“No frills, authentic, classy colonial gem..”
Review of Aurora Hotel

Aurora Hotel
Ranked #25 of 75 Hotels in Antigua
Reviewed 23 February 2014

A fantastically atmospheric retreat from the bustle of Antigua redolent of a different era.. If you're looking for a fancy, manicured, amenity-packed hotel this isn't for you - if you're looking for a place that reflects the atmosphere and experience of the city itself then this can't be beaten.
Slightly worn around the edges but unspoiled by cheap alterations, conversion or additions this place oozes charm. From the free-standing reception desk that looks like a piece of furniture from a Victorian railway station to the generously proportioned, lusciously planted open courtyard to the lofty rooms to the grand, cool dining room where breakfast is generously served on platters and in large bowls.
The only thing that detracted was the painted metal roof visible from the courtyard where once clay tiles lay. Our room seemed noisy the first night but we quickly realised that the windows provide much better sound insulation when closed!
Cannot recommend highly enough.. Thank you Elizabeth.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that doesn't have a street window for the quietest night - those on two sides of...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 4 February 2014

One of our clients wanted to visit Antigua, and we thought that we would try this hotel which had been recommended by a friend. The price [$70] was lower than several other hotels we have stayed, but it was located only blocks from the Central Park, and had private parking - which are two things we always hope to have.
The architecture and interior gardens were prime examples of how Antigua once was, and still is.
The rooms were tastefully decorated with high wooden ceilings. Ours had a fireplace and was average in size with a small bathroom - but everything worked. The bed was very comfortable.
Sound from the neighbouring room seemed to transfer easily, so I am sure they heard me snoring.....
Our room was situated on 4 calle, which is the main exit from Antigua; so we could hear traffic heading home late at night - but it was not overwhelming.
The staff were helpful and polite, and the breakfast that was included was adequate and for a small surcharge [$8 for the 4 of us!] we were able to order 'a la carte'. The hotel also has WiFi.
We had two small complaints:
1. there were only 2 small towels, not exactly bath towels
2. the room had no Kleenex
So, not much to complain about - and I would recommend this hotel to a family or to a couple.

Room Tip: I would suggest a room that is not located on 4 calle, and if you want to spend a little extra - ask...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 January 2014

"I actually went to this hotel in Jan 2012, but wanted to give it a quick shout out! Great hotel with friendly service and great breakfast. It's in an old Spanish mansion and the room my now-fiancee and I stayed in probably use to be passageway for the carriages. It was huge and the bathroom was huge as well! The tub was big enough for two people and the shower could probably fit 10 people in it. They were very nice and allowed my parents and friends to come and sleep in our hotel room on the day we were checking out, so we checked out a little bit late. My parents and friend were flying in a few days after my fiancee and I. Great time and my fiancee still talks about that hotel almost 2 years later! :)"

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 January 2014

I have been coming to Antigua to study Spanish for two weeks at a time for four out of the past six years. Sadly, two wonderful places I had stayed before have been sold by their owners and are no longer hotels. I am thrilled to have found the Aurora Hotel as an alternative. It has a beautiful center courtyard, a great daily breakfast and perfect central location. The staff will do anything they can to make you feel at home. The rooms are basic (and without heat) but the bathrooms are modern and very spacious. The shower was huge which I really appreciate as a bigger guy. The wifi signal is very strong and reliable, better than I have had anywhere else in Antigua and most of the rooms are away from the cobblestone street noise. Unless you want to spend at least double the money, I doubt you can beat the Aurora Hotel. I will definitely return on my next visit!

Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 16 January 2014

In the heart of Antigua there is an oasis called Hotel Aurora. Step into the tile floored entry, ring the buzzer to have the gate opened and take a deep breath. A beautiful courtyard awaits you, with greenery and beautiful flowers. Surrounding the courtyard is a patio area which is surrounded by the guest rooms. The rooms are spacious with high ceilings and beautifully updated bathrooms. A continental breakfast is included in the moderate price. Just a few steps outside of Hotel Aurora a plethora of dining options and shopping await you.

Room Tip: Breakfast is the only meal served on site.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Sharon W
Reviewed 6 December 2013

when you travel from california to Central America you know you will get different level of service.
not really the case here Guatemala we have found to be real unique country .
this hotel is so calm and relaxed and the service is pure joy.
they are aware you are the one they keep their jobs and the show it with great service.
the rooms are like visiting old grandma in a flair of old times.
yet again if i wanted holiday in i will stay in the usa. smiling
really top location, walking around the heart of the city and having a wonderful few days in
this old city of colors and flavors. we enjoyed the hotel and we promise to come back.
no sour face service what's so ever!
i like it. as i know its not not always the case.

Room Tip: just ask for the south side room
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank navawritz
Reviewed 14 November 2013 via mobile

We stayed at Aurora Hotel during both of our visits to Antigua. This hotel gives excellent value for the price - breakfast is included, the rooms cleaned daily, and the staff is always more than willing to help.
The location couldn't be better. The same street includes many cute places to shop and there are various good restaurants in the vicinity. It is also a two minute walk to the Central Park.
One of my favorite things about this hotel is the relaxing atmosphere. Aurora Hotel has such beautiful gardens that I enjoyed waking up to. I recommend this hotel to anyone who values cleanliness and comfort at a good price.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple