excellent Service, Big, clean and well decorated rooms.”
Review of Chez Daniel

and 1 more site!
Chez Daniel
Ranked #1 of 130 Antigua B&B and Inns
Puebla, Mexico
“Excellent Service, Big, clean and well decorated rooms.”
Reviewed 8 August 2011

My family and I stayed in Antigua for three nights in this hostel and found with a very nice place. We felt like home, the breakfast is great, with good coffee, organge juice, croissants and marmalade. The staff is very friendly, and you might have the chance to cook in the kitchen 'cause the owners are flexible.
Rooms are so big, so clean, so well decorated that you feel it was a good choice.
It's not so close to the main sqauare, but i mean like 4 or 5 streets, not that much. And its really close to the market of artcfrafts, cheap and you might find anytthing you want for souvenirs. It's cheaper than Chichicastengo, the market.
ANd i you go to antigua, you cannot miss Atitlan Lake! ITS A MUST! you wont regret, tbe most beatiuful lake ever.
And if you like culture... you must go to Chichicastengo, the market... you might find it so interesting and sooo colorful.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Atlantic Highlands, New Jersey
Reviewed 27 July 2011

We (my wife, a friend and I) came to Antigua to go to language school. We were expecting basic accommodations but were most pleased to find Chez Daniel: A veritable oasis for the sophisticated traveler. Chez Daniel has lovely large rooms and bathrooms, is exceptionally clean, has a pleasant, knowledgeable staff and good food in the mornings (thanks for the cappuccinos, Roberto). Although the B&B is a bit out of the center of town, it was only 15-20 min. walking to school. I will definitely return to Chez Daniel's.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
Bloomsburg, PA
Reviewed 23 July 2011

I stayed at Chez Daniel for almost three weeks while I volunteered in San Felipe, just outside of Antigua. As a married woman, traveling alone in a foreign country, Chez Daniel was the perfect place for me and became my home away from home.
During my time in Antigua, I had the pleasure of staying in two different rooms at Chez Daniel (because I left for a weekend to go to Lake Atitlan). Both rooms were very large and had large bathrooms with bathtubs. The rooms were spotless and the beds were comfortable. My favorite part of both rooms were the windows that were located just above the desk/chair in each room and opened up to a beautiful view of the the volcano. Since Chez Daniel has wifi, this was the perfect place to update my blog, skype with loved ones or just enjoy the view! The rooftop terrace was also a nice place to relax and enjoy the view.
Other reviewers have already described the breakfast but I would like to add that they also offer hot chocolate and it is very good! Although I did not use the kitchen to make any meals, I kept snacks and drinks in the refrigerator and that was very handy.
Although Chez Daniel is located on the outskirts of Antigua, it was not inconvenient. I was able to walk anywhere that I wanted to go and could get to the Parque Central within 10 minutes. Being on the outskirts was actually nice and probably more peaceful.
Daniel, Maria Elena, Marleni and Roberto were very helpful and accomodating. They provided tips for sightseeing, getting around the city, negotiating with tuk tuk drivers, etc. They also told me about special events that were taking place in Antigua. They also provided honest feedback about what tourist sites might not be that spectacular to visit during the rainy season which was very helpful. They arranged my private transfer to and from the airport and made arrangements for the driver to make a quick stop so I could pick up some fine chocolates on my way back to the airport...like I said, very accomodating.
I think Chez Daniel is an excellent choice for anyone traveling to Antigua! I hope to someday return to my "home away from home" and visit my new friends again!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
New Bern, North Carolina
Reviewed 22 July 2011

Chez Daniel is a modern, clean, handsome, intimate little place with great owners and staff and fantastic views. Breakfast was comprised of nice French breads with rich butter and jams, great coffee and hot chocolate. Daniel was full of helpful tips.

Be sure to have the address handy when you arrive in Antigua. There's no signage outside, and not all drivers are familiar with Chez Daniel.

If we return to Antigua, we will definitely stay at Chez Daniel.

1 Thank MACventurous
Stellenbosch, South Africa
Reviewed 2 July 2011

We have just left after staying with Daniel for 8 nights. I say 'staying with Daniel' because that's exactly what it's like. He, his lovely wife and pocket sized manager are always around to make sure that you have everything you need. And we always did.

The rooms are extremely spacious and have high ceilings, huge bathrooms (with baths) and a desk and chair, as well as table and chairs outside your huge windows. The lawn is large and the view of the volcano is awesome. There is a fully equipped kitchen with gas hobs and oven where we spent almost every night cooking up a storm - what a pleasure to have a big working kitchen to make you feel that much more at home.

The breakfasts are croissants, cuppachinos and freshly squeezed orange juice. From your breakfast to your dinner - this place is perfect. We were very sad to leave not only the fantastic place but all the fantastic people that work and live there.

It's a little out of town that requires a 10 or so minute walk which, in rainy season, is the only apparent downside to the otherwise outstanding hospitality of Chez Daniel.

Room Tip: All the rooms are great
Carthage, North Carolina
Reviewed 30 June 2011

This place was super clean and some of the nicest people you will ever meet. It is within walking distance to everything and yet very quiet.
The Continental Breakfast was just perfect.
Cannot say enough about the great experience we had here..

Room Tip: All rooms were quiet
1 Thank banjeroos
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 30 June 2011

Loaded with character, Chez Daniel is a superb choice for your visit to Antigua. The small staff is eager to please, and you will enjoy the ambience of the elegant architecture and otherworldly views of the volcano (Vulcan de Agua) each time you step out of your room during your days in this tranquil city. Daniel is your gateway to Antigua – he’s a longtime resident and noted photographer who has traveled far and wide in Guatemala. So whether you only want see the primary tourist spots, or would like to get closer to the local culture, Daniel and Maria Elena will give you advice and insight you won’t find in your travel guide. I suggest hitting them up for suggestions at breakfast -- itself one of the highlights of your day. Daniel is part French and serves up authentic and delicious French continental fare. Strong, fortifying cappuccino and fresh squeezed orange juice complement the croissants and baguettes from a local baker. We stayed for a week, and one morning Daniel wasn’t satisfied with the quality of the local oranges (although on a bad day the fruit in Guatemala is superior to what we get in the States), so he plucked a few oranges from his own trees to ensure that that the resulting blend was up to his standard. Quelle obsession! Chez Daniel is also wonderful for families. We have three young energetic boys, and they were able to decompress each evening by playing in the lovely courtyard downstairs. Others have noted the large rooms and spacious bathrooms. You won’t get as good a value anywhere in the city. For traveling families, this is probably the nicest feature. After walking with kids for hours over ancient cobblestone, you’ll appreciate the opportunity for everyone to spread out a bit in the evenings. Parents, take note of the full kitchen and tasteful dining area for firing up some pasta or throwing together peanut butter sandwiches when the kids start feeling homesick. Grocery stores and family-friendly cafes like the Rainbow are only a short walk away.

Chez Daniel has only been open a short time, and it is inevitable that this gem will end up in Lonely Planet, Rough Guide, etc, so my advice is to come stay while it is still relatively easy to book a room. One last note about the staff. We circled back to Antigua today after a week and a half in Lake Atitlan and Xela, and in the chaos of trying to get our family of five off a Pullman bus that did not want to linger more than eleven seconds in Chimaltenango (literally), we found we had left one of our bags on the bus. We checked back into Chez Daniel this afternoon and told the staff our story. Within an hour they located the office of the bus company in Guatemala City, called and confirmed that the driver had found our bag, and made arrangements with our shuttle driver to swing by on our way to the airport tomorrow morning in Guatemala City to retrieve it. Wow. Why would we stay anywhere else?

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family