“WOW, one of the most beautiful hotels in the world!”

Hotel Museo Spa Casa Santo Domingo
Ranked #4 of 75 Hotels in Antigua
Reviewed 18 May 2011

If you're in Antigua, simply put - stay here! Walking into the grounds of the old monastery and historic ruins is absolutely breathtaking. I have stayed at some of the worlds best hotels and Santo Domingo beat them in terms of beauty hands down!
From the moment we arrived at the hotel we were treated impeccably. As soon as we walked in, all I could say was 'wow!' The gardens surrounding the ruins are stunning and colourful parrots live there too (random but cool) We stayed in suite 223 and WOW it was split across 2 levels, with a large jacuzzi bath on the mezzanine floor. I've loved being able to relax in the jacuzzi and look down to the bedroom :) There was even an open fireplace with logs for us to light ourselves, very romantic. We didn't actually light the fire but it was a nice option to have.
Unfortunately men stand outside the hotel entrance permanently urging you to buy their jewellery, annoying but not the hotels fault I guess.
I'm a big spa fan and was looking forward to a massage in the hotel but actually it was really expensive (80+ USD, a price befitting of the hotel but over-priced by Central America standards) so we didn't bother. Instead we went to Prana Holistic Therapy Center (go there!!) on Calle Burrito for an amazing and reasonably priced massage.
We ate dinner in the restaurant one night and had Tilapia freshly caught from the hotels pond, which was lovely. Lunch by the pool was nice too, with some tasty local dishes.
During our stay there were 2 weddings and wow the ceremony and reception venues were stunning, the most beautiful wedding venue I've ever seen! I can understand why it's so popular. It was wonderful for me to watch a local wedding and festivities but the only downside is that the music plays well into the early morning (4.30am) This did not bother me so much (it's a wedding celebration after all, you can hardly complain!) and luckily our suite was far enough away from the music. But if your room is closer, then you might feel differently.
I would recommend not organising a tour through the tour company in the hotel. We enquired about climbing Pacaya Volcano and after skirting around the price for a while, we were quoted 350 USD for 2 people to have a private tour. Outrageous! Anyone accepting that price must be crazy because all you have to do is walk down the street to Old Town Outfitters for a private tour costing 200 USD (even this was way over priced!) I would definitely recommend looking elsewhere for tour packages.
Overall, this hotel was stunning and I would highly recommend it for some romantic relaxation in Antigua.

• Stayed: May 2011
4  Thank rr84
Write a ReviewReviews (1,392)

Reviewed 15 May 2011

Absolutely beautiful grounds. Very unique in the fact that the hotel built into the monastery and ruins. Incredible art and arttifacts. beautiful rooms Can't compare to luxury American rooms, but same level of service. We were traveling with a Guatemalan friend,so I don't know if that made difference. I thought the food was great and very inexpensive compared to US prices. Highly recommend going Holy week because pageantry phenomenal .

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank traveldiva97
Reviewed 7 May 2011

My passport was stolen from my room 240 and no body cares about it. I lost my fligth to retyurn to my country and my documents. Hotel people did nothing....

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business
3  Thank LuisBer1972
IrisGomez, Director de Recepción at Hotel Museo Spa Casa Santo Domingo, responded to this reviewResponded 23 May 2011

We were surprised when we read your comment. As you may remember, even though you didn´t use the safety deposit box inside your room (complimentary service) to keep your valuables, stayed in other Hotels in the city prior to ours and stating that you weren't sure of loosing your passport in CSD, one of our Managers was very concerned, assisted you in a special manner, kept in touch with you up to the moment you returned to your country and let you know about the investigation done in the property concluding that it had not been left here.

Reviewed 30 April 2011

There's no Place in the world quite like Antigua and certainly one doesn't get to stay every night in a beautifully restored 18th century Monastery. It's quite dramatic - from the long walkway of hanging orchids to the front desk, to the massive stone and brick walls, gurgling fountains, brilliantly colored macaws scattered about in specially built "tree houses" and immaculate grounds - the place is a work of art. Romantic, historic and tasteful. Although the site itself is quite extensive, it feels like a small,
elegant inn ... capable of handling a large wedding or moderate convention. The staff couldn't be friendlier. Its "hola, buenas dias" from every smiling face. Minor suggestion - my room was huge with fireplace and cable/ wi-fi, etc. and great shower pressure - but it was a little dark at night. Ask
For candles or bring a fashlight. Lovely, lovely place.

• Stayed: April 2011
2  Thank SanAntonioBill
Reviewed 22 April 2011

I have booked some events at the Hotel Casa Santo Domingo for weddings and
the facilities are spectacular. The food is delicious and the service
is great. The hotel staff are always willing to serve. The decor
of the rooms and social areas are of an exquisite taste. I believe
that this hotel is the best of Guatemala for special events, specially
weddings. Hotel Casa Santo Domingo is the place that brides dream of when they
want only the best memories of a very special day.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank piromas
Reviewed 31 March 2011

Good service, good food, very clean you can walk to the central park, I recomend the buffett an the museum along with the chapel and the candle factory.

Room Tip: stay at least 5 days
  • Stayed: December 2010
3  Thank aura1950
Reviewed 28 March 2011

This hotel is not to be missed. If you can even stretch to afford it, do so. The hotel is gorgeous, the food delicious, and the museums on the site are amazing. If you cannot afford the hotel, you must visit the museums and try to splurge for a meal.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business