“My favourite coffee shop in Antigua”
Review of Cafe El Portal

Cafe El Portal
Ranked #12 of 30 Coffee & Tea in Antigua
Cuisines: Guatemalan
Reviewed 4 November 2017 via mobile

Located in the center of Antigua this coffee shop attracts tourists as well as locals with their open bar which is overlooking Parque Centrsl and the Cathedral. Its a good place to study since its not too noisy but also to meet people since the big bar invitets you to have a chat with your neighbour. Staff is very friendly. My fav drink here - Cappuccino.

Reviewed 7 August 2017 via mobile

My friend ordered a chocolate milkshake which tasted awful and bitter. When we told the people and asked if we could get a coffee instead we got that, but still had to pay for the shake. When we complained they just said "not our problem". What happened with customer service and satisfaction?

Reviewed 1 September 2016 via mobile

Had breakfast here posted up at the bar which is a great spot to see the town roll by going about their business. We both got the breakfast sets with fried eggs, beans, cheese, and sausage/bacon, with coffee and an orange juice. Good offer for Q50-55.
Loved the good strong coffee and cold refreshing orange juice! Perfect start to the day. The breakfast plate isn't Instagram worthy but tasted better than it presented. Served up with sliced slightly crunchy croissant/roll (?) and salsa. It kept us on our feet exploring the city for many hours after!

Reviewed 14 July 2016 via mobile

Portal is a comfortable cafe right on the plaza. A bar with stools sits at the entrance. Nice place to settle into, enjoy a coffee and watch the traffic through the plaza.

My wife and I have enjoyed the cappuccino. Probably the best that we have had so far in Antigua. We have tried to venture to as many coffee shops as possible. We haven't yet canvassed enough, and none of the shops so far are great. Our current top choices are Portal and Fat Cat.

Beyond the coffee, the smoothies are excellent. All of our teens love them. Favorites are strawberry/banana with water and strawberry with orange juice.

Scrambled eggs are well prepared, but I do not recommend the "El Portal" which includes eggs scrambled in heavy cream. The eggs are delicious but the accompanying roasted tomatoes were coated in an Italian seasoning mix that was so heavy that I felt as if I was eating dried alfalfa hay.

The cheese cake is delicious. Definitely worth a visit for dessert.

Reviewed 7 July 2016

I am usually in Antigua a couple of times a year, and I love starting the day there with breakfast at the coffee bar. You can eat there alone or with a couple other people and enjoy the people watching of the sidewalk and the square just outside. The basic breakfast is reasonable and delicious; I especially love the fried plantains.