“Wonderful quiet place”
Review of Posada Los Bucaros

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Antigua
Posada Los Bucaros
Ranked #38 of 75 Hotels in Antigua
Reviewed 29 June 2010

We had a group of 25 on a medical mission. The staff were very friendly and helpful. We had some access to the kitchen. Breakfast was arranged for the group for a low prices...and the staff served great and varied breakfasts, tables set nicely and a fire in the fireplace. It was a little strange having a open window in the bathroom. It was a little cool at nights so we kept the bathroom door closed to keep the cool air out. Nice places to sit around in the patio areas. The have a computer available and wifi (two different routers on the two sides of the hotel so if you carry your laptop from one side to the other, you will have to change signals and passwords).

Rooms vary in size, furniture and number of beds. Some have skylights.

Not a far walk to the center of town but you are far enough away that you don't have crowds or extra noise.

We were there the week of a festival which featured loud fireworks at random times during the day and night...but that doesn't have anything to do with the hotel.

• Stayed: June 2010

Reviewed 7 April 2010

We stayed at Los Bucaros as part of Gap Adventures Tour and ened up extending few more days. We really lucked out as we happened to be there during Cuaresma and the beginning of Semana Santa (Holy Week). We went around seeing the Palm Sunday procession and when we returned, voila!, the procession passed right in front of our hotel. Even during the busy time, the hotel accommodated us. Other than Internet not working/intermittently working, they have free coffee and water, as well as friendly staff. The rooms were clean and nice... the only weird thing was that the bathrooms have these huge clover-shaped openings to the courtyard...which let mosquitos into our bathroom. Sounds like room conditions varied, but our room #1 (which had 4 beds) and #2 were fine. For $60, I thought it was really a good deal.

One night, they had some banquet and had mariachi band... the walls almost crumbled because it was bit loud... but it was still quite entertaining... great music!

I hear Guatemala is quite dangerous... I heard it first-hand from various Antiguans.... it was pretty apparent as this hotel had two double locked doors with wrought-iron gates. That was the case in most of the tiendas (little stores). Even then, we didn't really feel unsafe... Our group walked around at night and it seemed fine.

Two of us got airport transporation for $50 by two staff who were very nice. I would highly recommend this hotel. (Extra note: If you want to splurge a bit, though, Santo Domingo Hotel was incredible situated on a site of a ruin. I would have liked to stay there for a bit. Wish I knew about it before... Visited on the last day... still lamenting about it.)

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 March 2010

Lovely little hotel located about 4-5 blocks (6 min walk to central square). Free wifi (.2mb).

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 20 October 2009

Beautiful, spacious and comfortable hotel just a few blocks from the central plaza of La Antigua. Easy access to great restaurants, transport, laundry and other conveniences.
The colonial style charm and the breathtaking views of the volcanos from the hotel make it a perfect place to relax and enjoy. There are three separate courtyards where you can enjoy time alone or chat with friends.
The staff were friendly and helpful, the rooms were clean and spacious and there was cable TV in the room. A fully equipped kitchen was available and there was free coffee 24/7 in reception. The reception area was staffed day and night.
I was sorry to leave and would recommend Posada los Bucaros to anyone staying in Antigua. I will go back there.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank dude6988
Reviewed 27 September 2008

I came here the night before a GAP Adventures Tour (this is the allocated hotel in Antigua for GAP Adventures tours) mainly because I was staying with a Guatemalan family and couldn't stand to sleep there another night due to ants crawling round the bed..

I made the reservation quite late in the evening but luckily they had a room available with TV and hot hot hot shower which was indeed welcome! The room was clean and comfortable. Had a great night's sleep but unfortunately had to move to another room when the tour started the next night.

This next room was basic and obviously much cheaper than my previous room including the shower which was simply cold.

I would recommend viewing the rooms before you pay for them if you stay here. Location wise, its a few blocks away from the main square which will take you about 10 mins walk.. but then again everything is close to each other in Antigua.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Stormchild83
Reviewed 12 January 2007

We stayed at Los Bucaros recently and had a very pleasant experience. It's clean and well kept. Well located - a bit out of the tourist fray which is nice. You can walk to anything in 20 minutes or less anyway.... Fairly quiet though the walls are thin! I would absolutely recommend this to others.

• Stayed: January 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
2  Thank Mardi M
Reviewed 26 May 2006

I've stayed at Los Bucaros many times and I have noticed that the hotel has become steadily worse. Some rooms are great, while others have NO windows...not even to the courtyard. Coudpled with NO fans, some rooms can get VERY stuffy.

Also, the owners kids stay at the hotel, which is FINE..I have kids myself. But the owner let's the go totally crazy at all hours of the day and night and it is REALLY hard to sleep with kids running around 2 feet outside of your door (which has to be slightly ajar because of the no window thing).

The've also screwed up my reservations the last two times I stayed there.

I gave them a bunch of chances because I've had some GREAT experiences there, but after the last visit, I think I'm don with Los Bucaros.

• Stayed: March 2005