“Nice place with a rooftop bar & great staff!”
Review of Villa Esthela

Villa Esthela
Ranked #26 of 118 Speciality Lodging in Antigua
Reviewed 25 February 2013

I was not able to stay in Antigua very long and next year when i come back to study, I will very likely stay here until I find a host family. Danielle the staff member that helped us out was full of great info, and she arranged a private taxi ride for my friend and I. Our room was a large private room, the beds were comfy, everything was clean, and we met good ppl there. Unfortunately the bar is not always open every night, but it looks like a cool place to hang out and the views are beautiful from the roof. Great Value -- I'll be back!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 1 February 2013

As budget accommodation goes, this place offers everything you need. I would highly recommend it to anyone looking for a cheap, safe, clean sleep in Antigua.

Danielle (the owner) is extremely kind, helpful, and knowledgeable. The rooms I stayed in (I was here for 4 nights, then later for 1 night) were spotless and quiet. Antigua isn't a big place, and the location here is close enough to the center to walk easily (about 10 minutes) but far enough to be relatively quiet. There are also shops nearby (I highly recommend the bakery) and a pharmacy across the street. The free drinking water (if you drink a glass, they ask you to pay for filling your bottle) is a particularly welcome touch, as is the nice little rooftop patio.

It's also worth noting that Danielle treats guests with more trust and respect than just about any other hostel owner I've met. On a couple of occasions she lent me stuff, no questions asked, knowing that I was leaving early in the morning and wouldn't see me again. This speaks very highly of her!

A further note, I recommend booking directly with Danielle to go to Volcan Pacaya or to take the airport shuttle as she charges less than travel agencies do. The driver she sent for airport pickup was also good although I should note the trip costs as much as several nights' stay (this is the going rate). He was a little late due to traffic, for which he apologized profusely, that's literally the only possible criticism I have of any service I received here.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank mreogh
Reviewed 29 January 2013

Good value, welcoming owners, sweet rooftop hangout, nice kitchen, tv room. Overall this was a very good, quiet hostel. We will stay here again. Danelle gave us lots of good directions and recommendations. We felt at home here.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 January 2013

Very good value of money! You can find everything you need: super clean room and washroom, wifi, English speaking stuff, good location... Tourists in this hostel are very nice too. There is a bar on roof top where u can have a drink at night and watch volcano at day time. Nothing I can complain given the money I paid. Definitely recommend to go if u need a cheap and clean place to stay in antigua.

Note: if u arrive antigua by bus and would like to try the interesting tuk tuk car to get to this hostel from bus terminal, don't over pay the driver. Local people would pay 10-15 quetzals and the driver asked me for 50 :) ( dec 2012). Or 20 minutes walk if u don't have heavy baggage.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 1 January 2013

Thank you Villa Esthela for our stay. We would highly recommend staying at both Villa Esthela and Casa Bellona, which are sister guesthouses. We really enjoyed the rooftop bar and hammocks and also the room was big and spacious. Danella and Juan were really helpful and booked our transport, shuttles etc to get to lake Atitilan and also to the airport. We stayed in both Esthela and Bellona and thought both were excellent. I thought the roof top was great at Esthela (Bellona only has a small courtyard garden) but also Bellona had hotter showers! Great since it can get very chilly in the evening in Antigua so a hot shower is a must. So it depends which you prefer personally.
Antigua is a wonderful city we spent 6 days there but if you're in a rush 4 would be fine. I would also recommend hiking up Pacaya volcano, it's certainly a great experience, remember to wear long trousers and take a jumper.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 December 2012

Nice, convenient location a few minutes away from the central plaza, excellent staff, at a super low nightly rate. There's a nice rooftop where you can chill and have a drink in the early evenings, which is a great place to take in the view of the volcanoes while meeting other travelers. I don't know if i just got lucky during my three night stay, but there was a real cool mix of folks from all over the world, and all walks of life.The rooms could use a bit of an update, and the bathrooms are shared, but at these prices, you just can't beat it. I'd definitely stay again.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 8 December 2012 via mobile

Nice, convenient location a few minutes away from the central plaza, excellent staff, at a super low nightly rate. There's a nice rooftop where you can chill and have a drink  in the early evenings, which is a great place to take in the view of the volcanoes while meeting other travelers. I don't know if i just got lucky during my three night stay, but there was a real cool mix of folks from all over the world, and all walks of life.The rooms could use a bit of an update, and the bathrooms are shared, but at these prices, you just can't beat it. I'd definitely stay again.

• Stayed: December 2012