“Charming, full of character and an excellent value.”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Posada Del Angel

Posada Del Angel
Ranked #18 of 82 Hotels in Antigua
Chicago, Illinois
“Charming, full of character and an excellent value.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2009

My aunt and I spent three nights at the Posada in December, and I really loved it. We had the blue room, which had twin beds and its own wood-burning fireplace. It wasn't huge, but it was great for two people and beautifully decorated. I also enjoyed spending time in the indoor/outdoor lounge, with its fireplace, interesting antiques and comfy furnishings. the roof terrace overlooking Antigua and the surrounding mountains was also a pleasant place for a glass of wine. We even saw some fireworks from here one night! I didn't try the lap pool, but it certainly was a pleasant addition to the ambience.

The staff too was very friendly and warm. The porter/waiter/jack-of-all-trades staff person insisted on getting up early to make sure we had juice and sandwiches to take with us when we left at 6:00 a.m.

The Posada is on the southern edge of town, but it's still walking distance to everything in Antigua. Its slightly out-of-the-way location means there's little traffic noise to disturb you, even during the day.

When we come back to Antigua - and I do hope to come back soon - I would love to stay again at the Posada del Angel.

• Stayed December 2008, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Oxford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2009

We were fortunate enough to upgrade to the popular Rose Suite (our agent having misbooked us into a standard room). At about US $300. per night B&B after taxes it is expensive but I feel worth it. It is on the top floor of the property, has it's own terrace and bathroom containing a spectacular double jacuzzi bath ( Bill Clinton famously stayed in this suite -- but without Hilary!). The bed is large and comfortable. There are fireplaces in the bedroom and bathroom for colder nights.
I felt that the standard rooms, although $100. per night cheaper, were not such good value. They are on the ground floor, rather crammed with furniture and without much direct daylight.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
Eagle River, Alaska
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2009

We stayed at the Posada del Angel with our two year old last month and absolutely loved it. We endured an unplanned 24 hour travel marathon followed by a gorgeous, but exhausting trek through Tikal. Coming to relax at this beautiful boutique hotel for four days was pure heaven! The staff went above and beyond for us (even getting up at 4:30 AM to make sure we were up to get to the airport), the grounds are breathtaking, and the breakfasts were superb. I cannot say enough about how wonderful our stay was. The hotel is also just a few blocks away from Parque Centrale so you're away from the noise, but within walking distance of everything. If we ever find ourselves in Antigua again I know where we'll be staying!

• Liked — Service, Decor, Comfort, Location
  • Disliked — Nothing!
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled with family
Philadelphia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 December 2008

We absolutely loved everything about this hotel - the rooms, the decor, the fireplaces, the garden, the fresh breakfasts and the helpful, professional but down to earth staff. We even loved the location, central, but still far enough away from all the crowds. This hotel has a winning formula and I wouldn't change anything. This is Antigua's hidden jewel.....

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled on business
1 Thank espop
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 December 2008

My husband and I stayed here for a total of 4 nights in early December 2009. I picked this place b/c it seemed full of local charm and sophistication, its reasonable price (relatively) and I must admit, because Bill Clinton chose to stay here when he visited Antigua many years ago. From start to finish, I was very pleased with our choice. The staff was very helpful and arranged for various private shuttles for us to the sites/airport and for reservations. The rooms are a tranquil retreat from the hustle and bustle of the streets (for Antigua) and we felt like very special guests. The terrace provided a spectacular backdrop for breakfast and a sunset glass of wine; the pool in front of our room and its waterfall really lent a sense of resort to the place. I would definitely stay here again.

• Liked — sophisticated but authetic decor and comfortable rooms
  • Disliked — was perhaps one block too far from the Parque Central
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DCMANYC
Guatemala
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 October 2008

I am from Guatemala and often go to Antigua just to spend the day and than return to the city. A few days ago I wanted to get away for a couple of days and just relax and receive excelent service. I was told about Posda del Angel by a friend and after I spend a week end there with my wife I really have to recommend it to everyone who is looking for a confortable, relaxing, yet luxurios experience. This charming hotel is situated about 4 blocks from the center of the city, but at the same time is situated in the residential area of Antigua. This way you don not any noise from the buses or the traffic of all the turist that visit the city. The sservice is excelent! they really make you feel at home. I was told they have just renovated their bedding, nowonder I did not want to get out of bed. You all pay atention to the sheets, pillows and mattress. It is amazing that these people pay so much atention t small details like these.

• Liked — service, bedding, silence, privacy, view from terrace
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank dolron
Miami
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2008

I visited Antigua Guatemala a few days ago and I have to say I am amazed by the town, but even more amazed by this beautiful boutique hotel I stayed at, Posada del Angel – I chose Posada del Angel because my travel agent, to whom I trust a lot in choosing unique, very exclusive little places for my vacations, recommended it a lot, but boy was I surprised when I got there! I wish I’ve known of that place before I got married – it’s the perfect place for the wedding I’ve always dreamed of. We got there at around 7.30pm when the guardian, don Simon, had just finished lighting all the candles around the house, the lap pool, the garden and the terrace – I have no words to define how romantic, sophisticated and stylish this ambiance is at the terrace; not to mention the view of the volcanoes I got while enjoying a bottle of Navarro Correas (Argentinian Wine) with my husband. We stayed at the Mary Sue Suite, recently inaugurated by HRH Prinz von of Saxe-Gessaphe, Germany and his wife princess Gisela of Baviera. I can see why a prince would choose Posada del Angel and that particular suite.

Stayed August 2008