“Romantic home away from home”
Review of Posada Del Angel

Posada Del Angel
Ranked #19 of 76 Hotels in Antigua
Philadelphia
“Romantic home away from home”
Reviewed 13 December 2008

We absolutely loved everything about this hotel - the rooms, the decor, the fireplaces, the garden, the fresh breakfasts and the helpful, professional but down to earth staff. We even loved the location, central, but still far enough away from all the crowds. This hotel has a winning formula and I wouldn't change anything. This is Antigua's hidden jewel.....

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled on business
1 Thank espop

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
New York City, New York
Reviewed 7 December 2008

My husband and I stayed here for a total of 4 nights in early December 2009. I picked this place b/c it seemed full of local charm and sophistication, its reasonable price (relatively) and I must admit, because Bill Clinton chose to stay here when he visited Antigua many years ago. From start to finish, I was very pleased with our choice. The staff was very helpful and arranged for various private shuttles for us to the sites/airport and for reservations. The rooms are a tranquil retreat from the hustle and bustle of the streets (for Antigua) and we felt like very special guests. The terrace provided a spectacular backdrop for breakfast and a sunset glass of wine; the pool in front of our room and its waterfall really lent a sense of resort to the place. I would definitely stay here again.

• Liked — sophisticated but authetic decor and comfortable rooms
  • Disliked — was perhaps one block too far from the Parque Central
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DCMANYC
Guatemala
Reviewed 4 October 2008

I am from Guatemala and often go to Antigua just to spend the day and than return to the city. A few days ago I wanted to get away for a couple of days and just relax and receive excelent service. I was told about Posda del Angel by a friend and after I spend a week end there with my wife I really have to recommend it to everyone who is looking for a confortable, relaxing, yet luxurios experience. This charming hotel is situated about 4 blocks from the center of the city, but at the same time is situated in the residential area of Antigua. This way you don not any noise from the buses or the traffic of all the turist that visit the city. The sservice is excelent! they really make you feel at home. I was told they have just renovated their bedding, nowonder I did not want to get out of bed. You all pay atention to the sheets, pillows and mattress. It is amazing that these people pay so much atention t small details like these.

• Liked — service, bedding, silence, privacy, view from terrace
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank dolron
Miami
Reviewed 20 August 2008

I visited Antigua Guatemala a few days ago and I have to say I am amazed by the town, but even more amazed by this beautiful boutique hotel I stayed at, Posada del Angel – I chose Posada del Angel because my travel agent, to whom I trust a lot in choosing unique, very exclusive little places for my vacations, recommended it a lot, but boy was I surprised when I got there! I wish I’ve known of that place before I got married – it’s the perfect place for the wedding I’ve always dreamed of. We got there at around 7.30pm when the guardian, don Simon, had just finished lighting all the candles around the house, the lap pool, the garden and the terrace – I have no words to define how romantic, sophisticated and stylish this ambiance is at the terrace; not to mention the view of the volcanoes I got while enjoying a bottle of Navarro Correas (Argentinian Wine) with my husband. We stayed at the Mary Sue Suite, recently inaugurated by HRH Prinz von of Saxe-Gessaphe, Germany and his wife princess Gisela of Baviera. I can see why a prince would choose Posada del Angel and that particular suite.

Stayed August 2008
1 Thank Garfield97
AV. PERU casi HERRERA
Reviewed 19 August 2008

Myself and my husband plus another couple that’s almost our partner when it comes to traveling stayed at Posada del Angel and want people to know that they can not expect absolutely anything ess than the best in there. We were lucky to meet the new owners who were so nice to sit down and share with us the beautiful history that’s behind the doors of Posada del Angel. Probably by now you can read about it on their website because they said they were in the process of renovating it, but I have to say that the previous owner – Mary Sue Morris - was the creator of that beautiful, colonial house, but the new owners are the ones that give the 5 stars to this hotel bringing it to the highest level of traveling when it comes to excellence and philanthropy. We are rom South America and love traveling to exotic places, always looking for places like this Posada to stay in and recommend to our clients, since we happen to be in the travel industry. Mary Sue reated Posada del Angel in the 90’s (I think around 95) making it the creator of the concept of boutique hotels in Antigua. She was an American who in one of her trips landed in Antigua and ell in-love with this colonial city of Antigua and I can understand why. Unfortunately she was a cancer patient and passed away little less than two years ago. She fell in love with Antigua so much that she left all her state in a trust so that when the hotel was sold all the funds would be donated to a fund created by her to educate children with fewer resources in Antigua. These two young professionals bought this little treasure in Antigua and now are in the process of establishing procedures to support this fund by donating a certain amount of dollars for every eservation they get. I just think it is very amazing to find out what goes on behind the wood antique front door of Posada del Angel: it is a well kept secret!

Stayed July 2008
2 Thank misssur
Los Angeles
Reviewed 13 August 2008

After an exhausting search for a hotel in the rain and the dark, the staff at this hotel brought us inside, and although they didn't have rooms available, they called and found an incredible deal for us at another lovely hotel. It was about 8pm, and we were at our wits end after spending the whole afternoon searching for a place to stay. We have been to Antigua countless times, and have never had a problem on a Monday night! However, we didn't realize that this week was a Salvadorean holiday, and the hotels were booked. Anyway, the staff at Posada del Angel went out of their way to help us find a room at an affordable price, and that gesture meant so much to us after such a tiring evening. I cannot recommend this place highly enough!

• Liked — The service and consideration expressed by the staff, and the gorgeous hotel
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank laljm
USA
Reviewed 4 July 2008

Last month me and my wife visited Antigua Guatemala for the first time. What an amazing town! For people like us, who enjoy a stylish way of traveling to colonial cities, this a perfect place. Antigua is a colonial city where travelers still get the “local taste.” What I am trying to say is that this gorgeous city still keeps its personality and is not yet as “commercialized” as other famous colonial towns. We were really surprised by the hospitality of the locals. We stayed at a beautiful colonial boutique hotel, Posada del Angel -- What a charming place! I would recommend it to anyone who looks for great, personalized service and in a quiet, private, luxurious place to stay. We were impressed by the willingness of the staff to make us fell at home. We had dinner at the terrace with the view of the volcanoes at sunset– something you can not miss when you stay there.