“Elegant 17th C digs”

Ranked #8 of 75 Hotels in Antigua
San Francisco
“Elegant 17th C digs”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

This is a beautiful property with incredible taste in decor. It is located in an up scale quiet area of the city within easy access to quaint La Antigua. It is CLEAN QUIET AESTHETIC SPOT WITH GOOD SERVICE AND A RESTAURANT FIT FOR FOODIES

Room Tip: THIS LOOKS LIKE AN EXPENSIVE HOTEL BUT IT IS A VALUE . SO UPGRADE. however all the rlow rise hotel a...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank ECAMERONSanFrancisco

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
  • Hebrew first
Trebes, France
Reviewed 23 May 2014

Went for dinner in May 2014. Took a stroll up the staircase out to the roof. The roof has tables and chairs for outdoor dining and cocktails. There is another staircase that takes you even higher and then a smaller set of stairs to get to the top of the roof. you are now way up… Great spot for pictures which of course we did. So touristy…. Great vie up there if you don't mind climbing and watch your step.

The food and service are fabulous. Went with my wife and another couple. We all got different dishes.. The tuna was prepared perfectly. the coq au vin was delicious, steak and lasagna were equally as great.

There was dancing and live band in the area next to the dining room. Be sure to check out the indoor lap pool. you can get a table next to the pool of you wish….

Definite keeper… Must go again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank hyjinx
Erlangen, Alemania
Reviewed 16 May 2014

Panza Verde is one of my "must go"s when in Antigua. The food is amazing and so is the service. And I'm one who's paying a great deal of attention to both...

To make a long story short, I was always happy during my time at Panza Verde and reason for that is this perfect combination of perfect food, service, elegance and music (live).

I cant wait to go back....time at Panza verde is quality time!!! Period!!! :D

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Pekka S
Poznan, Poland
Reviewed 3 May 2014 via mobile

The hotel is beautiful, elegant. Rooms nicely furnished. When you come in you enter kind of different world. There was live music and couple of weddings receptions when we were in. Tasty and nice breakfast. One con was the restaurant in front of our doors.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank adri_fisher
California
Reviewed 26 April 2014

We arrived in Antigua after 10 p.m. from Guatemala City after stopping there for my friend. We had rented a car and spent two nights in Flores with a visit to Tikal. Needless to say we were exhausted by the time we reached Antigua. After entering the city, we were lost with no sense of direction. We kept driving down, dark, lonely, lovely cobblestone streets with no idea where to go. We stopped at a couple of places, but the few people that were out at the time had no idea where the street was or where this hotel is located. We decided to call the hotel, and the young man who answered the phone was extremely helpful. I speak fluent Spanish so I had no problems in that aspect.

He directed me back to the main plaza and told me exactly where to turn and when, but my brain wasn't functioning and I ended up getting lost again. After calling the hotel for the second time we were able to find the hotel, and I was very impressed. We were pulling in as one of their employees was pulling out ready to find us and take us the hotel. From that moment on I knew we had hit the jackpot. We were directed to their very private parking lot, and were helped with our luggage. We were taken to a desk where the young man gave us the keys to our room #5. The room had been prepaid, and the young man told us that he was going to take us to our room and we could register the following morning.

He took our luggage up a flight of stairs and opened the room. I had never, and I mean NEVER seen such a beautiful room. For starters, the room was ultra clean. The room opens up to a living room elegantly appointed with french doors that lead to a semi private balcony with tables, chairs, and a very inviting hammock. I say semi private because the balcony is shared with suite #6. The bedroom is a bit on the small side with a queen size bed. It has a closet with two bathrobes, a safe box, and a very nice blanket for those chilly nights. Double doors lead to a humongous bathroom, with a very large bathtub, and it has all the standard hotel amenities of lotion, shampoo, conditioner and shower cap. It also has a pitcher of filtered water, a coffee maker with everything you need to make a cup of coffee or hot tea. My mouth dropped to the floor when I saw the ceiling and the beautiful chandelier....seeing is believing and the pictures do not give the room any justice. We were so happy with our accommodations that somehow we were no longer tired or sleepy, and did not call it a night until 2:30 a.m.

Breakfast the next morning left much to be desired. It was a complete flop. Its only saving grace was the polite lady named Blanca who diligent oversees the breakfast area and chats with the guests. It is hard to understand how this beautiful boutique hotel serves such a mediocre breakfast. The only thing I truly enjoyed was the delicious tamales.We ate there the first morning, and then the second morning I went down to breakfast by myself and I noticed that nothing was being replenished. I have no idea if this was because breakfast was soon to be over, but I had taken the last slices of cheese, and I noticed no more cheese was replaced. A couple came after I did, and they were left with not much to eat.

The first morning we were woken up by the sweet melodies of the birds singing. My traveling companion actually thought it was a recording, but when I asked an employee, we were assured that it was not a recording. It was soothing and peaceful. I made dinner reservations for that evening making sure to have a table by the pool.

The grounds are immaculate with beautiful flowers everywhere. The terrace on the rooftop is lovely with plenty of tables and chairs. Our room was upstairs but our balcony was roped off meaning that it was off limits to those enjoying the rooftop. We had complete access to the rooftop. I mean all the guests do, but our room was practically on the rooftop itself. After oohing and aahing we finally made our way to the main plaza which is a short distance away. I was NOT prepared for walking on the cobblestone streets, and as much as I loved what I was seeing, my tootsies were already hurting even though I was wearing comfortable shoes. We had lunch at a small place and were full, so we decided to cancel our dinner reservations which means we never ate at the restaurant but we were too full from our lunch.

We went back to the hotel and just basked in its ambiance. I noticed that suite #6 was empty and was being cleaned. I asked the employee about it and he told me that the room was soon to be occupied, and I asked him if I could take a peek and he graciously allowed me to look. The room was as lovely as the one we were staying in, but it did not have a separate living room whereas our suite did. After canceling our dinner reservation my buddy was hungry and went out to find something to eat while I stayed in the room. After a while, I was brought the most delicious sandwich I had ever eaten in my life.We ate on the terrace and just wiled the time away.

We spent two beautiful days in this hotel and we were very reluctant to leave. We laid in the hammock and talked, and talked trying to enjoy every single second of this lovely stay. Needless to say, the time did come where we had to check out, but vowed to return and reserve both suites 5 & 6 for our friends and have the entire balcony just for our group. Upon checking out, we were presented with very pretty luggage tags with the name of the hotel embroidered.

If you like the pictures you see in their website and anywhere else, just remember that the hotel, its grounds and rooms are 100x more beautiful than what any picture can tell.

Room Tip: No AC in room, but none needed. If anything, you can have the chimney lit up,
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Nereida
Memphis, Tennessee
Reviewed 21 April 2014 via mobile

We loved five night in Meson Panza Verde. With Room 6, our Room 5 shares entrance to the lovely rooftop perch -- perfect for early morning coffee and a glorious sunrise. The fare is as high as USA prices, but pamper yourself with this very quiet and very nicely created luxury. Don't spend all your time here, however, or you'll miss the life in the streets of Antigua, Guatemala.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank herbgunn
Reston, Virginia
Reviewed 18 April 2014

I stayed for one night last week in room 43. The room is beautiful but due to the noise I didn't sleep very well. It sounded like a flock of birds was living on the roof right over my room.

The hotel is beautiful and very well cared for. Nice dinner in the restaurant. Skip the escargot, but the cheese plate is surprisingly good.

When In Antigua I will stay here again, but in a different room.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
mesonpanzaverde, Guest Relations Manager at Meson Panza Verde, responded to this review, 23 April 2014
Thank you for staying at Meson Panza Verde and for your review. Concerning those pesky birds, we can only guess they chose to spend the night en route to somewhere else, since it's the first time this issue is brought to our attention. We are nonetheless glad you've decided to stay with us again in the future, and will make sure you enjoy a featherless night when you do so.