“Great Stay”

Ranked #3 of 133 Antigua B&B and Inns
Stamford, Connecticut
“Great Stay”
Reviewed 9 August 2013

This hotel sets the bar really high for hotels in Guatemala. We got upgraded for free to a suite and it's just amazing. Beautiful interior design, high vaulted sealing, nice little terrace. Rooms are super clean, the service is very professional. Breakfast on the roof terrace overlooking the old town with views of volcanoes will stay in my memory forever. We stayed in 3 more hotels in Guatemala and kept comparing them to Sor Juana and none of them come even close.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kilativ

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
New York, New York, United States
Reviewed 5 August 2013

My son who is 5years old and I stayed in this hotel on July 2013 for 4nights, and we had an amazing time there!
The hotel is very historical. It's is a part of the church and they renovated it. It's like a museum. Soooo pretty...! All the decorations, furniture,amenities,gardens, staffs, service, food.....EVERYTHING was perfect!

The hotel is very well maintained and clean. The staffs were always helpful and nice.
They have a beautiful roof top which has an amazing volcano view and you can eat delicious breakfast there. I had the best breakfast in my life.... They even warmed the mild for coffee! (Of course the bread was warm too!)

The location is great too. It's not in the center of the Antigua but it's really close. It's very quiet (you wake up with birds singing every morning) and very safe area.

I'd love to go back and stay there again! The hotel made our trip special!!!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank travler20122012
Heredia, Costa Rica
Reviewed 24 July 2013

This hotel is just one of the best hotels I've been to. It is not one of those big hotels but it being small actually makes it cousy. The staff is really nice. Julio is just amazing and understands that while on vacation, there should be no schedules! Julio is super customer service focused and does know how to treat clients and make sure you feel like at home. I can't stress enough how amazed I was by how nice they are; they even upgraded us to a bigger room just because it was available 2 days in our stay! HIGHLY recomend this hotel, I would go back for sure! Be careful, beds are sooooo good and confy that you wont want to leave them, hehe

Room Tip: Suites are amazing!
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank ariasmjose
USA
Reviewed 24 June 2013

This hotel is one of those special places you will not easily forget. Once a colonial cloistered monastery, this building was lovingly restored to much of its original glory, and the additions that were constructed by the owners blend in perfectly, both in decor and in physical arrangement. Add to all of this the wonderful, friendly staff, and you have a great place to stay in Antigua.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Bob H
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 21 June 2013

We recently spent 4 nights at the Sor Juana and I have to say our room and stay was just one ceiling fan from prefect. By that, I mean that if our room had a ceiling fan, I would have no complaints. Sitting on the roof terrance, eating fresh cooked breakfast, drinking cups of great Guatemalan coffee, and, oh yeah, theres a volcano to look at. Not too shabby.
Hotel is small, 5 rooms, and is in a renovated old house. We had a suite with twin queens, a sitting area, and a bathroom with a jacuzzi tub. Very clean, very comfortable with top notch toiletries. The entire roof of the house is a terrace, some covered, which was a great place to drink a little wine during the afternoon rainstorm.

It's about 5 blocks off the main plaza, which makes it quiet at night. The neighborhood includes the wildly popular Dominos franchise, several good resturants, and a couple of small stores to get supplies. Also, right accross from the hotel is a laundermat that will clean your clothes and deliver to the hotel. The only weird thing, which seems to be the norm in Antigua, is that all the houses are behind large walls that face the street and you have to buzz someone to be let in. We never had a key to get into the main door, but there was always someone to let us in. It being the rainy season, we didn't want to get stuck outdoors, and we never were. Almost everyplace in Antigua works this way and it made us feel very secure.

Julio the manager was incredibly nice and helpful. The staff couldn't do enough to help.
If you are in Antigua to do business, this place is probably not for you. If you are there to relax and experience Antigua, I can't say enough nice things about the Sur Juana.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank photoguy55711
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 8 June 2013

I haven't even finished my stay at Sor Juana but am enjoying it so much that I just have to write my review now, while sitting in my beautiful room. Everything about this place is exquisite, very comfortable and homely. The staff are wonderful and really interesting to chat with, the bed is beautifully comfortable, and breakfast on the terrace with volcano views is a real treat and makes the room even better value. I particularly love the art and textiles decorating the whole place. If I didn't live so far away, I would say I'd come back to Antigua again soon just to stay here!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
Hamilton, Canada
Reviewed 8 May 2013

Unreal place to stay. We were nervous about staying in Guatemala and this hotel and staff made us feel right at home and safe. The property is stunning and the staff went above and beyond to make our stay memorable. The location is close to the strip and far enough that it is nice and quiet at bed time.

The staff we cannot praise enough, they helped us so much with day trips and even planning further into our backpacking adventure. Will recommend this hotel to everyone thinking of staying in antigua :)

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends