“A great no fuss hostel in Antigua” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Mananas Hotel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Antigua
Mananas Hotel
Ranked #23 of 100 Speciality Lodging in Antigua
Singapore, Singapore
“A great no fuss hostel in Antigua”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2013

I stayed in Holistico Hostel for 4 nights from 24 Nov. I had initially wanted to stay in Yellow House recommended by Lonely Planet but decided to choose Holistico Hostel as the booking process was rather straightforward via hostelworld.com.
Holistico hostel is within walking distance to the Central Park and other places in Antigua. First glance of the hostel was inviting and upon entering, the common area by the reception came with many tables and chairs and was a great place to interact with other guests. Up on the roof, the terrace was also a nice place to hang out. The view from the terrace was great and at any one time it was not very crowded. The wifi was fast and accessible in the common area as well as the terrace of the hostel.
The bunk beds in the dorms were comfortable. I was staying in 4 bed dorm room and although it was small but quiet. There is a number of shared bathrooms and they are clean with hot showers.
The owner was friendly and went around making friends with the guests. The staff were equally friendly. During my stay, one of the guests was volunteering at the hostel. The guests were a good mix of different nationalities and mingled frequently with one another. I had a late night out with some of my hostel mates playing pool and drinking at a nearby pub.
Shuttles to other parts of Guatemala can be booked via the hostel and will stop by the front every morning or afternoon. I booked a shuttle from the hostel to Panajachel.
I am really glad to have made the right choice in choosing Holistico Hostel given that there are many other great accommodations in Antigua. The hostel is popular but during my stay was not very packed as it may be the low season. I highly recommend Holistico Hostel as "The Place" to stay in Antigua which is reasonably priced, convenient and has great facilities.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2013

I got a quick respons to my email. Wanted to make a reservation and couldn't pay on the internet. They were flexible and found a solution.

Had a friendly welcome. They showed me the dorm, which is standard, but good. It was no problem giving me an extra blanket because I was cold. Same for a pillow, got an extra one.

The real deal here is the atmosphere. Staff knows your name, are friendly and helpful and are interested in what you did that day. A very social character and really easy to meet people because of the set up off the place and the fact that the owner invites you for a drink and all gather up at the big picknicktables.
A lot of places to sit and a great lounge couch on the roof terrace.

Free coffee, tea, water, juice and drinks in the evening (beer, wine, mix drinks). There're snacks (bananas, cookies, lollypops and nacho's) for free too. There's an a la carte breakfast which is really tastfull! (Take #3)
Music all day and the place is well decorated (for the seasons/holidays)
Shower is clean and warm (some are hot) water. There's a kitchen and fridge to use. Also lockers and ofcourse wifi.
Staff is exceptional friendly and make you feel absolute welcome. They can call your next hostel and book you tours or a bus.

Perfect location to explore the city, supermarket is 2 blocks away, lots of restaurants are near and the main market is 3 blocks. Watch your stuff/bag here. My wallet was stolen and I am extremely carefull. They staff helped me out with the police and all other formalities. Sergio offered me money to help me out and he lent me his bag (because mine was cut open)

Antigua and Holistico are the perfect place to stay and come back as you travel through the country. I went here 3 times and loved it. Sergio & staff: thank you so much!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
Antwerp, Belgium
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 November 2013

During our stay in Antigua we found out about this hostel via people we met. Since it was a busy period, there was only one private room free for one night, so we decided to take this one anyway and would just look for another hostel the next day. After the first night, the owner (Sergio) moved heaven and earth so we could stay in a private room for our entire stay, which was really nice and friendly.

The hostel is a cute little place that is located close to pretty much everything (atm/supermarket/pubs&restaurants....) The owner is really nice and always up for a party and Andrea helped us with everything we needed during our stay. Quiet times (10pm to 7am) are respected, which is good because most rooms are located around the communal area. The breakfast is by far the best we had (try the egg pesto sandwich) and the complimentary foods and drinks throughout the day are an awesome plus!

We even got a chance to see the entire hostel decorated in Christmasstyle with a mexican touch, christmasstars made out of piñata's etc etc.

I loved staying at Holistico and would definitely recommend this place to everyone!

Room Tip: Try the egg pesto sandwich
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
San Diego, California, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2013 via mobile

Stay away from this hostel. The owner/manager will be clear he doesn't care about your business anyway. We had a reservation for Thursday night but tried to book for Wednesday as well. They tried to push us into a 10 person dorm under the guise of a 4 person. True, there was a partition between male and female but the sheet hanging between was hardly enough to constitute separate rooms. As this dorm wasn't our style, the owner snapped at us saying they couldn't guarantee our confirmed private reservation for Thursday if we wouldn't take the dorm Wednesday. His aggressive, rude and unprofessional behavior was unfounded and enough for us to happily walk to yellow house.

The women at the front desk, free refreshments throughout the day and rooftop terrace would have been the redemption. The jerk running the show outweighed all of these perks!

Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Trevor K
holistico, Owner at Mananas Hotel, responded to this review, 22 November 2013
Dear Guest

Thanks for your nice review but here there is people in waiting list for reservations and if you dont have, sorry for that. Normally we are fully book in private room, so if you changes yours plans, that is the problem. Also if you remember, we try ours best for ours guest but sometimes we can not give all that you ask. But thanks again and have a safe trip home.
Broome, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2013 via mobile

We didn't stay here because Sergio (the owner/manager) was ridiculously rude to us upon arrival! We had emailed to organise a private room for 3 of us (as it was our friends birthday). We arrived to have 2 beds in a '4 bed dorm', and another bed (for my girlfriend) in a joining 6 bed dorm. The 4 bed dorm was 2 rooms joined by a curtain. We understood that they were busy and had limited space so we said we wanted to look for another hotel for the night to enjoy our friends birthday, but would definitely stay the next night. Sergio was not impressed and in a very unfriendly voice told us "if you don't stay tonight then we cannot guarantee you a space tomorrow". So we left to find much better service and rooms at Casa Amarillo.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank JPescape
holistico, Owner at Mananas Hotel, responded to this review, 22 November 2013
Dear Guest

If you remember that you come and you dont want to chek.in, you want to put all yours backbak here and you say that you want to see others places around. So, we can keep the backpaks for people who is not even our guest, Even you never check-in with us, you Not comments. For me the importan is the guest stay with us are so happy with our services all the time. So, just to tell others travelers that these people never stay with us. Regards
Minneapolis, Minnesota
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2013

My friend and I arrived at 6:30pm from Leon, Nicaragua after a 16 hour shuttle ride. Exhausted and entirely numb, we were asked immediately for payment at the door, without even seeing our room. I explained that I had just arrived in Guatemala and had not had a chance to find an ATM. Thankfully, we were allowed to put our bags in our room and promptly head down the street to get cash and pay for the stay. The room was right off the courtyard, so loud noise until at least 11pm and starts again at 7am every morning. The music can also be very loud. Our room was basic, but the floors, including the bathroom, were filthy (black feet) and our garbage was not taken out the 4 days we stayed. Since in Central America, all toilet paper is discarded there, this was pretty unacceptable. The price was pretty expensive for a double room, $44 for Saturday night then $34 for the other 3. This is the most we paid for any hostel in Central America. Towels were not even provided. I can understand the charge for those in the dorm, but for people paying that much for a private, they should be provided. For such small bathroom, hooks in the bathroom would be very helpful. I can't say for the other rooms, so this review is just for our own.

Andreas was very helpful in finding us places to go and was very polite. Breakfast was hands down one of the best I've had on my trip, try the pesto sandwich. The terrace on top is nice with good views and the location of the hostel was very close to the central park. Free coffee, tea, suckers & cookies. All in all, not terrible, but not worth the price.

Room Tip: Rooms around the courtyard are very loud.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank luvablebug
holistico, Owner at Mananas Hotel, responded to this review, 20 November 2013
Dear Guest,

Thanks for your review and also I want to comment a few things for others travellers:

We are a hostal not a hostel boutique, also we are one of the best hostal in Antigua for our services and also as you know Antigua is a tourist city and in Antigua everything is expensive. Normally we dont give towels, everyone here traveling have one, if you have travel experience, I think that you have to know that you need one. For the noise, here at 10pm is everyone is out for a party or in bed, but never after 11pm. The clean in your room, we ask you a few times if you want that the lady clean your room but you say all the time not, so in that case we try to do the best for all our guest . The price is correct, if you feel like you pay a lot, contact to me by email and I give you back your money. But next time the best if you to the Hotel and not in the hostal. Regards, Sergio
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2013

Holistico is a nice place to arrive. As you step into the lush courtyard, you feel as if you are in a hotel not a hostel. The welcome is friendly and all of the staff really put themselves out to help. We arrived minus luggage and the team made sure that it was retrieved from Mexico.

The atmosphere is extremely friendly with welcome drinks. You can spend all night here just for the craic with Sergio and his team. That man is a legend and the evenings have a real spontaneity to them. In our short stay we enjoyed a BBQ and Salsa night.

The private room is comfortable, bathroom is basic but fine. The rooms surrounding the courtyard can be a little noisy since the place has a lively atmosphere in the evenings. If you are here to study or looking for silence, that would be the downside.

The breakfast is a winner too, something like five or six options and all good. Tea and coffee on tap all day for free and snacks available as well.

Wouldn't hesitate to stay here again, leaving after a week felt like leaving new friends.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
holistico, Owner at Mananas Hotel, responded to this review, 7 November 2013
Dear Guest,

Thanks for your amazing review and also I want to thaks for stay with us. Regarding the noise problem at the afternoon, as you know we are a hostal and for us is importan to have a social live with others guest. I do my best all the time for my guest as you know. But Thanks again and you are welcome any time @ Holistico Hostal where the people is so happy and enjoy every single moment like family. Regards. Sergio