“Great trip”

Pacaya Volcano
Book In Advance
More Info
and up
Pacaya Trek Volcano Round-Trip Transportation...
Ranked #5 of 89 things to do in Antigua
Reviewed 10 July 2014

Great (reasonably easy) trip up a volcano. We roasted marshmallows at the top! It was crazy. Deff worth a visit if your in the area. Take a rain coat and comfy shoes. Cost 80Q each plus 50Q to get in (which you pay once you get there). Numerous venders selling trips from Antigua. The guide that takes you does it for tips so make sure you have some $$. Plus if u find it to hard you can hire a horse to take u up.

1  Thank Jenna and Scott L
Write a ReviewReviews (2,173)
All reviews
in 23 reviews
"decent shape"
in 20 reviews

Reviewed 10 July 2014

We hiked up the Pacaya Volcano and used Guatemelanguide.com to schedule our week of fun, culture and adventure The hike took us awhile because of the elevation and uphill hike but it was well worth it. we just went slow and the views were so enjoyable to stop and observe so it was not a problem. there also was a lot of plants and flowers to enjoy along with many butterflies. when you finally round the corner and see the active volcano of Pacaya it is special. The smoke, lava, mountainside and lush greenery all around. Truly a unique and one of a kind experience. The guides heated marshmallows in a heat vent and they tasked amazing. watch where you stand as it can start melt some shoes in only some spots. the guides watch out and make you stay on safe trails. Kids will absolutely love this experience and remember it always. Do not forget to shop at the Lava shop at the top. The purchases support charities and education programs. the artisans have created wonderful jewelry fro, the lava so it si special to enjoy also.

Reviewed 9 July 2014

I started out to walk the 2.8Km distance but the beginning of the path is smooth stones set in concrete. My boots slipped on the smooth stones so badly I quickly decided I wouldn't be able to make it. I'm 68 years old and thought I was in-shape. Anyway, I stopped and there was a kid with a mangy horse immediately behind me. It smelled so bad I almost couldn't stand it. The cost was 200 Quetzal for up and down plus I gave him a 50Q tip. The kid's name was Alex. Lean forward going up and back going down. The slope at times had to be 60 degrees or higher. At the top of the walk we were at the base of Volcano Pacaya. Its sides were steaming and where we stood it was hot enough to roast marsh mallows. I'm diabetic so I gave my marsh mallow to a dog. Antigua area is almost overrun with stray dogs that are constantly hunting for anything to keep them alive. It's pitiful. Our driver, whose company we had purchased the tickets with, drove us back to Antigua and dumped us in the Central Plaza. Refused to take us back to our hotel, which is where they picked us up. If you don't want to be dumped at the Central Plaza, be sure they will take you back to your hotel.

Back to the volcano. Our trip was obscured by clouds so do what you can to pick a clear day. Otherwise you will be like us. We didn't get to see the peak of the volcano. Saw lots of plants though. There is so much rain here the trail is almost overgrown by the jungle.

4  Thank wwarren777
Reviewed 6 July 2014

after a steep hike up the mountain you arrive to the lava area, still hot and smoking. the vie is completely surrealist and you can feel the power of the mother earth,

1  Thank Jen J
See more reviews
Reviewed 3 July 2014

We had a good half day trip to Pacaya and it was interesting to see an active volcano, a lava slide from March and cook marshmallows over the heat, but the walk itself was not very interesting and not really that hard at all. We went on a Friday and it was so busy that you basically queued up the hill behind other groups and the horse taxis. Having just done a 3 day trek with Quetzaltrekkers from Xela to Lago Atitlan, I'd say save your money on Pacaya (we paid 65QZ plus 50QZ entry fee) and do a longer trek. If you've never seen a volcano then this trip would be a good introduction, but don't go at the weekend!

2  Thank Claire T