“Finally a Clean Kitchen”

A Place to Stay Hostel
Reviewed 16 June 2014

after visiting 50 or so hostels in Central America, I must admit that this is the cleanest kitchen of all....plenty of pots pans, dishes, blender...and the market to get all your food is right across the street.....lots of good times too...( I ended up spending several months there) great atmosphere and place to stay.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank SirFartswell

Reviewed 24 May 2014

I felt like home here. The location is very good, the price is not too high and breakfast is included.
The owner of the place is the most helpful host I have ever met on my journeys. He helped me to book all my shuttles, took me to Guatemala City to buy a bus ticket at Tica bus office and when I was in the hospital he came to see me there 3 times a day, helping with translation and all the other things. I am really thankful for everything and the days I spent here. When I go back to Guatemala, I will definately stay here again!!!

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Omayaha
Reviewed 12 April 2014

The plays is ran by 2 very nice brothers that are very helpful and speak good English, Raul (one of the brothers) also now the basic of other languages.
There is a good kitchen (for Guatemala) free drinking water and lot of friendly people, good atmosphere and the place make you fill at home.
They have good wi-fi and hot water 24h. The bed are not the best (bat relatively good for Guatemala) and there is no room with privet shower, bat the is chip for Antigua.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Eran F
Reviewed 23 March 2014

What to say?
Nice place, (nice city...), nice staff, helpfull owners, lovely pets (four cats, a rabbit and a turtle...), hot shower and free freakfast, international custumers (so nice talks), the place is regularly improved, and the prices are reasonable... maybe noisy sometimes but it would be so boring if perfect :-)

Room Tip: Upstairs room are more quiet
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 13 March 2014

My partner and I used Antigua as our base from which to explore Guatemala on various two to three week jaunts to different parts of the country. We stayed at Place to Stay each of the four times and I HIGHLY recommend this hostel as THE ´place to stay´ in Antigua. The owner Raul goes out of his way to help you organise whatever you need hassle free and answer your quuestions. We were able to store our luggage safely for free each time which was an absolute godsend for us. Raul and the whole crew always greeted us with a smile and warm friendly welcome, the room was always clean and available when we arrived and a hot cup of good coffee was always there for us. The hostel attracts a friendly, laidback group of travellers, there are good kitchen facilities available and free purified water and breakfasts included too. Wifi connection is great. It is not a loud party hostel, which we thoroughly appreciated. You will not be disappointed by this hostel and its friendly, family vibe. Our time at Place to Stay is up there on my list of Guatemala highlights! Thanks to Raul and the crew for your hospitality and help, we really appreciated it :)

Room Tip: Rooms up the top floor are lighter and more airy!
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 March 2014 via mobile

Amazing and beautiful hostel and amazing hospitality! The owner always managed to make us comfortable and help us with whatever we needed! There is also a beautiful garden, delicious breakfast and good wifi. Thank you!

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 February 2014

This place is everything that you will look for in a hostel : nice, helpful staff, nice guests, great location and amazing atmosphere!

I was tired from an overnight bus ride from Flores to Guatemala City then Antigua, after worrying about being sold a fake bus ticket and the bus stopping in the middle of nowhere (I was sure we would be robbed!), I showed up on the doorstep of A Place To Stay way before normal check-in time, around 7:30 am, as I had a reservation there for the next couple of nights.

I was greeted by Raul who got switched to English almost right away after hearing my poor Spanish and when I asked if I could leave my stuff there until later when my room would be available, he lend me a key to a free room saying that I could sleep there for a few hours until my room was ready... He could see how exhausted I was i guess!

When I woke up, he offered me breakfast and asked if I needed help with anything... and hiim and Antonia even took care of my laundry (for a real cheap price, considering I wouldn't have to handwash myself!).

Then I got to meet Fernando, Raul's brother, who's also always willing to help (he showed me around, took me to the supermarket and to the Tour Company I booked with so I could confirm my excursion the next day), with an everlasting smile, interesting comments about the city and a genuine interest. Every time I was there, when he woke up from his nap (3-5 pm is sacred nap time at Place to stay!), he always offered coffee to everyone who was there.

Overall, I enjoyed relaxing in the outdoor-covered area, with the cats and the live-in bunny. The shared kitchen and the big dining table along with the benches encourage travelers to meet and chat and Fernando and Raul both enjoy taking the time to talk to their guests and they really care about you feeling home during your stay. They will help you with everything, from finding a shuttle to changing money or any other help a traveler may need.

I left with teary eyes and it is absolutely certain that I will go back there if I ever go back to Guatemala. I recommend it to all the backpackers of the world as it is, definitely, A PLACE TO STAY.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo