“ATTACKED IN BROAD DAYLIGHT”
Review of Cerro de la Cruz

Ranked #7 of 82 things to do in Antigua
Toronto, Canada
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“ATTACKED IN BROAD DAYLIGHT”
Reviewed 16 July 2014

Okay I am sorry to all on here. I am a backpacker and hate when people come on here making people scared but I believe it is my duty to let everyone here know that NO this is not a safe place to walk to at any part of the day cause me and my friend were attacked TODAY around 1:00pm-2:00pm on the stairs coming down from the cross. When I came to the cross I had come by Tuk Tuk. I had met a very fellow backpacker and we got to talking. I decided that since I had read on here police are all around and I was with another person I decided it would be safe enough to walk back down. At the time I went to the cross there was a police officer at the top. We started walking down made it MAYBE 1-2 minute from the top when two seemly normal looking young local guys crossed our path. They grabbed my friend and he dragged her off the path. She was kicking and screaming and I was screaming for help . NO ONE came. We were screaming for a few minutes as she was trying to fight off the man and I was trying to scream for help. Not one person came. They eventually ran off as I guess they got scared and realized we were not going to back down and maybe someone may hear. We ran back up to the top to find the police officer and were told by a group of local guys that the officer had left. They offered to walk us down the path and to see if we could find the 2 guys. NOT ONE POLICE OFFICER WAS ON THE PATH ON THE WHOLE WAY DOWN. I don't know if they go to lunch or what happens but we did not see one officer! There were also some locals at the bottom that said they could hear us scream and saw 2 guys running away but they did nothing. I am also certain people at the top heard us scream as we were not far from the top and they did nothing. Please don't get a false sense of security. This can happen to anyone. I agree it is an absolute beautiful view but I can only imagine how much worse it would have been if we were alone. Please at no point travel in anything less then a group preferably with guys. I would never recommend anyone to walk that path alone or being just girls. Take a taxi or tuk tuk there AND back if you want to go up. I have been in Guatemala for a month and in Antigua 3 times cause I always felt safe here. Its upsetting that this experience is going to change my view. I still really like Antigua I feel safe in town. But don't risk the walk to the cross unless in a group and don't go out at night! I hope that this review opens some peoples eyes as I am still in shock that this happened to me and no one was around to help us and the supposed 4-6 police were no where in sight. I have been here a couple weeks and it was her very first day visiting. It can happen to anyone. Stay Safe.

7 Thank RubyR1111

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Melbourne, Australia
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“Great view of Antigua ”
Reviewed 16 July 2014 via mobile

Easy to find, follow 1A Avendida north which will take you to the bottom of the steps, easy to spot. Great views from the top but go on a clear day so you can see volcano agua as it's pretty spectacular to see, the are around the cross is pretty disgusting with rubbish everywhere etc it could be a really nice place if it was looked after.

As everyone else has said use caution, don't go before the sun comes up or after it goes it down. There are police stationed on the hill now so it's relatively safe.

Orlando, Florida
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Very Nice View”
Reviewed 15 July 2014

318 Steps to the top, 100% worth it. An incredible view an easy scenic climb. Look for the cell tower designed to look like a real tree. Why are we doing that everywhere.

Antigua, Guatemala
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Night-time”
Reviewed 15 July 2014

OK, I know I shouldn't say this but this is the most amazing place to visit at Night. Just carry your handgun with you because it's a bit shady of a walk through the forest to get there.

Antigua, Guatemala
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Just go!”
Reviewed 8 July 2014

I lived in Antigua for a couple years, and I went here soooo many times. The first time, of course, was for the awesome view. But I also went a few times a week for exercise. Sometimes I would go alone, sometimes with a friend, sometimes I'd bring a friend's dog. Don't be scared away by all the stuff you hear about it not being safe and not to go. Just use common sense! Don't go before the sun is out, and don't go after the sun goes down! Pay attention to who is behind you, in front of you, in the trees, etc. Obviously, it is best to go with a group of people. There are usually 2-3 police scattered about up there (though not all police are "good" police.) I never felt scared when I was up there. So definitely go up to the cross. It only takes maybe 10 min or so to go up there (there are cement steps/path).

Visited August 2013