“We love El Fotografo galeria!”
Review of El Fotografo

El Fotografo
Ranked #56 of 83 things to do in Antigua
More attraction details
Owner description: We are Antigua's and Guatemala's first and only gallery of photography. We are open every day. You can find us just in front of Cafe Condesa in front of the Park Central
Silver Spring
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“We love El Fotografo galeria!”
Reviewed 13 March 2012

This place is amazing, from photographs to the various staff members we've interacted with both times we visited Antigua. As photographers ourselves we were highly impressed with the composition and quality of the images and can really appreciate the fact that film was used. The staff is very friendly, knowledgeable and just a pleasure to converse with.

Fun fact: we got married last month in Antigua and part of our celebrations the days leading to the wedding was a local 'Amazing Race' and El Fotografo agreed to be part of one of the locations where our guests had to look for a clue. They were very willing and happy to be part of the celebration with us!

See you guys again in October!

Visited February 2012
2 Thank EyeWonder P

Atlanta, Georgia
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 50 helpful votes
“Vivid photos of young antiguan children and amazing! COLORFUL!!!!”
Reviewed 20 February 2012

A must see stop on your trip under the ARCH! These photos are a one of a kind! We stopped in the other day and there are photos of little children at ages 5 to 7 years old with the most amazing expressions and the colors are unbeleivable. While we were standing there there was a man hosting and we kept noticing his resemblence to the little boy in several of the photos...it was the boy in the photos some 20 plus years later! Also interesting is that his sister is also in some of these photos!

Visited February 2012
2 Thank GPSMike
Guatemala City, Guatemala
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Wonderful art.”
Reviewed 3 February 2012

It's a great shop with wonderful photographs. The fact that one of the children in the portraits, now a teenager, worked there, made it truly special.

2 Thank ChaconNoriega
Guatemala City, Guatemala, Guatemala
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Pictures that describe stories.”
Reviewed 31 January 2012

I live in Guatemala City and needed some good pictures of Guatemalan people for a project I was making. I had seen this gallery but never went in it, so this time I decided to go for it and search what I was looking for. I must say I was really glad to visit that place. The pictures were lovely and the best of it all is that the kid that was in one of the pictures I bought is now a grown up and the clerk of the gallery!! You may ask the people who work there about the story of every picture and how did Jon Kaplan got to know each and every one of them. That alone, makes the picture worth the while and the money. Great place!

2 Thank Javier A
Midland, Michigan
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Kaplan's photography captures the spirit of indigenous Guatemala”
Reviewed 28 January 2012

I work with Mayan descent teachers in the highlands of Guatemala and am in country
four times a year. My trips always end in Antigua and recently I have made a point to visit
the gallery before flying back to the States. Although my most recent purchase was of three mature women wearing the traje of Nebaj, I gravitate toward the photos of children. Adding to the significance is that the sales personnel have a link to the photographs. I loved having Gaspar sell me a photo of his younger self and having Ingrid explain that I was buying a photo that included her daughter, Monika. The backgrounds are intensely colorful ( Tigo blue !) and emphasize the Guatemalans' love of color.

2 Thank Cheryl W