“Want to stay in ancient run-ins?”

Hotel Museo Spa Casa Santo Domingo
Ranked #4 of 75 Hotels in Antigua
Trebes, France
“Want to stay in ancient run-ins?”
Reviewed 29 May 2014

This is the place to stay if you want to immerse yourself in ancient history, museums, crypts, great food and comfortable accommodations. We were there for a week and wandered through the grounds every chance we could. The museums on the grounds are interesting and full of artifacts.

If your are not the squeamish type, decent the spiral staircase near the Cathedral into one of the crypts…. bones and bodies…. what other hotel has this amity :-)

The food is great, breakfast is a buffet with make to order eggs. Sunday buffet is huge and it is best to go early as it gets busy. The dining room roof ends half way so you can choose to eat under the sky or indoors.

By the 4th day we had a reserved table in the lounge and they would bring us to the same table each time… not that we drink a lot… we just like the atmosphere of the lounge…

The pool is awesome, they serve by the pool…..

No A/C but ceiling fans work perfectly…. We had a first floor king.. definitely recommend that. Also ask to not be on the street side….

The center of town is only a few blocks away so shopping and dining are a breeze.

I'll be back --- hmm where did I hear that before ---

Room Tip: Definitely recommend the king bed on first floor. No elevators. Also ask to not be on the street sid...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
IrisGomez, Gerente at Hotel Museo Spa Casa Santo Domingo, responded to this review, 11 June 2014
Thank you very much for taking the time to write your comment. We are glad that you had enough time to enjoy our different services and to wander through the grounds. For your information, as a result of guest recommendations, we are currently working to install A/C in our rooms.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Riverside, California
Reviewed 27 May 2014

I Was there on a 2 night stay. The place is a beautiful place all around no one can take that from the hotel grounds.
However the service that the employees provide is awful. For as much as you are paying they should have excellent customer service and try to make your stay more pleasing and comfortable. They all seem to be unhappy to do anything for you. It all started when my first room I was given had a very large spirder on the bed and immediately requested a new one. The lady at the check in desk seemed bothered I requested a new room as if it was a inconvenience to her for me to do so.
At the restaurant that night I request a side of dressing and took them 30 minutes to bring it out. Mind you if the restaurant was busy then I completely understand. But there was only 3 other couples other then us. So By the time it was out my food was cold and I was more upset then hungry. No command curtesy for any of the servers for a simple I'm sorry or anything like that.
And on my check out day same young lady that checked me in, had the same attitude as if it was a inconvenience to have her do her job and check me out my room.
Things that went wrong in my visit were simple things. But goes to show you how important customer service is for us who are paying over 200$ a night. Save your self money and go else where. Theres plenty of beautiful hotels there.

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank Ricky1715
We are very sorry to know that you had such a bad experience during your stay and most of all, for not having known about it in order to solve it immediately. Even though we have a very strict pest control program and all our processes are certified, we will look into the matter. If you give us the opportunity of serving you in the future, pls contact me directly at igomez@casasantodomingo.com.gt so I can take care of your reservation personally.
London
Reviewed 22 May 2014

Spent 5 days here during a business trip. A converted convent similar to the Santa Clara in Cartagena. Rooms are spacious, each with a small balcony. Staff attentive and you never seem to see them as the place feels large and tranquil. But service did not suffer. Food was top notch, local and western and the bar was good. The centre of town was a five minute walk from the hotel. All in all a wonderful historic hotel in a part of the world people do not visit. But I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at the Santo Domingo.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Thank you very much for writing your comment. We are pleased to know that even though you visited on a business trip, you were able to enjoy our hotel and services.
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
Reviewed 18 May 2014

I was for breakfast there 2 times the first time was in the middle of the week and wa perfect, the second time wa in sunday and its too busy an ti many childrens running around. The buffet is kind of big, but you can order from the menu and they have prrety good recipies, plus the ambiance an the service is great. Plus the hotel its absulutily beautiful.
Also y strongly recomended vist the glass museum into the hotel, they had mayan pieces an the equivalent in a of piece of art in glass, its amazing! Also the museum directro Mrs. Campins its a lovely lady.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you very much for writing your comment. We are pleased to know you were able to enjoy our hotel and services. We hope you can come back son.
Metro Manila, Philippines
Reviewed 15 May 2014

Agree with the other reviews about the hotel - the location, the whole history, and the views are very good. The hotel certainly has an old world charm but I guess it is not for everybody. It was a monastery with all the antique furnishings and religious statues all around. This decor is combined with interesting modern art which makes the place kinda creapy. My room was in the ground level and at the end of a long and dark . The door lock takes some time to open and I needed to take a few turns before I was able to open the door. The trick is to push it a little bit more to the right until you hear a click. The room is like a cave with a rounded ceiling and there was a fireplace. There was a small courtyard garden outside which could be accessed through wooden doors. I was looking for the ac vent but could not find one and I guess there wasn't meant to be since the it was a lot cooler in Antigua and the room was constructed in a way to be kept cool. But I wanted to have some air circulation . There were small windows and you can open the balcony doors but I did not want to risk mosquitos coming in so I called the front desk for a fan. They initially though that all their rooms had a fan so they offered to show me how to make it work. They sent a guy and just to confirm that there was really no fan and then they sent a portable electric fan to the room.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms on the upper floors and not near the street
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Thank you very much for taking the time to write your comment. For your information, as a result of guest recommendations, we are currently working to install A/C in our rooms. Next time you visit us, please contact me to igomez@casasantodomingo.com.gt and I will gladly take care of your reservation.
Reviewed 13 May 2014

The restaurant is very nice too. Each suite has a jacuzzi bath that is seperate from the shower. The staff are very hospitable. They have the best limonada sangria I have ever tried. A little pricey but worth it.

Room Tip: All the rooms are nice. I would try to not get one closest to the street since the roads here are c...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
IrisGomez, Gerente at Hotel Museo Spa Casa Santo Domingo, responded to this review, 25 May 2014
Thank you for sharing your experience with others & hope you return soon.
San Jose, Costa Rica
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Hotel Casa Santo Domingo, located in Antigua Guatemala, is a very nice hotel, in a unique location. It is an old monastery, renovated, with a colonial look. The city is paceful, nice, with a mysterious atmosphere. We were with my wife for a wedding in the old church, inside the hotel.
However, our surprise was that in this very expensive hotel there are basic services not included in the fare. For example, it is incredible that wifi connection is not included, and an additional payment of $8 is needed. Lines for having a breakfast may last one hour or more. They do not have an included shuttle for the airport. At he end, the experience was disappointing.

Room Tip: If you want to be only resting, it is a nice place. If you need to stay connected, avoid this place.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Javier T
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at CSD. As you mention, we do charge a fee for access to internet and the rate is comparable to other hotels in the area but we definitly appreciate your observation and will look into the matter.