“Nice but not worth the money”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Posada Del Angel

Posada Del Angel
Ranked #18 of 82 Hotels in Antigua
London, United Kingdom
“Nice but not worth the money”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2013

Although the hotel itself is beautifully designed and maintained its location is not ideal as its set a ways off from the centre of the town. In addition, for a hotel that charges 5 star prices, one would anticipate 5 star service and facilities. Service was disjointed at best, no turn down, curtain closing service, and the hotel has no ability to serve meals outside of breakfast.
The rooms themselves have no A/C and although there was a minibar, it was empty.
All of these are minor points in isolation but the sum of it make for an overpriced stay for what is offered.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Griffin257

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2013

Posada del Angel was the perfect choice for us - a romantic getaway with plenty of privacy but always attentive and friendly service. Nothing was ever too much trouble for the staff. I would like to single our Simon in particular who prepared our rooms and served our food with immense care and grace. The building itself is absolutely beautiful and very luxurious; elegantly and tastefully decorated. We stayed in the Yellow Room which overlooked the patio pool and was spacious yet still homely. When I think of Antigua, I think of our wonderful memories of this hotel. I would recommend it to everyone and anyone and would return within a heartbeat, given the chance. It sets the standard for hotels all over the world.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ft6260
Oakland, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2013

Quick review:
We can't say enough about this hotel.
We got off a long overnight flight (I was 34 weeks pregnant) and they were so sweet and offered us a room to relax in before ours was ready at 8am. That was a classy move! After a quick nap and an amazing roof top breakfast we enjoyed the city.
The breakfast was amazing!
We stayed in the green room which was beautiful.
We stayed one night here and another at Santo Domingo. I would hands down come back to Posada del Angel. SERVICE...SERVICE... SERVICE and the rooms were great.
Thank you for a great stay!

We also used Elizabeth Bell tour company for many things. They also are a class act. I will review them more on their page.

Go to Hectors for dinner.

1 Thank DancinDeb
Atlanta
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2013

With just 7 rooms this boutique hotel has a warm homey feeling. A spectacular architectural achievement with new constructions which looks hundreds of years old. Gracious staff. Delicious hearty breakfast. Rooftop patio overlooking the town. We stayed in the blue room with soaring ceiling. Huge comfortable bed. We enjoyed a fire on a cool night.

Only complaint is that the pool should be heated. I wanted to swim after a long day touring, but it was more of a splash, scream and get out.

3 Thank wwtraveler_10
Avignon, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2013

I just returned from a 7 night stay at Posada del Angel. My sister and I were very comfortable, and the staff treated us royally in terms of attentiveness, helpfulness, and courtesy. The hotel is an aesthetic gem - you can imagine what it would be like to live in a gorgeous yet homey colonial house. I could list so many details - fresh roses in our room, a fire in our room's fireplace to warm a cool evening, votive candles that line the walkways at night, Guatemalan textiles beautifully featured in all the rooms, delicious breakfasts (with choices), artwork, landscaping ---just perfect. And the staff - wonderful! They helped arrange our day trips to Chichi and Lake Atitlan with safe drivers and a wonderful, knowledgeable guide. From restaurant suggestions to shopping ideas, they helped us make the best use of our time. In my opinion, staying at this small jewel of a hotel beats a stay at any of the larger colonial hotels in town - they can't touch the level of service we experienced at Posada del Angel. This was my second stay at the hotel, and both visits were exceptional.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank Jonikc
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2013

I just returned from a 4 night stay at this lovely hotel. The staff went above and beyond to accommodate my group the entire time. I arrived very early in the day and was unable to access my room. The staff provided me breakfast and a place to freshen up. Once the rest of my party arrived, the hotel called me so I wouldn't have to worry about checking in to see if they were there yet. They also helped arrange activities/transportation/meals. The entire experience was amazing. Our room was beautifully decorated and the sheets were quite possibly the softest I've ever slept on. I would recommend this hotel to anyone and plan to stay there again on my next visit to Antigua.

Room Tip: Room 4 has a king size bed. Most of the other rooms are double or queen sized. Room 3 was closer to...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Lesley C
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2013

Posada del Angel is a special hotel in a very special city. Behind an unassuming door only a few blocks from the city plaza sits a charming hideaway with just a few rooms and delightful sitting area. Above them is a rooftop garden where breakfast is served in a setting, surrounded by volcanoes, that is hard to match anywhere. In addition to the the terrific facility, the staff, led by Anibal, couldn't be nicer or more helpful. If you are tired of the standard upscale hotel and hotel room and are looking for a unique place to stay with extraordinary charm, this is the place for you.

4 Thank SnowTT