“good food and life experience in Antigua Guatemala”
Review of El Peregrino

El Peregrino
Ranked #212 of 370 Restaurants in Antigua
Cuisines: Guatemalan
siem reap
“good food and life experience in Antigua Guatemala”
Reviewed 12 October 2013

I spent 10 days with my girlfriend as a guest of Violeta's at her family guesthouse in Antigua, and that was my best experience in Guatemala. We've been adopted as members of the family and shared interesting conversations, visits and good moments with the family and their guests (mainly young NGO volunteers from various countries but all Spanish speakers). Violeta and her son Fernando did their best to offer us each day differents dishes of Guatemalan food, so we had a comprehensive view of the local cuisine. The location of the guesthouse in front of San Francisco church is ideal, quiet (but with church bell chime in the morning!) and apart from the tourists busy area, but 5 mn. walking distance from the Parque Central. For those who are afraid of coming to Guatemala, or wish to have a life experience here, I will definetely recommand el Peregrino as a GQ to visit Guatemala and get a unique opportunity to know its wonderfull people and share their daily life and better understand the life conditions here.

• Visited August 2013
2 Thank Jean_PierreSiemReap

Hong Kong, China
“The lowest price but high quality food; the most friendly family and cheapest homestay”
Reviewed 27 May 2012

I lived home-stay with Violeta and her lovely, kind, happy and harmony family for 5 months! I had 3 meals daily 6 days a week in her little restaurant. The food was almost the lowest price but the highest quality and with variety i could find in Antigua Guatemala. My private was in good size and clean and the cheapest in town. Violeta and her family were very friendly and kind and tried to help me to learn Spanish as much as possible. One of my best experience in Antigua was Violeta's food and living with them. I highly recommend this place for home-stay and for local Guatemalan food and some other variety eg vegetarian, salad, pasta etc. Or feel free to let Violeta know if you have any special deit, she would try her best to accommodate!

• Visited November 2011
2 Thank cocoacacao
Munich, Germany
“best place to eat and live”
Reviewed 21 May 2012

Delicious fresh basic local food prepared with love by Violeta. This is the real guatemala experience! During my 6 weeks stay in Antigua in 2011, I lived with this super friendly and welcoming family and profited daily from the great cooking skills of Violeta. This place made my whole Antigua stay much more enjoyable. It's also perfect for language students as the family is used to students and talk Spanish with you, slowly and patient. During my time 5 other travelers lived here from all over the world and we all had a great time with the family. You can also connect your visit with some sightseeing, as the Iglesia San Francisco is just opposite.

• Visited December 2011