“Quaint hotel away from the hustle and bustle”
Review of Chez Daniel

and 1 more site!
Chez Daniel
Ranked #1 of 135 Antigua B&B and Inns
Reviewed 6 May 2013

This hotel is a bit out of the way from the main attractions of Antigua, but given that the town is quite small, that wasn't too big a of a problem. In fact, I think it was a bit quieter because of it. I only wished we were closer when walking back at night. Our room and bathroom were gigantic, very clean, and tastefully decorated with photos the owner had taken. Breakfast was croisants and bread with yummy cappuccinos. Daniel and Marleni were both very helpful and kind, and always greeted us in the mornings with helpful tips and suggestions.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 8 April 2013

The rooms and bathrooms are large and spacious. We spent 10 days in Guatemala, 4 cities, and this was by far the best shower we had. Breakfast is bread with jam, but the cappuccino is what made it memorable. The hotel is located a few blocks off the main street, and although I was assured the area was safe, it was a little disconcerting walking back late at night. The staff is friendly, and has lots of advice, but not always the most accurate. We were told there would be an airport departure tax, payable in Quetzales, but there was not. Also he mismarked my map when recommending a few attractions.

I had originally planned to stay 3 nights. My first night and then the last two. We even arranged for pick up at the airport -which i recommend you take advantage of. We were taken to Chez Daniel, then told we'd actually be staying somewhere else because they were full. The 2nd B&B was nice, very different from Chez Daniel, but I enjoyed our night there. I didn't appreciate the switch. I wasn't told a lot of information and felt like I had no control over the situation. I guess this is something that happens in Antigua.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jjroehrich
Reviewed 1 April 2013

I loved this place and stayed for 5 days. The room price was discounted, which is why I was there as a solo traveller. Otherwise it would have been out of my budget. If there are 2 of you sharing the room I'm sure that's not an issue. Otherwise I'd have stayed for a month!

The rooms are HUGE....and the bathroom is HUGE too. LOTS of space. Lots of storage space - drawers and wardrobes.

Marleni was very friendly and very helpful with my volcano walk and transportation bookings.

STUNNING kitchen with all modern equipment and a very large fridge - plenty of space if all 4 rooms are storing food.

Breakfast is included in the price - delicious croissants!

VERY comfortable bed. I slept like a log. The best sleep I'd had during 3 months of travel.

A little out of the city, but a nice walk in, allowing you to explore different streets. I felt safe walking to and from this guesthouse during the day but I would get a tuk-tuk or a taxi back at night.

Lovely lounger chairs in the quiet garden made for a very nice relaxation area. I think the only enhancement would be to add hammocks!

All-in-all I would HIGHLY recommend this as a place to stay if you are looking for a SPOTLESSLY CLEAN, luxurious, comfortable, quiet, friendly home while in Antigua.

Room Tip: The upstairs rooms have the view of the volcano.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 15 March 2013

We stayed at Chez Daniel for two weeks while we studied spanish. Our room was spotless and enormous. We were extremely happy!

We had access to the sunny upstairs terrace which has a spectacular view of the volcano.

Housecleaning service was great and our room was immaculately cleaned daily, with bathroom amenities replenished.

Kitchen was always clean, spacious and very user friendly. we cooked lunch and dinner most days/nights.

Daniel & staff was always willing to assist us with information/whatever we needed.

B&B has a relaxed and peaceful feeling and is very quiet, there was some slight noise at night over the weekends, however this is evident across Antigua and not an issue for us.

Very comfortable bed and always hot water.

Extremely happy and would without doubt recommend this B&B. It is excellent value.

Reviewed 8 March 2013

This establishment is excellent for long term, as well as short term, stays--we stayed six weeks!
The staff is extremely helpful, considerate and friendly, accessible and approachable, with multi-language fluency (Spanish, English, French). Individual rooms are secure and spacious, thoughtfully designed, tastefully furnished and impeccably clean with abundant closet/storage space and a huge bathroom. The setting includes a lovely courtyard and garden at ground level and a very pleasant, large roof terrace with fantastic views of all three volcanoes surrounding Antigua. The kitchen and dining area are immaculate, comfortable, and well-equipped with 24- hour personal kitchen privileges. In the communal sitting area there is a well-stocked "library" of books to peruse or read, providing background about Guatemalan and Mayan culture as well as information regarding travel within the country. The staff and management are very knowledgeable and courteous, happy to suggest and/or arrange travel itineraries and transportation within Guatemala.
The location of Chez Daniel is extremely convenient to the large open-air market and tourist markets of Antigua. There is a well-stocked and friendly supermarket, along with several excellent--and reasonable--restaurants nearby, and there are three smaller, convenience-type stores directly across the street.
The owner of Chez Daniel is an accomplished and respected photographer who has a tremendous understanding of the Mayan culture and contemporary history of Guatemala, as evidenced by the insightful, museum-quality photographs displayed in the hotel.
In summary, my husband and I have had ample travel experience over many years, both within Guatemala (this was our third visit to the country) and worldwide. We can safely say that Chez Daniel, without a doubt, is the most accommodating and pleasant lodging we have ever known!

Room Tip: Each room's location has its own unique advantages. Otherwise, they are identical--all spacious...
1  Thank susan f
Reviewed 24 February 2013

We arrived from Guatemala City airport to Antigua via a shuttle and was pretty tired from our trip. Luckily, we were able to immediately go to our room and the process of checking in was quick and painless. The hotel grounds are beautiful, with a spiral staircase that takes you to a balcony with additional rooms and a spectacular view of the looming volcano Agua. Marleni was very helpful and pointed us in the direction of good places to eat and where to plan our transportation around the country. The rooms are beautiful and spacious (tall ceilings!), which is especially comforting upon arriving to a foreign country. The hotel is located in a quiet part of the city though still is only a ten minute walk from the center park, where much of the activity lies. The owners were extremely friendly and the hotel seemed to exude the essence of the "good life."

2  Thank JordPo
Reviewed 4 February 2013

We had a lovely stay at Chez Daniel - the entire place is so comfortable, clean, and beautiful. The staff is so kind, attentive, and helpful, and the location is perfect - far enough from the busy town center and markets to be quiet, yet close enough to walk there comfortably. We can't wait to return!

Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple