“Clean, quiet and conveniently located” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Posada Don Rafael

Posada Don Rafael
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Antigua
Posada Don Rafael
Ranked #60 of 126 Antigua B&B and Inns
Berlin, Germany
“Clean, quiet and conveniently located”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2012

I stayed in Posada Don Rafael for 3 weeks and really loved the place. It a small family run hotel and these people really know how to take care about their guests.

The hotel is very conveniently located in the northern part of the town, just three blocks away from the famous La Merced church and four blocks from the Arch. Well, in fact, everything in Antigua will be close and in walking distance, so do not let yourselves be sold on hotels which advertise that they are in the center of Antigua and for which they charge a premium. I personally would not want to leave too close to the central park area just because it is a party zone and you will have noise there days and nights (well, maybe not on Monday night when there is not much happening in the town). I like partying but when I sleep I don’t want to hear music, people laughing on the streets and cars driving over old stone-paved streets of Antigua (and this is loud!). I have seen a comment here that Pasada Don Rafael was loud because of traffic – I really did not notice it.

The hotel has a beautiful courtyard in colonial style with an orange tree in middle and three turtles that live in the flowers around the courtyard and sometimes get out to “race” the place. I really liked sitting there in the evenings. There is WiFi in the hotel. It is works best in the courtyard and the rooms surrounding it. The rooms are clean are nicely decorated in traditional style. Each room has a bath with a shower and there is hitter on each shower so there is always warm water (some of my classmates stayed with families and complained every second day that they warm water was not always available, sometime no water at all). There is also a shared kitchen which can be used by everyone staying in the hotel. I have chosen to have meals with the family who run the hotel, so for me it was a perfect alternative to staying with a family as I was more independent but still did not miss a contact with local people which was really helpful for my Spanish.

The family who runs the hotel speaks some English, enough to get along with day to day matters (I did not speak a word of Spanish when I arrived). If there are complex things to deal with there is Max – a gentleman who permanently leaves in the hotel and who speaks perfect English. I was really glad to have Max around. He showed me some of Antigua and gave hints on where to eat, where a laundry is, and what are the good clubs to visit, etc. And Max has really good stories to tell about Guatemala history.

So, all in all, I liked the place a lot and will definitely stay there if I happen to come to Antigua Guatemala again.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
      Cleanliness

Families
Milaca, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2012

We recently stayed in Antigua for 3 weeks while we visited Máximo Nivel, a super-good Spanish school and volunteer / language center (I used to teach English for them in their Peruvian branch). They helped us find an apartment at the Posada don Rafael so we could be a little more independent than doing a family-stay. We really loved it!

Benicio and Edna run their beautiful old converted colonial mansion as a small hotel, along with their sons and assorted family members. It's on the north side of Antigua, about 8 blocks (a 10 to 15 minute walk) from the Plaza Mayor. Right outside the entry way, there is the little Parque San Sebastián, with lots of huge old trees and quiet places to sit and look at the ruins of the old baroque church. Even though there is a steady stream of "chicken buses" passing by on their way to Jocotenango and the northwest, it's surprisingly quiet (thanks to the law against sounding horns inside the city limits).

From the street, just like most of the Colonial places in Antigua, all you can see is a large grated gate. But inside, there is a courtyard, with rooms on two levels, trees, and flowerbeds around the concrete patio / parking area. There are lots of inviting couches and chairs to sit in the shade under the shelter of the second-story balcony and use the hotel's wi-fi. From time to time, you even get to see the ancient old tortoises that have been living there for over 50 years; they make their way around the gardens and ignore the guests, although they love if if you feed them banana!

There are maybe 12 or 14 private rooms, most with a bathroom; I think there is also a communal kitchen available for a little cooking. The family has a large central kitchen next to the "pila" (outdoor washing and cleaning area), and I think some guests eat meals with them, too. We were lucky enough to rent one of their two apartments; they're at the back of the courtyards, and are fully equipped for cooking and living. We stayed for three weeks, and were made very welcome by everyone there - by the time we left, I felt like part of the family!

The Posada don Rafael isn't the cheapest hotel in Antigua, but it is clean, friendly, and well-run. Benicio and Edna love helping guests practice Spanish, their sons are kind and attentive, and Max (a courtly retired gentleman who lives at the hotel) is glad to tell you anything you could want to know about Antigua and Guatemala (he likes to practice his English). All in all, a really nice stay.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business