“Amazing Experience”

US$78.00*
Pacaya Volcano Tour from Guatemala City
Ranked #3 of 86 things to do in Antigua
Reviewed 27 July 2014

Just for the sheer experience of hiking up a volcano, this is a place you need to go. I am young and not overweight at all and yet this hike was extremely difficult. My group didn't use any of the rest stops on the way as we were being rushed by our guides who said it was going to rain and we needed to avoid it. I suppose they weren't very accommodating for the rest of us who struggled. If you are older or in poor physical condition, take what they call a "taxi" which is really just a horse up the volcano. At the top, my group roasted marshmallows with a steam vent. They didn't really cook at all but it was still cool.

1  Thank MissRAD

Reviewed 24 July 2014

Two days ago my boyfriend and I took Luis Travels (There are so many travel agencies that take the tour so just pick any in Antigua... None of them are really that reliable). We took the 2pm tour and the hike was a little more intense then I thought but we had a tour of 15 people and everyone made it. The views are just amazing and then with the sunset on top of it! WOW!!!!! It was number one on my favorite things we did in Guatemala. Definitely make time for it! We just did the half day trip and got home around 8/8:30.. The school bus dropped us off at the big market and we just walked to our hostel. We brought our own marshmellows and were able to make the most perfect roasted marshmellow I have ever made (can check that off your bucket list). Definitely go!

4  Thank Carolina R
Reviewed 23 July 2014

This was a truly amazing experience that I will never forget! I thought I was in decent shape, but let me tell you, this was a tough climb in some parts! Definitely get the walking stick or grab a ride on the horse! Lunch with our tour guide was perfect, as were the views!

1  Thank Gina W
Reviewed 22 July 2014

If you're going to hike, don't underestimate this one. While the trail isn't very long, it gains about 2,500ft at a grade over 30%. It is VERY steep. Take your time and catch your breath often while admiring the view and snapping pictures. Also, bring extra water. Our hired guide only provided 1 bottle per person. We asked him to stop at a gas station on the way and got more. We went through 3 bottles per person and probably could have used a 4th. There were 2 port-a-potties at the parking lot at the start of the hike.

Cons: The trail starts out surrounded by vegetation and even if you say "no" to riding a horse, they will still annoyingly follow you. The lower part of the trail is also covered in horse droppings which isn't great for breathing heavily.

Pros: The scenery is fantastic! If it is a clear day, your entire first part of the hike will bring spectacular views across the valley to Vulcan de Agua. Further up, you will eventually lose the vegetation and hike across some volcanic sand and rock. It's a well beaten path. We saw the new lava flow from the last major eruption in March and roasted marshmallows in a hot spot.

When you're done, you will feel a sense of accomplishment and pride.

P.S. I'm VERY glad I brought my trekking poles on this one especially since this was the biggest hike I've done after having ankle surgery 4 months prior.

2  Thank Stu S
Reviewed 21 July 2014

I heard other travelers found this hike easy, but I found it somewhat difficult and am definitely in good shape! You can ride a horse up if you want, but half the fun is the hike. If you prepare enough, pack marsh mellows to roast in the lava! My friends and I paid $10 USD not including entrance fee to the volcano.