“Very good place, but dated interior and poor gym”

Hotel Museo Spa Casa Santo Domingo
Ranked #4 of 75 Hotels in Antigua
Reviewed 16 November 2013

This hotel is unique in terms of its site: constructed in the ruins of a former monastery, it conveys a charming atmosphere. Service and food are very good, even if some of the staff still lack experience and proactiveness.
If there is one thing to criticize, then it is the dated interior of the rooms with its rather old carpets and lack of sufficient lighting.
Fans of modern gyms will be disappointed by the tiny room offered for this purpose. However, for a couple on a Sightseeing Trip to Antigua, this hotel is a very good option.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
IrisGomez, Gerente at Hotel Museo Spa Casa Santo Domingo, responded to this reviewResponded 18 December 2013

Thank you very much for your comment and observations. We hope you return in a near future.

Reviewed 14 November 2013

We traveled to Guatemala few days ago through Adrenalina Tours, we are very happy because they recommended us to stay in this hotel, and of course we really this beautiful place, the staff is friendly enough to make people have a good time.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mary H

We appreciate very much such a nice comment and are pleased to know you enjoyed your stay. We hope to see you here soon.

Reviewed 12 November 2013

I really recomend to vist these place in Antigua before you go back home or comming to the lake Atitlan, if you are not staying at the hotel you should just have a look to these ruins, gardens, arquitecture, hotels design, the museum about the maya archaeoly, colonial art from Antigua Guatemala, and many more !

Room Tip: You mus have to have a visit, don´t miss it, one of the best experece from the museum, the hotel, th...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank MayaLandTravel

Thank you very much for your kind evaluation, we are glad to know that you enjoyed your visit to the archaeological area and museums.

Reviewed 10 November 2013

I took a group to this hotel in Antigua. The ambiance of this hotel is nothing short of spectacular. The group had nothing but great reviews of the hotel. It is an old monastery and still has a lot of incredible ruins within the compound. There are several museums within the complex.

My only negative about this hotel is, I wish the administration were a easy to deal with as the hotel is beautiful. The staff, maids, waiters, other workers were very friendly and quick to smile, but the higher paid personnel could learn about common courtesy from the above.

The hotel has 5 stars and it truly is.

Room Tip: Be sure and ask about charges for the room safe. We were not charged, but upon check-in the registr...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
4  Thank James F

Reviewed 10 November 2013

I struggle to find the words to express how much I enjoyed this hotel. Having just arrived in Guatemala, armed with stories of how unsafe the country is, I went straight from the airport to the hotel. Stunning from the moment you walk in until you leave. Something for your camera around every corner; fountains, ruins, flowers, and more. The first day was like a treasure hunt, exploring the pottery and candle factory, crypts, grounds, museums, pool, restaurant & bar. They even had local weavers displaying their colorful fabrics, purses & scarves. The rooms were comfortable (Fireplace!); tastefully decorated. Nice amenities in the bathroom (Toothbrush, Toothpaste, sewing kit, razor, shower cap, in addition to the liquids and soap). The Service was spot on (if not excessively solicitous). To be disturbed the least amount of times, use the DND sign. My housekeeper was great, but even with the DND sign, I was visited by a housekeeper wanting to know if my room is okay, the about 30 minutes later she came back and wanted to personally hand me a letter that the water would be off for maintenance for a few minutes, then about an hour later with some laundry, etc. I'm not the kind of traveler that needs to be "checked on". That aside, excellent service from Claudia and Francisco at the front desk to the housekeeping staff to Pilar the Manager. Good Job! I ate in the restaurant a couple of nights and the food was very good (I had the filet). The bartender did not speak English, but we muddled through with my Spanglish. Almost every other person I encountered was bi-lingual. They play music all day (a mixture of chant, arias, gregorian, etc.) that gets a little much by about 10pm at night..but adds to the atmosphere for the first day or two. The 2nd day I ventured out with a guide on a walking tour. Only blocks from the square, the hotel, indeed this entire city, felt safe and welcoming. I will return!

Room Tip: I would consider a room away from the pool. The average temperature was very cool, so I didn't u...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank OsaJohn

Thank you for such a nice comment. We are pleased to know you found everything to your liking, also that you enjoyed your stay and our service. We hope you return soon.

Reviewed 30 October 2013

All the reviews here are right on the money. Excellent in every way. Accomodations, very cool place, great location, great town of Antigua (everything within walking distance), excellent food, excellent service. One of the most interesting places I've stayed (with their history), free museums are a plus, and the nearby town is really cool.

Fantastic place - highly recommended.

Room Tip: It seemed like all of the rooms are pretty good...having a view of a volcano to the south (I think...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank SurfTravelGuy
IrisGomez, Gerente at Hotel Museo Spa Casa Santo Domingo, responded to this reviewResponded 13 November 2013

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments with us, we are pleased to know you enjoyed our services. We hope you return soon.

Reviewed 20 October 2013

we had a really nice stay here and our room was cozy and amazing. plus, the setting can't be beat. we really enjoyed the ambience and feel of the place but i can't give it 5 stars because a 5-star hotel should not have issues with water temperature. during my shower (even without toilet flushing at the same time in the bathroom), the water turned scolding hot unexpectedly 3 times. offputting.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank namchegompa
IrisGomez, Gerente at Hotel Museo Spa Casa Santo Domingo, responded to this reviewResponded 6 November 2013

Thank you very much for your comment. We are sorry to know that you had trouble with the water temperature during your shower. If you give us the opportunity of serving you again, pls contact me at igomez@casasantodomingo.com.gt; I will gladly look into your reservation directly.