“Enchanting!”

Hotel Museo Spa Casa Santo Domingo
Ranked #5 of 75 Hotels in Antigua
Reviewed 23 March 2011

Casa Santo Domingo is the most exquisite hotel I have had the pleasure of staying it. From the moment you walk through the front door, down the long stone corridor filled with candles and flowers, you are treated as a valued guest. This hotel, originally a monastery, was once destroyed by earthquakes. It has since been excavated and restored to its original charm. Every last detail tended to and appreciated by the staff.

My husband, a native Antigueno, and I, from the States, were married in the Church towards the back of the grounds and celebrated with a reception in a quaint garden area. Every aspect of our wedding was gorgeous and the staff was integral in aiding us in the planning process, making it easy to arrive the week before relaxed and prepared to celebrate.

This year, we returned to celebrate our anniversary. Believe it or not, the staff remembered us and treated us like friends and personal guests of the hotel. I was spoiled with a pre-natal massage during our stay, as well. The entire experience was superb! They are expanding their spa services and building an incredible new facility. I completed a questionnaire regarding my health history and received a hand massage prior to being led back to a gorgeous hotel suite where the massage would take place. I was directed to a spacious, private restroom to change before relaxing on the warm massage table. From the robes and the slippers to the music and massage itself, I was in heaven! I have had a variety of massages throughout my life and this ranks up there with the best spas and resorts in the world (i.e. Kohler, The Ritz, etc.).

All in all, I had a five star experience at a five star hotel in charming Antigua, Guatemala! I am anxious to go back!

1  Thank StephanieJCM

Reviewed 23 March 2011

My wife and I had our wedding at Hotel Casa Santo Domingo in January 2009. It is an amazing place that brings you back in time to a different era. The museum, the gardens and the pool are something else. We had friends and family coming from Minneapolis, MN; Denver, CO; San Francisco, CA; among others including guatemalans. Every body was amazed by how beautifull the hotel is and how excelent the service and the food is also. The staff is incredibly friendly and welcoming all the time, looking to make your stay the best.
We go back to Guatemala once every year and always go to Hotel Casa Santo Domingo, and we find that the service is always exceptional, people are so pelite and going out of their way to make us feel at home. The amenities are splendid and is just a treat for us. Every time I have friends going to Guatemala, I recomend stay at Casa Santo Domingo, I am sure they will have an amazing time there as my family and I did. It is by far it is the best hotel I have been to, not only for the beautiful architecture but for the outstanding service.

1  Thank chinomonzon
Reviewed 11 March 2011

My husband and I really enjoyed this hotel during our honeymoon. It was beyond charming and so picturesque. During the day, we enjoyed the museum, it is an interesting place. At night my husband and I strolled through the grounds and enjoyed the candles everywhere, very romantic. I thought the service was great, we had a problem and they fixed it right away. The only thing I didn't like is that the concierge could be a little more helpful in calling places to find out details, we had to call ourselves and hotel cost for the phone wasn't exactly cheap. Also the taxi service that they recommended to the airport cost too much, there are many travel agencies near the park that offer private taxi for around $30 and much less for collectivo. We had breakfast at their other restaurant up on the hill "El Tenedor del Cerro" highly recommend going up there to eat at night or day, sit outside and enjoy the view of the city and volcanoes. There is a tram that takes you up there every 15 minutes from the hotel. The service was great and it was affordable, nice grounds to walk around and take photos after we ate. Also, I just want to say that even though the hotel is away from the center, its really not that far. We enjoyed walking back from eating dinner from the center of town and never felt unsafe in Antigua, if you feel like taking a taxi from the center of town, I think it was $2-$3 and bring a jacket, it can get chilly at night. Antigua is one of the most romantic cities my husband and I have ever been to outside Europe and Casa Santo Domingo made it even more special to be staying in a bit of Antigua history. Enjoy, we can't wait to return!!

Reviewed 10 February 2011

We spent new year there. I regret of hiring the brunch and dinner included package because was not worth it, but not of staying there.
There some things that are not asume, I said I was travelling with my partner and when we arrived we had two beds... I went to deskroom an answer was "is the only avaible we have" after insisting (that is something we realize it REALLY works in GUATEMALA in general) the manager came to us, and at the end we got the king bed.
That is only ONE and the first experience, if you ask for something not ordinary (like I wanted to eat a sandwich on the restaurant) first answer will be NO insisting you may get a yes, but you know sometimes that is not what you are looking for on holidays!
I insisit, the place is so nice that is worth it whatever it happens, no doubt, is the best in Antigua

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 February 2011

Spacious rooms,balcony, fireplace,food,service are wonderful! Especially, the hotel is worth every single penny to see! I just wished that I have more time to discover the hotel. The hotel is museum and lots of details that you can not imagine!The food quality is excellent. Spa is good,but would be better if they had English speaking team. Wonderful experience, I would definitly recommend everyone to stay there...

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 February 2011

I had the pleasure to spend some time in Antigua Guatemala in the spring of 2010. I had seen the many of the hotels and restaurants of the area. There is one that stands out a Jewel. That is the Casa Santo Domingo.

As with most locations in Antigua, the beauty of this hotel is hidden behind the privacy of its walls. The entrance to the hotel is deceiving to its real beauty. Upon entering the main hallway you are presented with a beautiful garden and waterway that immediately sets a tranquil scene.

The most amazing aspect is once inside, the entire establishment seems to open up and take over the entire city. This is the wonderful part of the setting. Once you make your way past the entry garden you come to a beautiful sitting area, cocktail lounge and restaurant. From this vantage point, the real beauty of this hotel still escapes the eye.

When you make your way past the restaurant you are taken back by what you are presented with. The entire place opens up into an amazing outdoor social area that can only be described as spectacular. Your first thought is how deceiving the hotel is from the street. You are surrounded with all the spectacular beauty that is Guatemala. The towering avocado trees that bear some amazing fruit to the colorful parrots and beautiful gardens.

Still hidden from view is the colonial museum. The museum is nestled within the walls of the original colonial missionary and has been preserved. The exhibits are wonderful representation of the Mayan culture.

The guest rooms are a setting of comfort and relaxation. They are set to a colonial flare with beautiful woodwork. The floor plans are leveled to provide a separation of the room and provide a sense of spaciousness.

Should you be traveling to Antigua for business, Casa Santo Domingo is the right choice. They have one of the most advanced seminar theaters around. Open and spacious and will impress any business gathering.

Once finished taking in the beauty of the hotel, the restaurant is a must stop. The culinary arts practiced here have not gone unnoticed. This group of professionals are highly respected and have won some very prestigious awards for their culinary arts. The setting of the restaurant matches the wonderful food.

Lastly, another stop is not within the Casa Santo Domingo itself. It is the Sto Domingo Del Cerro. This outdoor facility is set above the city of Antigua on the hill side with a wonderful view of the surrounding area and a spectacular view of the near by Volcán de Agua or "Volcano of Water". In line with the Casa Santo Domingo, it has a wonderful restaurant and art exhibit.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DHart1961
Reviewed 3 February 2011

The most amazing architecture, pricelss statues, paintings, an old world ambience, excellent service, beautiful rooms. I have travelled around the world and have seen many world class hotels and this is number 1 on my list. I had such an amazing time.
If you are looking for an incredible place to vacation or have a wedding - this is it. Antigua is a beautiful colonial town, friendly people and a shoppping paradise.I certainly will return

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with friends