“Best Place to stay in Antigua Guatemala, Guatemala”

Porta Hotel Antigua
Ranked #4 of 75 Hotels in Antigua
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 6 April 2012

I went to the same hotel 4 to 5 years ago, It was descent and I guess they were under a different administration. This week I went back with my family... and the place is crazy hot! Excelent athmosphere, amazing dishes, from a very good american style buffett to a more 'a la carte' local dishes.. If you are in the 'exotic' and not Anthony Burdain style, the "pache", the "chiles rellenos", "tostadas and Enchiladas" are a most!!!.

Holly Week at "La Antigua Guatemala in Guatemala" is something YOU should experience... if you do it at Porta Hotel Antigua... I am sure you won't be disappointed...

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank Guillermos99

Reviewed 4 April 2012

Although the hotel is not that old, it has quaint Colonial feel. Our courtyards with lap pool, many plants, sunny area with free wi-fi, etc. were beautiful. Room was excellent, bathroom was perfect. Excellent location walking distance to all the sights in Antigua. Food was good. Views of the volcanos lovely, especially in the mornings. Stayed here two nights with Caravan Tours and everything was spot on.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank LynnMarv
Reviewed 2 April 2012

I wish we had had more time at the hotel, as it is very nice. Our premium room was beautiful and very nicely appointed. We didn't have time to go to the spa or pool, but they looked beautiful. I hope to return. We were only there for the night and didn't even get to eat in the restaurant, although it looked good.

Room Tip: The premium room has a nice fireplace.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank ph0t0g
Reviewed 13 March 2012

The location of this hotel would make it worth it even if it wasn't 5-star, but it WAS. The rooms were wonderfully decorated with large beds, sitting area and even a working fireplace which the staff happily stocked with wood and even started the fire for us. The pools were both clean (if a bit cool at this time of year) and staff was attentive with towels, drinks etc.. We dined each meal at the lovely buffet which had everything imagined - even fresh, hot croissants in the morning. An easy walk to the shops and jade factories and fair-trade market completed the overall perfection.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank swimvicki
Reviewed 8 March 2012

Good service, good breakfast buffet, rooms in the annex across the street are GREAT,with a nice lap pool, kids club is excellent for your children. Overall a great value, will come back!

• Stayed: January 2012
4  Thank HCHs
Reviewed 4 March 2012

I stayed at Porta Hotel for 3 nights/4 days. My sister got married at the hotel and had the reception there as well. I enjoyed my stay very much there. The rooms were clean and spacious. I shared a double deluxe room. The beds were relatively comfortable. The room was near the end of the complex so in the mornings I could hear some traffic noise. It didn't keep me up but it was audible. The staff was accommodating. They were polite & courteous. I speak Spanish so it was easy to communicate although I think their English was just as strong. I felt safe while staying there. We walked around the complex after dark and did not feel unsafe. I used the gym everyday while there. It was a nice sizes gym. There were 2 treadmills, 1 elliptical and a stationary bike. They also had a great multi circuit weights set up. I also visited their spa while staying here. I got an 80 minute deep tissue massage from Gladys. It was amazing! Well worth the price. She worked just about every body part. Very professional. I also got a mani/pedi & hair done at the salon. I normally don't do any of this at hotels but I was there for my sister's wedding so we splurged! I will say that the mani/pedi was over priced. I could have gotten a less expensive & probably a better job at home. Lesson learned. As for the hair, I had them curl my hair and it was fine. It was reasonably priced. Regardless, the spa & salon were clean and comfortable. The service there was great. They were friendly & nice. The ladies locker room was nice too. It was small but nice. The sauna was great! The main area in the hotel opens to the pool. I didn't get to enjoy it because we were so busy. It is in the main area and really no privacy. We ate at the restaurant for lunch one day. The food was pretty good. Service was a little slow though. I think some of it just comes with the way of life there. Not a fast hustle & bustle like bigger cities here in the US. We did have breakfast there every morning since it was included. This was good. Delicious and authentic food. Wifi was available in the lobby. We did get the code for use in the room but it never worked there. I was fine with using it in the lobby but would have been nice to use in the room. Overall, I enjoyed my stay and would return. I think you could find places in Antigua for less but you'd be sacrificing some of the amenities & comfort that Porta provided.

• Stayed: February 2012
Reviewed 2 March 2012

I just got back from Antigua 4 days ago. I was with a group of teachers. The services in this hotel was the BEST. I had the opportunity to had deals with Patty and other lady in the front desk they did a great job in getting things for me and for the other members in my group.

Room Tip: do not take the rooms by the playground.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends