“Everything you would expect from a 500 year old property..”

Hotel Museo Spa Casa Santo Domingo
Ranked #4 of 76 Hotels in Antigua
Ojochal, Costa Rica
“Everything you would expect from a 500 year old property..”
Reviewed 10 November 2013

I struggle to find the words to express how much I enjoyed this hotel. Having just arrived in Guatemala, armed with stories of how unsafe the country is, I went straight from the airport to the hotel. Stunning from the moment you walk in until you leave. Something for your camera around every corner; fountains, ruins, flowers, and more. The first day was like a treasure hunt, exploring the pottery and candle factory, crypts, grounds, museums, pool, restaurant & bar. They even had local weavers displaying their colorful fabrics, purses & scarves. The rooms were comfortable (Fireplace!); tastefully decorated. Nice amenities in the bathroom (Toothbrush, Toothpaste, sewing kit, razor, shower cap, in addition to the liquids and soap). The Service was spot on (if not excessively solicitous). To be disturbed the least amount of times, use the DND sign. My housekeeper was great, but even with the DND sign, I was visited by a housekeeper wanting to know if my room is okay, the about 30 minutes later she came back and wanted to personally hand me a letter that the water would be off for maintenance for a few minutes, then about an hour later with some laundry, etc. I'm not the kind of traveler that needs to be "checked on". That aside, excellent service from Claudia and Francisco at the front desk to the housekeeping staff to Pilar the Manager. Good Job! I ate in the restaurant a couple of nights and the food was very good (I had the filet). The bartender did not speak English, but we muddled through with my Spanglish. Almost every other person I encountered was bi-lingual. They play music all day (a mixture of chant, arias, gregorian, etc.) that gets a little much by about 10pm at night..but adds to the atmosphere for the first day or two. The 2nd day I ventured out with a guide on a walking tour. Only blocks from the square, the hotel, indeed this entire city, felt safe and welcoming. I will return!

Room Tip: I would consider a room away from the pool. The average temperature was very cool, so I didn't u...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank OsaJohn
IrisGomez, Gerente at Hotel Museo Spa Casa Santo Domingo, responded to this review, 18 December 2013
Thank you for such a nice comment. We are pleased to know you found everything to your liking, also that you enjoyed your stay and our service. We hope you return soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Forked River, NJ
Reviewed 30 October 2013

All the reviews here are right on the money. Excellent in every way. Accomodations, very cool place, great location, great town of Antigua (everything within walking distance), excellent food, excellent service. One of the most interesting places I've stayed (with their history), free museums are a plus, and the nearby town is really cool.

Fantastic place - highly recommended.

Room Tip: It seemed like all of the rooms are pretty good...having a view of a volcano to the south (I think...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank SurfTravelGuy
IrisGomez, Gerente at Hotel Museo Spa Casa Santo Domingo, responded to this review, 13 November 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments with us, we are pleased to know you enjoyed our services. We hope you return soon.
Bogota, Colombia
Reviewed 20 October 2013

we had a really nice stay here and our room was cozy and amazing. plus, the setting can't be beat. we really enjoyed the ambience and feel of the place but i can't give it 5 stars because a 5-star hotel should not have issues with water temperature. during my shower (even without toilet flushing at the same time in the bathroom), the water turned scolding hot unexpectedly 3 times. offputting.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank namchegompa
IrisGomez, Gerente at Hotel Museo Spa Casa Santo Domingo, responded to this review, 6 November 2013
Thank you very much for your comment. We are sorry to know that you had trouble with the water temperature during your shower. If you give us the opportunity of serving you again, pls contact me at igomez@casasantodomingo.com.gt; I will gladly look into your reservation directly.
Dallas Texas
Reviewed 17 October 2013

If you are interested in the history architecture and art in Antigua this is the property for you. The Hotel Santo Domingo not only exemplifies the finest quality of Art and Architecture in Antigua but your comfort and stay is a delight. Antigua displays some of the finest 16th through 18th century colonial architecture in the Americas and it is admirable that the owners purchased and then pursued at great length the restoration and embellishment of what is a very important and enormous property; lush and beautiful gardens; hidden courts and extensive ruins. the new parts of the hotel are the rooms and they are set amidst it all surrounded at all times by great art. Inside the rooms they provide all the comforts you would need.

I was first in the hotel when it opened years ago and have been at the property three times in the past year. I have been pleased everytime I have stayed. I have had different room types and they have all been terrific. My favorite is on the ground floor with doors and patios on to the gardens. The second floor windows and or balconies facing west provide beautiful views of the mountains especially at night when Fuego is a glow of molten lava. The suites are superlative gracious and worth the price tag. Casa Santo Domingo has a reputation for mixed service. Perhaps I have been lucky with my experiences but I also know that the Guatemalans are very kind and outgoing in their nature. If you offer a smile even in trying situations the tide may turn.. Generally expediciency is not the Guatemalan nature but courteous service comes naturally. It is important to realize that at the Santo Domingo you have to strike the balance and if you do the service will come naturally your way. The food is very good and the bar is great. The pool is delicous after a long day of walking and dust.

I will always have great memories of the Santo Domingo and I will return as often as I can.

Room Tip: the only rooms I would avoid are in the original wing that overlooks the gallery coming in from the...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Thank you very much for taking the time to write such a nice comment. We hope to have the opportunity of serving you in a near future.
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 26 September 2013

I have stayed now three times at the Casa Santo Domingo. The hotel itself is an amazing blend of rooms, ruins and a museum. The rooms are well decorated and quite comfortable. The hotel configuration is unique. The pool area is quite attractive but the museum and ruins are fantastic. The location is an old monastery and the planning that went into this project is admirable My only problem with the hotel is the service. It has never been great. On my last trip the service at the parking lot was seriously lacking. No one was available to assist us with our luggage as we got out of our taxi from Guatemala City/Airport. It was almost as if they did not want taxis at their parking lot entrance/door. We did not come in late in the evening so there was no excuse for that. We met several people in white gowns from the parking lot to the reception desk and no one smiled. Secondly, the lady at the desk was - well - rude. We had confirmed reservations but the travel agent (which is well known in Guatemala; we are from Dallas but prefer to use a local agency) had not sent in their number for payment. It was quickly resolved but She NEVER welcomed us back to the hotel - although on my second visit I received a very warm welcome. The food at the bar is not very good although the drinks are well made. Service at the bar is slow. I highly recommend the restaurant - although the brunch on Sundays is quite expensive. It is though very good. Service during this hour is not at its best but this is understanding given the number of people arriving. I do believe though that guests should be given priority and perhaps the opportunity to reserve a table the night before - especially on weekends. Why we have to pay for water and wifi is beyond me. Wifi is free at the local cafes but not here. The hotel is beautiful but the staff/service should improve match the wonderful hospitality shared by most people in Guatemala. Overall rating is low because of the service. I look forward to my next trip to see if the service has improved.

Room Tip: Unless you want to be near the pool choose the rooms to the left of the restaurant. It is secluded b...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank Volotravel
IrisGomez, Gerente at Hotel Museo Spa Casa Santo Domingo, responded to this review, 19 October 2013
Thank you for your sincere comments and I apologize for not meeting your expectations. On your next trip, we suggest you try our Restaurant and some of our Chef's specialties. For your information, we do receive reservations at the Restaurant and the info. is provided at the Front Desk upon your check in. I hope you give us the opportunity to serve you again, my name is Iris and you can contact me at: igomez@casasantodomingo.com.gt
Halifax, Canada
Reviewed 24 September 2013

We stayed here for two nights recently and our expectations of this 5 star hotel was high. Unfortunately we found the rooms rather outdated, dark and dirty. On day one, we found blue bubblegum stuck to the towel rail (despite the signs assuring guests that they scanned the place with ultra-violet lights to check for germs, etc). By day two it had still not been removed. The second day, a cleaning rag was also left on my clothes. Upon mentioning it to the staff, they simply shrugged their shoulders in an "anything else" kind of way. My wife later asked to speak to one of the managers who did take it more seriously and ultimately sent a bottle of wine and cheese to the room (and refunding us $60).
Our overall impression was of a hotel with stunningly beautiful public areas (aside from their one bar, which appears to be an interesting mixture between a sports-bar and a convent), but with tired and outdated rooms. The passage-ways to the rooms and the restaurant area (we did not dine here) are absolutely lovely with candles at night and rose-peddles everywhere. The hotel is very busy with lots of tourists walking through the premises to visit the beautiful ruins and museum. They obviously also host a lot of conferences and there are business-types hanging around everywhere.
I would definitely agree with other reviewers to rather visit this place but to stay elsewhere. Completely over-prized - especially compared to the other gems in town.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Janus S
IrisGomez, Gerente at Hotel Museo Spa Casa Santo Domingo, responded to this review, 1 October 2013
Thank you for your feedback. We are very sorry to learn that your Hotel stay didn't meet your expectations. We considered important to let you know that we strive to make continuous improvements (including room updating) which you will be able to experience if you visit us again in a future. We also wanted to let you know that we took immediate measures with the inconvenients reported.
Miami
Reviewed 20 September 2013 via mobile

This hotel is an ancient monastery. The whole hotel its a museum. The staff is really friendly and provide amazing custer service. The hotel has a spa, a very nice size pool , the rooms come with a very nice fire place that you can request to turn on with the front desk and they'll send someone to assist you, and a beutifull little balcony. It also has its own full bar, sushi bar, and full restaurant. I completely recommend this hotel if you go to antigua guatemala. Even if you dobt stay you can still go in and visit the museum portion of it like the catacombs, the church, its perfect for great pictures

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank Daniela E
IrisGomez, Gerente at Hotel Museo Spa Casa Santo Domingo, responded to this review, 27 October 2013
We appreciate very much your very nice comment and are pleased to know you enjoyed most of our services. Please let us know in advance if you plan on visiting us so we can update you with our new activities and services.