“Terrible Restaurant Service”
Review of Soleil La Antigua

Soleil La Antigua
Ranked #17 of 75 Hotels in Antigua
Reviewed 23 April 2012

Three of us stayed in the hotel for seven nights and ate in the sports bar about 10 times. We spent our days at an orphanage, so returned each night exhausted and didn't have the energy to venture out of the hotel. With seven waiters to help maybe five diners, the service should have been great. We would ask for bread 4 times at about 5 minute intervals before it would appear. Everything would be an ordeal. We would marvel at how busy they were at doing nothing. Four people were always enthralled at two computers. Our needs were never anticipated and they didn't seem to recognize us from morning to evening or day to day. One morning, I asked for tres coffee con leche, then my friend asked for the same. We went through the breakfast buffet and returned to the table to find one cup of coffee -- even though we asked for the same thing every morning from the same waiters. Our cups were NEVER refilled or a new beer order taken without our flagging down a waiter. Loudly. I have visited many countries and eaten in many places and have NEVER had this bad of service in any place in the world. The food, however, was passably good.

Room Tip: Some rooms are very far from the front desk.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends

Reviewed 3 March 2012

First impression..walking amongst hanging orchids throughout the grounds...delightful staff and rooms..completely enjoyed our stay....easy 15 min walk from the center of town....big plus, we met the BEST tour guide in the parque central rightvby the cathedral...Luis took us to five charming local villages..perfect. Don't miss Antigua!!

• Stayed: January 2012
Reviewed 15 February 2012

I am in my second week at Soleil Antigua in a kitchenette suite. I love the grounds, which are gated and maintained beautifully with all manner of flora, fountains and seating along the pathway to rooms. The property has a nice pool, tennis courts and restaurant. Buffet breakfast is $12 USD which is very expensive for this town. Breakfast can be had for $3-6USD in an average restaurant. The property is maintained adequately and most things appeared to be in working condition. I have had problems twice during the first week, returning to my room only to have the keys not work. There is a very long walk from the rooms to the front desk and having to walk back to the front desk to have this taken care of is not something I look forward to.
My real concerns began when all kitchen cabinets are found locked. What good is a kitchenette if you do not have access to the utensils and cookware? It might as well be a regular room. I asked why were the cabinets all locked? Was there something I needed to know about this? I was told I had to sign for the cabinets to be unlocked,and there was a price by all the items that I would be charged if anything was missing. Now this would have been OK if I were the only person with access to the room. All the hotel staff has access and I do not even have a key to lock it up while I am out, yet I am responsible for everything. This just sounds a little odd and makes me think that thefts are prevalent for such rules to be in place.
This caused me to see red flags, so when someone knocked on my door one Sunday night and was trying to open the door before I could get there to answer, I became somewhat alarmed. She stated she was staff and just checking to see if everything was alright. In checking with the front desk they said this was routine but after a week as a guest this was the very first time for my room. I was not allowed to check in for my full 2 weeks at one time because my reservations were made at different times and I had 2 reservation numbers for each week. I was told to come back for the next week. Since i was going to be out of the city on the day my next week began, I tried to check in for the next week the day before and I was told again to return, which agitated me as I had already explained I would not be there. I speak a little Spanish, but it seems it might have even been more difficult had i not spoken any Spanish. The front desk staff do not appear to be always trained for hospitality, and the rules of this hotel do not seem to be based on guest hospitality considering the locked kitchenette cabinets. I don't check out until this weekend, but I'm not sure I would wish to go through all these complications in the future when visiting a resort in a foreign country which I have never visited before.

Room Tip: All rooms are a long walk from the front desk and entrance and exit.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank wrldtrvlr3341
Reviewed 5 February 2012

Antigua-"old Guatemala" , is beautiful with it's old ruins/churches and cobblestone streets.Hotel was walking distance from the main part of the city appx 10min walk.Many restaurants and pubs to choose from , shopping was great, many bargains.The hotel was beautiful premises were clean , 2 pools to choose from , one for families with children , and for those without. Loved the fireplace in the room, added a very romantic touch at the end of every night, and there's a spa on the premises, I highly recommend the couple massage.We has a a beautiful memorable time.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Yaz6776
Reviewed 1 February 2012

It is far away from the airport and also from Guatemala City, but it is right in the "middle" of Antigua, so every place seems to be close. Very nice external environment like an old Spanish "hacienda" with internal gardens and two kinds of buildings: old and new ones. Depending of which one you choose, rooms are more or less comfortable. There are a couple of pools of hot water. One potential problem is that in the bathroom there is no "real" pure water, that is not important as usually no one drinks it, but it is somehow uncomfrotable to brush your teeth or take a shower.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank E T
CarlosRMendizabal, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Soleil La Antigua, responded to this reviewResponded 21 October 2016

Thank you very much for taking the time to write us a review, for us this is a great opportunity to know what our guest experienced at Soleil La Antigua.

Reviewed 29 November 2011

We stayed at the hotel for a week in late September and enjoyed our stay. A few comments:
1. It is not far at all to the city center. Maybe a 10 - 15 minute walk and they have a free shuttle. The tuk tuk is about $3 - $4 (american) and we took that at night when coming back from the city center, but otherwise felt very safe walking.

2. We exchanged through RCI timeshare. The room is for sure not what you would find in the U.S. for a timeshare. Our week there were no rooms w/ kitchens available so we had just a small room with a fireplace when we walked in and it overlooked the pool. That wasn't ideal for us, but they said they had no other rooms available. We also appreciate a kitchen when traveling so we paid for an upgrade to a room with a living room and small kitchen, which was fine, but not worth the $50 extra we paid so I would likely advise against that upgrade. Room was comfortable and clean though and the beds were very comfortable.

3. Staff was very nice and helpful. Most spoke English or understood my broken/limited Spanish.

4. Restaurant food was just OK, good in a pinch, but I would recommend restaurants in the city center over the hotel. Staff at the restaurant were great - always very friendly and helpful.

We had the hotel pick us up at the airport and take us back at the end of the week (about 45 - 60 minutes away) and that was an additional cost - I think about $40 each way. You can arrange other transportation with various companies, but we found it easiest to work with the hotel tour company. We also used the hotel tour company to arrange a tour of a coffee plantation (fantastic, very interesting tour! $20 each person)

We used Old Town Outfitters for our volcano tour and they were fantastic and cheaper than the resort tour company.

Overall, we found the resort to be in a great location, staff to be very nice and the grounds to be very lovely. I think you must have realistic expectations when you stay at the resort. When we told people in town where we were staying they said it was incredibly nice. Remember you are in Guatemala and resorts there are different than other places, especially the U.S.

We loved our stay and Antigua and found it all to be a great adventure!

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the pool area - it can get very loud.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank krkchicago
Reviewed 15 November 2011

We droped by this hotel on our honeymoon, two nights.
The room was clean, I guess. But you could tell it hadn't been opened, or ventilated, in a long time. It was damp, in the smell and the furniture. The bathroom, not properly illuminated. A half metre deep old tv standing in the furniture. two couches placed before the chimeney.
We slept on the bed. My husband wouldn't care much, but I slept on my full clothes.
Also, there was a party of business men attending some sort of congress. I cannot understand how they developed into seventeen-year-old kids when night came by, shutting doors, screaming, running on the hallways. We complained to the front desk, however their party would go on until am.
On the following day, we met this family from Salt Lake City who told us about their same problem, and how they had been moved to a different room, on the upper level.
So there it was, the problem was related to being in the first floor, at the same level as the swimming pool.
So we requested to change rooms. There was no problem, except there were no queen bed rooms available. Yay, a honeymoon on a separate bed, that makes a lot of sense. We find out that the new room was a whole new experience: no dampness, totally ventilated, a nice flat tv! And an upper floor.
We had a couple of further rpoblems (like leaving some personal items on the latter room and, oh no, they were gone! when we requested them in the front desk. By the second time we requested them, this time more seriously, hey, magically they appeared).

Ah, we wouldn't make use of the spa. We did use the gym, which was indeed small. We wouldn't swim in the pool either. We did take the breakfast at the restaurant one day. From what I recall, there was nothing wrong about it (a little pricey, though).

Many critiques here complain about how far the hotel is form the city center. I cannot find this far, it is a 10 minute walk at most, really, no big deal. It is not even dangerous walking in Antigua, so really, stretching your legs shouldn't be much of a problem.

We really enjoyed Antigua. Good thing for us, we only would use the hotel to sleep. Although I do not know it for sure, I would say there are better sleeping choices than this hotel.

Room Tip: Avoid first floor rooms.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple